Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 21:34   #1
BHPian

AUX jack for the Safari's OEM head-unit (Alpine)

Hi Everyone,

My new Tata Safari VX 4*4 is to be delivered this coming week. As far as the ICE is concerned, the OEM is Alpine with model number DVA 9861E. It does not have USB or Aux In ports. They are providing an Alpine wire for connecting ipods. This wire connects to the back of the system and you can connect your ipod with it.

Unfortunately I do not use an ipod, but I have a Philips Go Gear which I use in my Fiesta. Its got an Aux out, so therefore I needed an Aux In port for the Safari.

After a lot of search I found Alpine as a cable with model number KCE 236b which again connects to the back of the DVA 9861E system (10 pin) and with an Auxilliary jack at the other end which I can plug into my GoGear.

Unfortunately I cannot find this cable (KCE 236b) anywhere. I tried searching online but not available. There is one available from the US, but its fake and its a 4 pin one instead of a 10pin. Someone on team bhp had bought it and it never worked.

Can anyone give me any idea what to do? Is there any official Alpine dealer in Delhi from where I can buy it? Or is there any accessory shop where I can find this cable?

I am adding the link of the website where you can see the cable that I am looking for. Alpine*-*Aux-in*-*KCE-236B

Any suggestions would be helpful. Dont want to buy an ipod now just for this, when I already have the GoGear.

Regards,

Sourav
Old 19th November 2011, 22:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Safari VX ICE accessory

Try asking the official Alpine dealer, he must be having it and if not he can order it out for you and give you one.

cost should be in range of 1.5-2k i think.
Old 19th November 2011, 22:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Try asking the official Alpine dealer, he must be having it and if not he can order it out for you and give you one.

cost should be in range of 1.5-2k i think.
Jatin - I just can find any "official" Alpine Dealer. The contact number of the official dealer (Supreme Hi Fidelity) on Alpine website does not work. They also show a Liaison office in Delhi (GK-1), but the contact number does not work. So I have no clue where I can contact the authorised dealer and what's his number. Other car accessory shops I have visited have no clue. They just sell the product (by buying from others) but are not authorised dealers. Am in New Delhi, so any reliable contact details out here would be helpful.
Old 19th November 2011, 22:35   #4
BHPian

fellow team-bhpian gaurav chopra can help you in this as he is a resident of delhi and knows various aftermarket shops for accessory and spares throughly try contacting him via pm.
Old 19th November 2011, 23:35   #5
BHPian

I also have the same issue. I was thinking of modifying the Alpine-iPod cable to work as Aux-In cable. But, I got busy at work and did not pursue it. Perhaps we can do a fresh start.

I am willing to cut my cable and do some experiments. If any of you have some ideas, please comment.

Do a google on iPod cable pin-out. The first site (Apple iPod, iPhone (2g, 3g), iPad Dock connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru) shows that ping 2-3-4 should be sufficient to create Audio IN. But, perhaps that will not be enough for Alpine to sense your player. Perhaps PIN 11-12-13-21 will have some role to play.

cheers
-a
Old 21st November 2011, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safari ICE - Alpine - Aux In issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
...Tata Safari VX 4*4 ...It does not have USB or Aux In ports.... Any suggestions would be helpful. Dont want to buy an ipod now just for this, when I already have the GoGear ....
Don't take so much trouble. How much music do you have in GoGear? Get a couple or more of 8.5GB dual layer writable DVDs (~100 rupees) and burn the mp3 songs on to them and enjoy in your Safari

-BJ
Old 9th December 2011, 16:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post
I also have the same issue. I was thinking of modifying the Alpine-iPod cable to work as Aux-In cable. But, I got busy at work and did not pursue it. Perhaps we can do a fresh start.

I am willing to cut my cable and do some experiments. If any of you have some ideas, please comment.

Do a google on iPod cable pin-out. The first site (Apple iPod, iPhone (2g, 3g), iPad Dock connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru) shows that ping 2-3-4 should be sufficient to create Audio IN. But, perhaps that will not be enough for Alpine to sense your player. Perhaps PIN 11-12-13-21 will have some role to play.

cheers
-a
Hi,

I have found the solution. I spoke to the Alpine dealer finally. They did not have the 236b cable. So they provided me with an alternative. They gave me the KCA 121B cable. One end of this cable fits into the back of the Alpine system. The other end is basically an RCA out (female plug). It has got two RCA outs.
Separately I bought an RCA cable (male plugs) on one end and 3.5mm jack at the other end. Very easily available. I got mine from Nehru Place. I got the MX brand. Make sure you buy a good quality one otherwise the output quality would be bad.

I fixed the MX cable with the KCA 121B and the system now works perfectly.

And you can do the entire fittings by yourself. No need to get hold of any audio expert. Just open the system. Plug the cables at the back end. Take out the cables from the lower end (left corner) of the dash near your foot. And voila.

By the way, dont damage the ipod cable. The Alpine dealer showed me a cable where he had made similar modifications. The sound quality had dropped drastically. Suggest you keep the ipod cable and use it whenever you use an ipod in the car. I attached my ipod cable simultaneously with the KCA 121B - just in case someone brings their ipod.

-
Sourav

Last edited by souravdebiswas : 9th December 2011 at 16:55.
souravdebiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 18:42   #8
BHPian

Re: AUX jack for the Safari's OEM head-unit (Alpine)

the Alpine head unit in my safari is not reading CDs any longer and I dont know where the Alpine dealer is in Hyderabad.

However, this thread seems to point out that there is an alpine cable to connect the ipod/iphone. Could you let me know where I can find that in Hyderabad?
Old 11th September 2012, 19:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

if your HU is the 9870ET, you might as well give up all hope
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...lpine-hus.html
the only way to get it done is via FM
the only cable that works is the KCE422i
http://www.vicky.in/shopping/car-aud...rface-kce-422i
which is so costly that you're better off getting one of those pure USB/Aux in head units
Old 4th March 2018, 22:02   #10
BHPian

My Safari has an Alpine DVA-9861E DVD Receiver music system too. The interface shows an option of Aux in mode select but there is no aux input port on the face of player. I spent more than a year struggling to find the solution of this annoying situation before I read it here that the KCA 121B cable would fit in the rear of the ICE.
I scanned the North Indian market (Delhi NCR, Meerut, Chandigarh, Ludhiana, Amritsar) for the cable but to no avail. While the cable was available on amazon ranging from Rs 900-2100/- I ordered it on aliexpress for Rs 180/- On it's arrival it took less than 10 minutes for the complete setting up. Pull out the ICE out, mate the female and male ends of the KCA cable, connect the 3.5 mm cable and it's done! Success!!

A special mention of the seller - I am a frequent buyer on aliexpress and I know that some orders take more than 60 days to deliver some orders take around 30 days and some orders never arrive at all, but this order reached me in less than 10 days and I was actually surprised by the lightning fast delivery. Recommended!

Here's the link to the product I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...ceBeautifyAB=0
Old 4th March 2018, 22:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

For those having the KDE-126BTT Alpine HU, you can try an iPod with a 30-pin connector. I have connected an iPod to the HU ( via Alpine cable connected at the rear of the HU), and the sound has transformed ! Cable used:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the only cable that works is the KCE422i
http://www.vicky.in/shopping/car-aud...rface-kce-422i
which is so costly that you're better off getting one of those pure USB/Aux in head units
I have tried playing music off a pen-drive, from CD's & aux-in. But nothing worked till now. Either my Alpine unit is bad, or the iPod is that good !

Last edited by condor : 4th March 2018 at 22:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks