Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2006, 14:50   #1
BHPian

Advice on shallow-type component subwoofer for my SWIFT

I am presently having Pioneer DEH-P5750MP player, Steering Remote CD-SR100, TS-D161R component speakers in the front door and TS-A1681S at the rear door of my swift. Now hope it is time to get upgraded to AMP's and Subwoofers.
Getting regular woofers would hijack all available space at the boot and make me call a cab whenever i need to carry a 24" suitcase.
Just browsing through, found Pioneer's TS-SW124D shallow-type component subwoofer with total height of just 4"(10cm). Has anyone used / tested this before. Experts could you also suggest me an AMP which would suit my setup if TS-SW124D is used. In SWIFT where can i house the subwoofer and AMP without compromising much space.
Old 11th March 2006, 16:02   #2
BHPian

Hey

Check out this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ub-santro.html

It would be helpfull for u. May be u get some idea's.
Old 11th March 2006, 17:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Arguably, the best shallow subs I have ever heard, with no compromise in sound quality or power handling due to design, are made by Illusion Audio. The 10" has a ridiculously low mounting depth of just 2.8" inches!! This doesnt mean you plonk one under your seat and expect it to do some magic. The only advantage is that you can make the enclosure damn shallow, say about 5 inches, and make up for the volume on the other two dimensions. Also, the subs are not the kind with the vented pole piece, so you dont have to worry about getting the magnet too close to the rear baffle. Since your speakers arent powered with an amp and you want to keep the box small, i'd advise against going for anything larger than a 10.

Blaupunkt also makes a flat sub, I've seen a 10, never got down to auditioning it. The build quite put me off. I coudn't even see a spider on that guy, maybe they dont have one at all, and just rely on the foam surround as the suspension. Horrfying thought, but I could and should be wrong.

For any of the above, about 150-200 rms of power into 4 ohms should be adequate. So either a small monoblock or a stereo amp in bridged mode should do the trick pretty cost-effectively.
Old 12th March 2006, 00:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

I've seen that Blau too. I would not recommend it. in short i dont like most speaker with foam surronds as they have limited life. there are exceptions though.

I have seen the Pio 12" sub too but in store shelf. I would like to know what the recomended box volume for the sub is. like B&T says a 10" should be adequate for your needs and a 10" can be found that uses 1/2 the box volume of the average 12". The Sony 502 at 3K wil give you 120W in mono.
Old 12th March 2006, 01:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Arguably, the best shallow subs I have ever heard, with no compromise in sound quality or power handling due to design, are made by Illusion Audio. The 10" has a ridiculously low mounting depth of just 2.8" inches!!
B&T... How good are the current Illusion products... I have heard from several installer friends in the US that the Indian made drivers were crappy and that was the reason they (the installers) stopped selling Illusion.

If you are talking about the ND10 subs, I have some issues... sure the ND10 is shallow mount and has good SQ and power handling... but it needs a 1.45cuft enclosure!!! Also, the company claimed FR is 82Hz to 500Hz... is that really a sub... or a 10" midbass?

I heard the ND12s in Mumbai in their car and they were playing trance and the subs were playing nice and fast. But I could also hear that they werent going low.

I see the IM10 does however go lower but requires a 2.33cuft box...
Old 12th March 2006, 02:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sethuram, y not have a STRONG MDF parcel tray and use a normal 12" free-air subwoofer. I've done this in my Ikon.
Old 12th March 2006, 10:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I've seen that Blau too. I would not recommend it. in short i dont like most speaker with foam surronds as they have limited life. there are exceptions though.

I have seen the Pio 12" sub too but in store shelf. I would like to know what the recomended box volume for the sub is. like B&T says a 10" should be adequate for your needs and a 10" can be found that uses 1/2 the box volume of the average 12". The Sony 502 at 3K wil give you 120W in mono.

and a PA275 would give you 200W at 3.8K.
Old 12th March 2006, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
and a PA275 would give you 200W at 3.8K.
Heck, do you still get those PA275s Class T amplifiers?? I want a few dozens of them, give it to me at 3k a piece and it's a deal.

They are conservatively rated at 200Wrms in bridged mode. Each amp is accompanied by a lab report (uh, too bad it's dated in 2001 or something, but they're amps, not potato chips so I think they should be fine), and most tests show the amp putting out an incredible 275/ 285 W rms at 12.5 volts!!! And I've heard those buggers swing around some mean subs by the *****, so I sure believe those ratings. This is one of the most wicked amps by Blau, compared to the crap on their regular lists. Btw, do you get the higher variant also...the PA2100 or 2125 i think. That must be a monster.
Old 12th March 2006, 17:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The only advantage is that you can make the enclosure damn shallow, say about 5 inches, and make up for the volume on the other two dimensions.
There is no point i see in having an enclosure with 5" Depth when the other two dimensions going almost 30" per side.

The point of having shallow mount subs is only when you can install in shallow locations and they perform the duties of subwoofer not large diameter midbasses

Last edited by Autophile : 12th March 2006 at 17:06.
Old 12th March 2006, 18:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heck, do you still get those PA275s Class T amplifiers?? I want a few dozens of them, give it to me at 3k a piece and it's a deal.

They are conservatively rated at 200Wrms in bridged mode. Each amp is accompanied by a lab report (uh, too bad it's dated in 2001 or something, but they're amps, not potato chips so I think they should be fine), and most tests show the amp putting out an incredible 275/ 285 W rms at 12.5 volts!!! And I've heard those buggers swing around some mean subs by the *****, so I sure believe those ratings. This is one of the most wicked amps by Blau, compared to the crap on their regular lists. Btw, do you get the higher variant also...the PA2100 or 2125 i think. That must be a monster.
Nooooooo now you too! I almost forgot about this amp and when I saw it last day in its original pack, I was like ***. I am so confused. Please check my post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ntro-xing.html
Old 13th March 2006, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareone
Hey
Check out this link. <<LINK>> It would be helpfull for u. May be u get some idea's.
Thanks rareone, That was an awesome idea, liked it too but unfortunately found that Swift's spare tyre is convex mounted...

Quote:
Arguably, the best shallow subs I have ever heard, with no compromise in sound quality or power handling due to design, are made by Illusion Audio.
Thanks man, Any idea where i can get this in Chennai? Ruled out Blau after your and Navin's advice.

Quote:

Thanks Navin, I even had a thought of Blau but ruled out after your and Bass&Trouble's advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Sethuram, y not have a STRONG MDF parcel tray and use a normal 12" free-air subwoofer. I've done this in my Ikon.
Good idea, Even now when i put in a 24" suitcase, my parceltray need to be lifted high. Will need to check whether there will be adequate space left after fitting a sub there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The point of having shallow mount subs is only when you can install in shallow locations and they perform the duties of subwoofer not large diameter midbasses
By the way what are large diameter midbasses??? Are they any different from subwoofers?

Quote:
Nooooooo now you too! I almost forgot about this amp and when I saw it last day in its original pack, I was like ***. I am so confused. Please check my post at <<LINK>>
The post has load's of info... thanks.

jkdas, Autophile, Bass&Trouble I have only flying astericks in my brain (depth, perside, bridged mode, rms. watt, volt,Hz)... full technical stuff's.

Guy's
Saturday checked out in a leading shop and in turn got recommended with "20cm Sealed Active Subwoofer TS-WX22A" for my requirements. He also suggested that it can get fitted below the seat. Also got info that it has a 150W amp built in and includes a wired remote...I have no idea how this will work out.
Old 13th March 2006, 10:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nooooooo now you too! I almost forgot about this amp and when I saw it last day in its original pack, I was like ***. I am so confused. Please check my post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ntro-xing.html
somewhere on this forum i saw an install that used 5 PA275. Listen JK if you can find these amps for 3-4K grab all you can. If you are making your way to the Goa meet someone from Mumbai will carry them back.

What I like about these amps is that they play cold. you can tuck them in places you cant tuck a Class AB amp.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2006, 10:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
Saturday checked out in a leading shop and in turn got recommended with "20cm Sealed Active Subwoofer TS-WX22A" for my requirements. He also suggested that it can get fitted below the seat. Also got info that it has a 150W amp built in and includes a wired remote...I have no idea how this will work out.
you are talking about these.
http://www.pioneer-eur.com/uk/produc...nomy_id=25-130

as Gunbir would describe it, these are "large diameter midbasses". they dont go too low but have a nice midbass hump.
Old 13th March 2006, 14:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks man, Any idea where i can get this in Chennai? Ruled out Blau after your and Navin's advice.

I think you should be able to audition one with Serious Sound in Chennai. The man's Dan Asrani, and he told me they sound great. His contact no. is 24990992
Old 13th March 2006, 14:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
somewhere on this forum i saw an install that used 5 PA275. Listen JK if you can find these amps for 3-4K grab all you can. If you are making your way to the Goa meet someone from Mumbai will carry them back.

What I like about these amps is that they play cold. you can tuck them in places you cant tuck a Class AB amp.
alright my seller has 6 of them, I want just one. His last price is 4.75k but I guess he will bring the price down when I say I want all!

PM me if you guys are interested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks