Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Cradle/Holder for iPod, Mobile

I have just purchased a new accessory for my car, a holder/cradle for devices like Mobile phone or iPod.

It has a stand with a suction base, which can be fitted onto the dashboard, or pressed onto the windshield, as required. Besides this, it also has a fitting with hooks so that the cradle can be attached onto the AC vents, purely for ease of access.

I am planning to use my iPod classic with this, and am concerned whether placing the iPod in the holder while it is attached to the AC vent would cause any issues. In the technical specifications mentioned on the Apple site, it says

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F
(0° to 35° C)
Non-operating temperature: -4° to 113° F
(-20° to 45° C)

which, I think, is pretty safe. I know that the cabin temperatures certainly will never approach 0°C, but being constantly in line of the cool air flow, the device would certainly get quite cold.

Though this might be good in a way, would this cause any issues like battery problems? Or maybe disk errors (its a 160 GB, so it has an HDD inside rather than the usual Flash Memory storage) like disk jamming up or read failures?

Any help in this regard would be great, Thanks!!
Old 21st December 2011, 11:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cradle/Holder for iPod,Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have just purchased a new accessory for my car, a holder/cradle for devices like Mobile phone or iPod.

It has a stand with a suction base, which can be fitted onto the dashboard, or pressed onto the windshield, as required. Besides this, it also has a fitting with hooks so that the cradle can be attached onto the AC vents, purely for ease of access.

I am planning to use my iPod classic with this, and am concerned whether placing the iPod in the holder while it is attached to the AC vent would cause any issues. In the technical specifications mentioned on the Apple site, it says

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F
(0° to 35° C)
Non-operating temperature: -4° to 113° F
(-20° to 45° C)

which, I think, is pretty safe. I know that the cabin temperatures certainly will never approach 0°C, but being constantly in line of the cool air flow, the device would certainly get quite cold.

Though this might be good in a way, would this cause any issues like battery problems? Or maybe disk errors (its a 160 GB, so it has an HDD inside rather than the usual Flash Memory storage) like disk jamming up or read failures?

Any help in this regard would be great, Thanks!!
Your concern regarding temperature is unfounded.

The same iPod that you use is used by people all over the world, including countries where temperatures (especially at this time of the year) are usually sub-zero. Do not worry about the temperature, you car ac will never really drop down to below 15 degrees C.

The only concern I would have is condensation during the humid summer months, when you hop out of the air conditioned car. If you take a nice and cold iPod out of the car (considering you plan to stick it IN the vent), into the Indian real world of summer, it will develop a film of moisture, which (in the long run) will not be good for the iPod.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 21st December 2011 at 11:18.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 11:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Your concern regarding temperature is unfounded.

The same iPod that you use is used by people all over the world, including countries where temperatures (especially at this time of the year) are usually sub-zero. Do not worry about the temperature, you car ac will never really drop down to below 15 degrees C.

The only concern I would have is condensation during the humid summer months, when you hop out of the air conditioned car. If you take a nice and cold iPod out of the car (considering you plan to stick it IN the vent), into the Indian real world of summer, it will develop a film of moisture, which (in the long run) will not be good for the iPod.
Thanks. That has cleared all the doubts. Also, thank you for pointing out the moisture issue, it is something that didn't strike me and needs to be taken care of. Well what if I just slip it into my pocket or my bag or something while getting out of the car, and keep it there for a few minutes till it attains a more regular temperature?
Old 21st December 2011, 11:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Thanks. That has cleared all the doubts. Also, thank you for pointing out the moisture issue, it is something that didn't strike me and needs to be taken care of. Well what if I just slip it into my pocket or my bag or something while getting out of the car, and keep it there for a few minutes till it attains a more regular temperature?
Put it in your pocket.

It will remain close to the warmest parts of your body and remain safe and comfortable.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks