Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 20:23   #1
BHPian

Suggestion for free air subwoofer in 8".

I am planning to add two 8" free air subwoofers( low cost) in the rear deck of my Ford Figo (EXI) with OEM Head unit. Cannot think of boxes as the boot space is required.
I have a 4 ch Amplifier which has an output of 2 x 200 WRMS @4 ohms in bridged mode and has speaker level inputs. If I run the amplifier with speaker level inputs, whether a remote turn on connection is required?
How good is a pair of JBL GTO804 subwoofers for this setup?
Need advice/suggestions from forum mates .

Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestion for free air subwoofer in 8".

What speakers do you have in your car otherwise? Even 8" subs can be overpowering (and you want to put 2 at that), and you will land up having a terribly unbalanced system.

* Your amp will not be able to drive the subs. If 2 of the 4ohm usual subs are connected in parallel, you will get 2ohms - which your amp will not be able to drive in bridge mode. To achieve that you will have to hunt for 2ohm subs, which are rare in 8", and connect them in series
* There are some amps which sense the input level and turn themselves on - not sure if your amp has that feature. If not, you will have to wire the remote turn-on output of the HU to the amp
* Instead, it is better you put good 6x9 ovals on the plank, connected to the rear channels of the amp. The bass is likely to be almost as good as the 8" subs
Old 29th June 2011, 12:01   #3
BHPian

Prass: Are you sure JBL GTO804 are 8" ers ? Last time i checked the only good 8" Subwoofers were made by Polk audio. Please confirm.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 29th June 2011, 15:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What speakers do you have in your car otherwise? Even 8" subs can be overpowering (and you want to put 2 at that), and you will land up having a terribly unbalanced system.

* Your amp will not be able to drive the subs. If 2 of the 4ohm usual subs are connected in parallel, you will get 2ohms - which your amp will not be able to drive in bridge mode. To achieve that you will have to hunt for 2ohm subs, which are rare in 8", and connect them in series
* There are some amps which sense the input level and turn themselves on - not sure if your amp has that feature. If not, you will have to wire the remote turn-on output of the HU to the amp
* Instead, it is better you put good 6x9 ovals on the plank, connected to the rear channels of the amp. The bass is likely to be almost as good as the 8" subs
Speakers are the OEM ones on the four doors and I feel that they are ok. Ford Figo has a decent OEM system and only the bass is lacking at high volumes.
The amp is four channel which gives two bridged output channels so I was thinking to connect two 4 ohm subwoofers to these individual channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Prass: Are you sure JBL GTO804 are 8" ers ? Last time i checked the only good 8" Subwoofers were made by Polk audio. Please confirm.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Yes, they are. JBL GTO804
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks