Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 13:57   #1
BHPian

Sony DSX S300 BTX Ordering Experience & Review

So two years ago, I changed the head unit in my Optra to a Sont BT-2500. I didn't want a Sony, because I had used XPlod in the past, and I found it to be trash. But there were very few other options of head units with built-in bluetooth for a reasonable price. So I installed that unit. God, what a mistake.

Last month, while listening to Dire Straits, I realized that the damn 2500 is trash. So I decided to upgrade my head unit. I went around to a lot of accessory shops in Bombay and Delhi - but wasnt able to get technical answers on the questions that I had.

Then, I decided to give up my purchasing experience in India, and pretend that I was back in the US.

I looked up the reviews sound systems at Crutchfield, and decided to order a Sony DSX S300 from the US (I finally ordered from Amazon) -- to be shipped to a US address and brought home by a family member.

The installation was done at the local Carnation along with my regular service -- and wow, I am so happy with what I did. The whole thing cost me about $190 including installation, which is about half of what I would have paid for the system here in India -- and honestly, I would have never bought it here -- because without the detailed technical analysis by Crutchfield, and on the basis of dust-laden boxes of questionable authenticity available here, I would have steered away from Sony again.

The sound quality from this is *hugely* better than my old 2-3 sound systems, even with the same speakers. The bluetooth connection is awesome -- I can actually have conversations with this bluetooth HU (even without the external mic), unlike my previous HUs. And the sound quality even using BT is fabulous - again, unlike my previous HUs.

Overall, immensely satisfied with the purchase, and feeling quite smart about the value of it too. This is what Im going to do next time as well now. Order from the US, get it delivered, and then brought here. Half price, guaranteed authenticity and painless ordering procedure -- but the wait is longer.

The only problem now, is that it seems like I need new speakers to *fully* experience my new in-car symphony. And I dont have the money!

If you're in the market for a new HU (or speakers for that matter), consider reading detailed reviews at Crutchfield. The link for the review of this sound system is: Sony DSX-S300BTX Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

Now, the next question -- if I order from amazon directly to be shipped here to India -- is that as reliable? I need to find someone who has done this to answer that question!
mudittandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 16:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sony DSX S300 BTX Ordering Experience & Review

Yes you can order from amazon to be directly delivered in India now, earlier i have used Borderlinx for the routing shipment. They gave me US address and i would order amazon to ship to borderlinx address, they would then in turn ship it to India. Charge me for shipment and customs.

But now you no longer need to do that, amazon does it directly. Here is the thread, on the last page you would see details about amazon delivering directly to India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-anything.html (Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?)
Old 12th January 2012, 18:57   #3
BHPian

Re: Sony DSX S300 BTX Ordering Experience & Review

That then turns ordering of ICE equipment on Amazon into a total win! Time to try to order speakers from there now at half the price!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks