Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2006, 11:56   #1
Team-BHP Support

DIY Josh - Installing the ICE myself

DIY JOSH -->

In the josh of DIY and loads of spirit from Navin, Vivek, Sam, Gunbir, Jasdeep and many more I have decided to do an install

in my Getz myself. I stripped the existing system in my Zen myself and realised the importance of a good install. The Milan

subway installer has screwed the system royally with wire cuts everywhere possible and used some cheap interconnects (read

RCA, power and speaker cables - details in pics). The current system I have is:

- Pioneer KEH-P7025 cassette player
- Pioneer CDX-P1270 12CD changer
- Pioneer 6x9 Oval speakers
- Sony XM-444 Amplifier
- Pioneer TS-W304F 12"sub woofer

Am going to add the following to the existing setup:
- JBL GTO 606ce
- JBL 636e
- JBL CS 60.4

I am a layman when it comes to car audio install being a systems and network administrator by profession all I can do without

problems is networking. Car audio is somewhat similar IMO just a networking all the components to talk to each other in their

own RMS, Hz language. I can read simple wiring diagrams and make connections. I DONT trust any installer in Pune and I have

seen the way they perform a job.

Seeing the wiring diagram I can install a single amplifier speaker system. But I want to put in 2 amps, 6 speakers and 1

subwoofer. I understand I will require a distribution block but I have never seen how it looks, how to connect it? etc.
Need advice/directions here. Which brand of block should I use?

Starting from the Headunit connections I have 14 wires coming out from the back of the unit:

1) Orange with an ILL label?
2) Red with ACC label
3) Black with no label (Should this be the ground)
4) Yellow with a battery label - Should I extend this to go directly to the +ve terminal of the battery
5) Yellow with black stripe with a mute label
6) Blue with white stripe which should go to the system remote control (Where?)

Speaker wires:
lower part (left to right)
7) 2nos. of violet wires
8) 1 Green wire
9) 1 green wire with black stripe

upper part (left to right)
10) 1 grey wire
11) 1 grey wire with black stripe
12) 1 white wire
13) 1 white wire with black stripe

Details in pics--

Is shall post more wiring diagram pictures if required? Also have many more queries which I shall post after this issue is resolved.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th February 2006 at 11:58.
Old 6th February 2006, 12:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Orange with an ILL label? - Illumination connection. In the getz there will be a wire that gives out 12V when the parking lights are on, and 0V when they are off. This connection is purely optional and will result in a dimmer display on your HU when you switch the parking lights on.
2) Red with ACC label - This connection will go to your Key Switch. Key (accessory position) on will be +12V, off will be )0V. A common japanese colour code for this is a thick white wire with a black stripe.
3) Black with no label (Should this be the ground) Absolutely. Either chassis ground, or you will find a black ground point in the harness.
4) Yellow with a battery label - Should I extend this to go directly to the +ve terminal of the battery - Absolutely. But again, no need to extend this wire directly to the battery - you will find a "always on" wire in the harness. Typically thick, plain white.
5) Yellow with black stripe with a mute label - If you have a mobile phone kit attached to the HU, you use this wire, or else not.
6) Blue with white stripe which should go to the system remote control (Where?) This wire is a trigger on or off for the amplifier. If you use an amp, you will find 3 power connections on it. One is to the battery (+) one to the chassis earth (-) and the 3rd, typicaly called "P.Connect" or "trigger" is the one that will go to this wire.

Speaker wires:
7) 2nos. of violet wires - Wrong. Violet and violet with black stripe. Rear right. Black stripe is negative.
8) 1 Green wire - rear left positive
9) 1 green wire with black stripe - rear left negative

10) 1 grey wire right front positive
11) 1 grey wire with black stripe - right front negative
12) 1 white wire - left front positive
13) 1 white wire with black stripe - left front negative
Old 6th February 2006, 12:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are using an amp.... you will not be using all the speaker connections from your HU. a 444 will support a pair of speakers and a sub. You could connect 4 speakers and the sub to it, but that is an overload.

Connect the front 606Ce to the front channel of the amp. (in which case the grey and the white wires will be not connected from the HU) add the sub to the rear channel of the amp. You will need 2 RCA cables, one running from the front out of the HU and the other from the subwoofer non fading out. Both these are the "wire" RCA connections. The pin type RCA connection (rear out) will be not used. Unless you get another 2 channel amp or a mono amp for the sub and drive all 4 speakers off the amp.
Old 6th February 2006, 14:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

1) Orange with an ILL label? - Wont use this I like watching the dolphins bright
2) Red with ACC label - Will I be able to crimp this wire to the connector and then connect it to the switch or will I have to just wrap this wire around the switch terminal?
3) Black with no label -- What is an ideal location for ground?
4) Yellow with a battery label -- Got it
5) Yellow with black stripe with a mute label - will not be used
6) Blue with white stripe which should go to the system remote control (Where?) This wire is a trigger on or off for the amplifier. If you use an amp, you will find 3 power connections on it. One is to the battery (+) one to the chassis earth (-) and the 3rd, typicaly called "P.Connect" or "trigger" is the one that will go to this wire. -- Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Speaker wires:
7) 2nos. of violet wires - Wrong. Violet and violet with black stripe. Rear right. Black stripe is negative.
8) 1 Green wire - rear left positive
9) 1 green wire with black stripe - rear left negative
10) 1 grey wire right front positive
11) 1 grey wire with black stripe - right front negative
12) 1 white wire - left front positive
13) 1 white wire with black stripe - left front negative
If I use 2 amps then I dont have to use any of these wires, is it?

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th February 2006 at 14:27.
Old 6th February 2006, 14:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since you are using an amp.... you will not be using all the speaker connections from your HU. a 444 will support a pair of speakers and a sub. You could connect 4 speakers and the sub to it, but that is an overload.
Connect the front 606Ce to the front channel of the amp. (in which case the grey and the white wires will be not connected from the HU) add the sub to the rear channel of the amp. You will need 2 RCA cables, one running from the front out of the HU and the other from the subwoofer non fading out. Both these are the "wire" RCA connections. The pin type RCA connection (rear out) will be not used. Unless you get another 2 channel amp or a mono amp for the sub and drive all 4 speakers off the amp.
My plan is different --

Current Pioneer ovals and the Sub will be driven by the 444.
The JBL606ce and the JBL636e will be on the JBLCS60.4 Amp.

Will it sound good this way? I will be upgrading the current Sub and amp later.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th February 2006 at 14:31.
Old 6th February 2006, 14:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
My plan is different --

Current Pioneer ovals and the Sub will be driven by the 444.
The JBL606ce and the JBL636e will be on the JBLCS60.4 Amp.

Will it sound good this way? I will be upgrading the current Sub and amp later.
Wow thats a lot of speakers. Yes you can do that pretty well. However, i'd put the sub on the 60.4 bridged as the sub will need more power than that 444 can handle.
I suggest you put the components and the sub on the CS60.4 and the 4 rear speakers on the 444.
Old 6th February 2006, 15:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow thats a lot of speakers. ...I suggest you put the components and the sub on the CS60.4 and the 4 rear speakers on the 444.
Do what Sam says. It is perfect. 444 on is SPL system and 444 off is the SQ system. :-)

Just kidding.

Any reason why you intend to install all your speakers in one car? You need only 4 speakers and a sub. I'd drop the 6x9 altogether. use the 444 (bridged) to drive the rear 606 and the 60.4 for the components and the sub or better still see if you can trade in the 444 and 6x9 for a better amp than the 444 (say JBL 60.2?)

BTW I also suspect you will enjoy the sound with the 444 turned off better than with the 444 turned on.

Last edited by navin : 6th February 2006 at 15:09.
Old 6th February 2006, 16:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Pioneer 6x9's are out now .. I know I was overdoing it. Should I go for 2 sub's?

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th February 2006 at 16:15.
Old 6th February 2006, 16:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pioneer 6x9's are out now .. I know I was overdoing it. Should I go for 2 sub's?
2 subs? ok what are gonna use to power them with.

the 60.4 can power 1 sub and the fronts. the 444 might power 2 small subs or 2 rears. for 2 subs you'd really need 2 60.4 then you use 1 60.4 for the front and rear and the second for the 2 subs.
Old 6th February 2006, 21:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

Ok Subwoofer idea dropped too. Will stick with 4 speakers, 1 woofer and 2 amps.
Old 6th February 2006, 23:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I use 2 amps then I dont have to use any of these wires, is it?
Am I right? What brand/grade/ratings of wires should be used to extend the exisiting outputs from the headunit?
Old 7th February 2006, 09:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

For RCA I can suggest Monster's Interlink Jr. It is expensive for what it does and there is better wire at the same cost but Monster is freely available and has good QC.

Belden is another alternate.

For speaker wire I use a 100 strand instrumention wire. Actually you can use the same wire for your RCA but it is mighty thick for car use.
Old 7th February 2006, 13:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

Sam please check your PM and reply back ASAP. Thanks
Old 7th February 2006, 14:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
For speaker wire I use a 100 strand instrumention wire. Actually you can use the same wire for your RCA but it is mighty thick for car use.
What gauge of 100 strand wire should I go for? Should I go for Belden?
Old 7th February 2006, 15:18   #15
BHPian

It's very simple. Get the best ones you can afford. I could afford only Boss interconnects but I can always upgrade later.

And before you dropped some speakers from your install list, I think your system playing in Mum would be heard in Pune.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 7th February 2006 at 15:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks