Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 02:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Fozzie Gets New Chips!

Gave up the hunt yesterday to find a decent looking HU to rip apart and decided to go ahead and use the original HU.
So, spent the morning opening up the center console and taking out the stereo.
The faceplate of this unit (Matsushita/Panasonic) just clips onto the main casing and there are no wires to connect it to the main unit, only two built in sockets.Fozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip1.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip2.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip3.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip4.jpg
Removed the 6CD changer, tape player etc. from the HU chassis and was left with this.
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip5.jpg
The following pics show the barebone chassis with the faceplate clipped on, then with the MSI mainboard in place and then with the slot loading DVD drive mock positioned behind the CD loading slot of the HU faceplate.

So for now the hardware placement is;
Mainboard, HDD, Arduino, DVD drive behind the HU and the M4ATX PSU and GPS behind the touch screen in the dash top pod.
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip6.jpgFozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip7.jpgFozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip8.jpgFozzie Gets New Chips!-stereorip9.jpg
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 12:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

So, would you loose the 6 CD changer and the DVD drive occupies that slot?
Old 25th June 2011, 13:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
So, would you loose the 6 CD changer and the DVD drive occupies that slot?
Yes, The 6CD changer is removed and the DVD drive takes it place. This setup is the best compromise setting I could think of. What do you say? Apart from dismantling the HU, no modification has been done to any HU component till now.

The only part to get hacked would be the PCB for the front panel, but I am trying to make a replica pcb with only the circuits/connections required for controlling the PC. I have already found the layout for the original PCB, need to use it as a template to create the customized PCB. This would also allow me to use a HD44780 protocol LCD which will be designed into the PCB, onto which various info can be displayed from the PC. If this can be accomplished then the original PCB will not be tampered with. All in all, if all goes well this should be a totally reversible mod.
Cheers
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-pcb-matsushita-p124-e88801.jpg

Last edited by gotzuk : 25th June 2011 at 13:08.
Old 5th July 2011, 00:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

So is the Arduino working?? Or are you thinking of something else now??
Old 5th July 2011, 01:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
So is the Arduino working?? Or are you thinking of something else now??
Arduino is working as it should. The PC now detects the Arduino as a USB HID Keyboard. I have a basic code running which can send a combination of virtual keyboard buttons(upto 6) for every mechanical button press to the PC. Tested it with CF and it works perfect. I have no formal education in software so I am waiting for a friend to tie up the loose ends and button up the code for me.

In the mean time, a visit to Driven in East of Kailash, (looking for an amplifier, since the HU is no more) and a subsequent meeting with Gunbir, has added more complexity to the mix

Cheers
Old 9th July 2011, 17:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Since its s SUV i hope there is adequate space behind the headunit to take care of the connectors and the cable bends. Looks good

Last edited by gigy : 9th July 2011 at 17:12.
Old 9th July 2011, 23:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Since its s SUV i hope there is adequate space behind the headunit to take care of the connectors and the cable bends. Looks good
Thanks gigy.

Not really! The space behind the headunit after it is installed is really tight as the cooling coil enclosure is right behind. The motherboard extends about an inch behind the headunit chassis so standard cable connectors are a very very tight fit.

I am trying (unsuccessfully) to source right angle USB connectors and 3.5 mm audio jacks to fit it all in comfortably.
Old 7th November 2011, 23:07   #38
BHPian

Update:
The PC is up and running and so far it has been rock solid in terms of reliabilty.
I am currently using RideRunner mostly for media playback through Foobar (much better sound quality than the native CF media engine) and Centrafuse for SatNav/ Internet Radio/ Google Maps etc.
Audio is processed via Audiomulch for crossover/time alignment and output to a Asus Xonar D2X sound card for analogue out.

For internet I am using a Airtel 3G USB datacard connected to a Asus WL330N3G portable router/ which is powered through a USB charger and is connected to the PC via ethernet cable.
The router can also connect to multiple wifi devices and in effect turns the car into a mobile hotspot.

For FM radio I have picked up a Directed HD Radio and have installed it behind the glove box but I am yet to connect it to the PC.

The stereo faceplate is currently non functional as I have not been able to take out time to wrap it up. More on that front soon though (hopefully)!
Old 8th November 2011, 18:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Update:
The PC is up and running and so far it has been rock solid in terms of reliabilty.
Can you please post the pictures?
Old 11th November 2011, 01:48   #40
BHPian

Hi Guna, here you go! I have also started a thread on the audio upgrade
The PC unit, finally had to hack the HU chassis to let the motherboard and sound card ports to exit from the sides as there was no way to exit them both from the rear due to space constraints.
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_9386a.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_9384a.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_9383a.jpg

The handsfree mic and GPS antennae.
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_0644a.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_0643a.jpg

The cup holder had to be removed so that cables could be attached, now the cup holder's front plastic panel (the one that is pushed to release the holder) is under the scalpel to accommodate USB and AUX ports.
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_9623a.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-img_0638a.jpg
Fozzie Gets New Chips!-subinstall001.jpg
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks