Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 18:52   #1
BHPian

Retrofit RNS 510 on 2011 Jetta MK6 Highline

hi everyone,

I want to upgrade the rcd 510 on my jetta.
I thought ill source the parts from ebay uk i.e rns 510, bluetooth module, reverse camera, ross tech vag com usb cable and software but problem is i'm not very skilled at installing these parts. There are many detailed guides all over the net but I haven't done this thing before.

Does anyone know who can do this for me?

P.S - is it possible to retrofit a start/stop module in this car?
Old 12th September 2011, 20:24   #2
BHPian

Re: retrofit rns 510 on 2011 jetta mk6 highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
hi everyone,

I want to upgrade the rcd 510 on my jetta.
I thought ill source the parts from ebay uk i.e rns 510, bluetooth module, reverse camera, ross tech vag com usb cable and software but problem is i'm not very skilled at installing these parts. There are many detailed guides all over the net but I haven't done this thing before.

Does anyone know who can do this for me?

P.S - is it possible to retrofit a start/stop module in this car?
Check with the dealership on the status of your warranty if you choose to self-install (in VW-World its equivalent to self-immolation). In all probability such and install 'will' void the warranty. Alternatively you could find a Mole in the dealership who will oblige you by installing and covering you up for warranty. The RNS 510 adds on navigation capability (not sure if they have Indian maps as yet) in addition to what RCD 510 offers, would make sense to just buy a aftermarket GPS device like GARMIN or the many others sold in India. They would end up offering much better value for money.
Old 12th September 2011, 20:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Nishanth,

The lowest price for the RNS510 is around 1800 USD. And that is just the navigation system which i am not exactly sure if it will have all updated maps for India.

Secondly bluetooth module, reverse camera(Which needs RNS510 and wont work in RCD510), ross tech and all will cost close to 1500 USD again.

Are you sure you want to put close to 2L for these features which can be got with a simpler system in India like even the ones that come in Vento for 1/4th the price.

Regarding warranty- I think you can still buy these parts from outside and get it fixed in the dealership. Problem is that most of these dealers will say they cannot fix parts got from outside and would create a huge fuss.
Old 12th September 2011, 23:24   #4
BHPian

oh really, i didn't know all these are there for the vento, that's surprising.

i'll check with vw on the warranty issue but imo they shouldn't have a problem with genuine vw accessories even if they've been sourced elsewhere.

But i definitely want to get the vag com cable and tinker around. does anyone know where i can locate the diagnostic port in the indian mk6?

Also, is there anyway we can get google maps to work with the rns 510?

thanks very much for the prompt replies....cheers!
Old 13th September 2011, 14:30   #5
BHPian

Just spoke to the vw guy. He says there's no bluetooth module part, no rns 510 for jetta (because apparently it won't fit). He also said that even if the part is there he wouldn't know how to install it. So i asked him if I can get it done outside, absolutely no he says( if i still want warranty)

i'm sick of looking at the dummy (phone, voice functions) buttons on the steering wheel. I must get atleast a bluetooth module or it'll drive me nuts!
Old 14th September 2011, 21:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Retrofit RNS 510 on 2011 Jetta MK6 Highline

Hi Nishanth,

I will check with some vw guy here in chennai regarding RNS 510. As somebody in another thread rightly pointed out, that RNS510 only adds a dvd player and the sat nav. RCD 510 has the rest already.

So to spend close to a L on RNS510 looks a bit steep.

Let me check if RNS510 can be retrofitted by VW themselves.
Old 20th November 2011, 12:07   #7
BHPian

hey vw2010! heard any news on the rns510 or bluetooth modules???

the vw hyd has no clue when the accessories will be released.
Old 24th November 2011, 22:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

So far no clue either here man. Unless we can get the modules with the code the SA have no clue either.

I have given up knowing i am not losing anything. And regarding bluetooth, i felt it was over priced for the purpose it serves and i am just using a two AUX in ended wire to convert my phone as bluetooth using car speakers.
Old 21st December 2011, 00:33   #9
BHPian

Hey...I was just going thru the thread and to my luck I too have a 2011 Jetta 2.0tdicr Comfortline. Well I have found a Bluetooth Module on ebay india. Its for Rs.12000, but now I was with vw Service Personal while getting my car fixed in noida. I went thru their VAG system and found the system is very basic, Configuration, PreSET Indian Default settings and Activation of Simple Upgrades for e.g Car's doors automatically lock after 30kph and open when you stop and pull out your Ignition Key.
Now I did see and option for Bluetooth and I asked the person to click on it, but due to his inexperience he said"Yeh nahi kaam karta!! iske liye aapko ek expert chahiye". I am now back in chandigarh today and am going to meet the expert on VAG here, but he has his own aftermarket worshop and am pretty sure that I'll manage something as i really want the Voice Command with phone upload in my car.
My choice not to upgrades rcd510 to rns510 as RNS comes as basic head and still you need to buy the bluetooth component as extra that would escalate cost unnecessarily (Head Rs.40000+Bluetooth Rs.25000) + fitting. RNS and RCD have exactly the same features besides Navigation. RCD510 even has movie Capability with a video convertor for around us$500 approx) which will be my project after my warranty expires.
Hold yourself till tomorrow and i will come back with some kinda answer..
Peace
Old 18th November 2014, 03:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
I am now back in chandigarh today and am going to meet the expert on VAG here, but he has his own aftermarket worshop and am pretty sure that I'll manage something as i really want the Voice Command with phone upload in my car.
Where in Chandigarh is this aftermarket workshop for VAG?
Kindly share details please.

Most Viewed