Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 16:18   #1
BANNED

My Alto's Audio System!

Got my car delivered about 2 months back and I haven't had the time to ICE it up . Basically the car bought for school errands and i had no intention for using it otherwise .

My other car was given for service and I had no other option but to use the alto for my use and I found it boring to drive without music .

My search started 2 weeks back and looking at the HU , my options were that pre -out was necessary . The cd was not essential as after a couple of uses I found skipping and pot holes unavoidable .

Zeroed on a Sony DSX-100 as it was very cheap , decent build quality can be expected from sony and other similar models from different brands were not avaliable .

The Alto can accomodate only 4 inch speakers and I did not want to mount the speakers on the doors , so I had only 2 options
1. illusion audio comps
2. JBL coaxials

I mentioned only 2 options because I ruled out sony , and most of the brands did not have a coaxial speakers ..
The illusion audio coax were not avaliable and I am not really a patient person when it comes to waiting for something . Finalised on the JBL coaxials .

I had a pio d991s speakers which i bought about 3 years back and never used it , so thought i would use it for the rears .

The installation was done and the first thing I noticed was that the setup was very harsh sounding . It was not my taste and I knew that I had to get an amplifier to power the speakers . Before that I decided to do some tinkering with the speakers to reduce the harshness and I started out with the front coaxials .

The front coaxials were JBL models and the tweeter was crossed with a 3.3Uf cap . The cap was a bipolar electrolytic type and this had to go . So I got 1uf polyester cap and tried it , but the tweeter was too soft for my liking , so I finally zeroed on a 2uf for each tweeter . The tweeter is now much more smoother and the harshness is gone , but it still retains the brightness .

The rear pio speakers proved to be too powerful for the fronts and on top of that the music outside the car was much more than inside . So finally decided to remove the rear speakers and now I getting a custom enclosure for the rear speakers . I have zeroed on the 5.1/4 inch speakers for the rears .

Another mod was that i got a 10,000 uf cap for the powersupply and 4,700uf cap for the ignition . The HU does not flicker when the volume is pushed to its max .

Will post the pics if any of you are interested .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 14th August 2011 at 16:20.
Old 14th August 2011, 20:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto ICE

Do post pictures!

1. Did you do the installation yourself or did you get it done?
2. You have used a 10,000 uF cap in a setup without an amplifier or a woofer!?! Any specific reason? No one does that for such setups - no harm, but it doesn't do anything beneficial either
3. What is the 4,700 uF cap for the 'ignition'? Where in the ignition circuit?
Old 14th August 2011, 22:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Do post pictures!

2. You have used a 10,000 uF cap in a setup without an amplifier or a woofer!?! Any specific reason? No one does that for such setups - no harm, but it doesn't do anything beneficial either
Sir I guess he meant to say the power cut off during cranking the engine. But like you rightly said I still dont know the benefit of 10000uf cap across the power supply. Is it because of the power supply the HU is blinking at higher volume levels? I dont think so. Is it something related to clipping?
Old 15th August 2011, 11:06   #4
BANNED

The 10,000uf gives a beefier power supply to the HU , maintains a steady voltage on the line and when the volume is cranked up the voltage does not dip . The HU sounds much much better with this cap .
The 4700uf for the ignition is to keep the voltage when the car stalls in traffic . Normally when the car stalls the HU switches off during cranking and this is avoided .
Old 15th August 2011, 11:10   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Do post pictures!

I stopped DIY when i found that i was wasting too much of time with too less of return . I had taken the car to an installer , but practically I did the installation.

The benefit is there .. my Hu sounds cleaner and better . plus I do not lose anything when i am spending just Rs.100 .

When the key is switched on , the wire that powers the HU from its standby mode is the ign circuit .
Old 15th August 2011, 11:14   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Sir I guess he meant to say the power cut off during cranking the engine. But like you rightly said I still dont know the benefit of 10000uf cap across the power supply. Is it because of the power supply the HU is blinking at higher volume levels? I dont think so. Is it something related to clipping?

clipping is when the amplifier runs out of breath and distorts .Clipping happens typically when the amplifier section in the HU is driven to its max ( max volume) . The blinking of the HU is basically when the HU needs "extra" juice to drive the woofers and the caps in the Hu are not enough .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks