Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Difference between Infinity Reference and Infinity Kappa series

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Personally if you are not using an amplifier I would consider the most sensitive speakers of the ones you have short listed. It is difficult if not downright impossible for me to know what exactly is your preference in sound. infinity voices their premium line and base line very close and most differences are more a matter of better components used.
Thanks for the reply Navin. My preference of sound is good SQ, I am not a bass fan. So I am looking for Kenwood KDC X7016. And Now I am thinking of Focal polyglass 165 VB components. As of now will not go for rear sets, will decide on them later.
Old 7th July 2012, 22:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so I finally took the plunge.
Got Inifnity Primus series after - 2,3 hours of listening.

The JBL comps sounded great at lower volumes - with boosted 1-3 kHz upper midrange.
But at higher volume the "cupped mouth" effect (because of boost in higher midrange) really got tiring.

Inifinity referece sounded little harsh on the high end (>7 kHz) but I figured I would tame it down using the EQ of the player.

The Infinty kappa was really outrageous with extrememly ear piearcing high end. Sorry but I cannot stand it. Someone else may prefer it high, though - so my advice is:
Play around with the EQ in your player ( like foobar) and try to boost various frequencies - which ever you prefer will give you a goood idea of what you will hear.

I utlimately got Infinity Primus - which is "supposed" to sound like reference series - and yes it did.
EQ on my HU is with -6dB on high end 10kHz and above)

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th July 2012 at 22:31.
Old 21st July 2012, 14:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Ok, so I finally took the plunge.
Got Inifnity Primus series after - 2,3 hours of listening.

The JBL comps sounded great at lower volumes - with boosted 1-3 kHz upper midrange. But at higher volume the "cupped mouth" effect (because of boost in higher midrange) really got tiring.

Inifinity referece sounded little harsh on the high end (>7 kHz) but I figured I would tame it down using the EQ of the player.

I utlimately got Infinity Primus - which is "supposed" to sound like reference series - and yes it did.
Hey congrats. Did you also get a chance to audition any head units?

I checked out the Infinity Primus and thought I'd stick to my Infinity References for now. Even the dealer's person told me that the Primus sound a lot like the Ref. May add a SW later, but I would have to upgrade my amp to a 5 Ch, possibly next month. He also suggested an audition of Focals..though I am not all that keen.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey congrats. Did you also get a chance to audition any head units?

I checked out the Infinity Primus and thought I'd stick to my Infinity References for now. Even the dealer's person told me that the Primus sound a lot like the Ref. May add a SW later, but I would have to upgrade my amp to a 5 Ch, possibly next month. He also suggested an audition of Focals..though I am not all that keen.
Couldn't, besides I didn't have the plan of buying a new HU.

Primus and Ref are supposed to sound the same. Actually now I find the Infs really lot better. I am extremely sensitive to the "harsh" frequencies of 2.5-4kHz range. Thankfully these are little dim on the Infs - which makes extended listening a sweet pleasure.

The high end is bright, but not really "harsh".
Old 6th October 2012, 12:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Reference would normally be a bit more laid back compared to GTO. Traditionally Harman used the Infinity line of loudspeakers to cover a different market (google Infinity IRS Beta V) while JBL covered a more rock oriented market (google JBL 250Ti). Both JBL and Infinity are not organic divisions of Harman. They were purchased in 1969 (Harman Intl was called Harman-Kardon then) and 1983 (as part of a greater plan by Harman to re-establish itself as a giant in the audio industry).

During the period from 1968-1977 JBL made it's name with products like the Century (L100) which were derived from it's Pro Audio line of loudspeakers. Infinity's history and audience was quite different (google Infinity Kappa) and today Harman has effectively shelved/killed this brand as far as Home Audio is concerned.

Hello Navin,

I need your advice on certain issues i am facing with my ICE in Siwft Dzire. After a long research and reading threads from you and Sam i decided to go with following configurations in Jan 2012.

HU- Stock ( please note i have old swift dzire ZDI) and 100% time i play IPOD using Aux.
Speakers front: Infinity reference 6530 CS.
Amp: JBL 646,4 channel
Cables: Scorche

After installing this sound was great, but in month of May left side speakers started giving some problem, hence decided to claim under warranty. Company decided to give me one of the used and repaired speaker which i refused to accept. At that time the shop owner advised me the new series of Infinity (Primus) has been launched and he also gave an offer to swap speakers with minimum of charges. After long stint i decided to accept offer. But i feel new Primus series is not at all better than Reference. I feel the sound and tonal quality was more clear in ref rather than in Primus. In fact i discussed the same with the shop owner and he confirmed that even company is aware of this, and sale of the said speakers has reduced. I dont understand what steps i should take? If Experts like you can guide me it will be a great help.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
HU- Stock ( please note i have old swift dzire ZDI) and 100% time i play IPOD using Aux.
Speakers front: Infinity reference 6530 CS.
Amp: JBL 646,4 channel
Cables: Scorche

I feel the sound and tonal quality was more clear in ref rather than in Primus. In fact i discussed the same with the shop owner and he confirmed that even company is aware of this, and sale of the said speakers has reduced.
Lets get this straight.

You got a pair fo Ref 6530CS installed in your car. After some time (within the warranty) one speaker (left) stopped working. If this is so and there was no damage the company should either replace the 6530 speaker or repair the same (with a 6530).

I have not heard the Primus so cannot comment on this speaker.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Lets get this straight.

You got a pair fo Ref 6530CS installed in your car. After some time (within the warranty) one speaker (left) stopped working. If this is so and there was no damage the company should either replace the 6530 speaker or repair the same (with a 6530).

I have not heard the Primus so cannot comment on this speaker.
Thanks for reply. There was no damage just that sound was not clear at all. And company was offering me another speaker which was repaired. I requested them to repair my own speaker and they refused stating since company is discontinuing the same series hence it is difficult to set it right. Hence I went for there new series 'Primus', which they claim is a high end series. Now i am not happy with the sound quality. Hence thinking writing or take some action against the same.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
EQ on my HU is with -6dB on high end 10kHz and above)
Hello alpha1,

I have also got primus 'PR6500 CS' replacing reference 6530cs. I think i am not getting tonal quality and bass as good as reference, though company claim that they are high end speakers. Can u tell me what is config you have in your car.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless
... company was offering me another speaker which was repaired. I requested them to repair my own speaker and they refused stating since company is discontinuing the same series hence it is difficult to set it right. ...
The company is responsible for replacing the defective / faulty part, which doesn't have to be a new one. They need not repair your faulty piece. Looks like in your situation you would have been better off getting it replaced.

"company is discontinuing the same series hence it is difficult to set it right" - this is really funny logic alright LOL. He doesn't want to say "I don't have anyone who can repair it"!!!
Old 8th October 2012, 15:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The company is responsible for replacing the defective / faulty part, which doesn't have to be a new one. They need not repair your faulty piece. Looks like in your situation you would have been better off getting it replaced.

"company is discontinuing the same series hence it is difficult to set it right" - this is really funny logic alright LOL. He doesn't want to say "I don't have anyone who can repair it"!!!
I Agree. But the replacement speaker looks very old and it was rusted near the magnet. Hence i denied that, and asked them if they could repair mine. Which they denied. Now tell me for 3 months old speaker who will accept, may be 2-3 year old speaker which was carrying all sort of dust and rust.

They gave me all sorts of logic to sell new series it seems.

Anyways can u suggest me the forward path now?
Old 8th October 2012, 16:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyways can u suggest me the forward path now?
1. company has offered you repaired speaker (which looks older than yours)
2. company has offered you new Primus speaker (which might not sound as good as yours).

As far as I can tell the company has fulfilled it's legal obligations. They are not legally oliged to repair exactly the speaker that can from your car. As long as they give you a speaker that is the same model and age as your current speaker they are covered.

I know you believe that the repaired speaker being offered by them is older (it might even be true) the question is how does anyone prove it. The car is a harsh enviroment and rust can happen in 3-6 months too.

Your best bet is to settle with the one of the options the company has offered you. At best you can ask them for a replacement that is in better condition than the one you have been offered.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 11:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello alpha1,

I have also got primus 'PR6500 CS' replacing reference 6530cs. I think i am not getting tonal quality and bass as good as reference, though company claim that they are high end speakers. Can u tell me what is config you have in your car.
I don't have any great config.
Frankly speaking, I didn't like any of the speakers in the sub 10 k range when I was auditioning. And yes there is a slight difference between Reference and Primus (which was not .

Reference speakers were VERY bright, Primus are slightly tamed.
Perhaps that's why you feel that clarity is lacking.
Everyone's ears are different ... I keep my high frequency EQ at the bottom (the speakers are that bright to my ears).

What was your EQ preference with the Reference?
What is your EQ preference with the Primus?

Bass and lower mid-range was lacking in all speakers.

Today, if you ask me - I would perhaps recommend JBL GTO 609 - sounds beefier.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have any great config.
Frankly speaking, I didn't like any of the speakers in the sub 10 k range when I was auditioning. And yes there is a slight difference between Reference and Primus (which was not .

Reference speakers were VERY bright, Primus are slightly tamed.
Perhaps that's why you feel that clarity is lacking.
Everyone's ears are different ... I keep my high frequency EQ at the bottom (the speakers are that bright to my ears).

What was your EQ preference with the Reference?
What is your EQ preference with the Primus?

Bass and lower mid-range was lacking in all speakers.

Today, if you ask me - I would perhaps recommend JBL GTO 609 - sounds beefier.

Thanks. When I changed speakers the guy changed the gain of amplifier cause the primus is 4ohm and reference was 3ohm. I kept my high frquency EQ at the middle with Reference and just below that on Primus. We tried all sorts of variations with the gain. But speakers are not that compatible or producing good quality sound. There is a significant difference between Reference and Primus. Just to give you example. I played one song in Reference there was no reverberation in sound and sound quality was exeptional well. But in Primus when the same song is played i can hear lot of humming and reverberation. Though we tried all the settings in Amp but in vain.
I just had word with the head distributor Mumbai and he requested me to meet one of his team member, who is sound expert. If there is any issues he promised me that he will change the Components or will give me a better deal for higher end infinity compos. What will you advice I should go with now? If he found any problem with Primus Components.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. When I changed speakers the guy changed the gain of amplifier cause the primus is 4ohm and reference was 3ohm. I kept my high frquency EQ at the middle with Reference and just below that on Primus. We tried all sorts of variations with the gain. But speakers are not that compatible or producing good quality sound. There is a significant difference between Reference and Primus. Just to give you example. I played one song in Reference there was no reverberation in sound and sound quality was exeptional well. But in Primus when the same song is played i can hear lot of humming and reverberation. Though we tried all the settings in Amp but in vain.
I just had word with the head distributor Mumbai and he requested me to meet one of his team member, who is sound expert. If there is any issues he promised me that he will change the Components or will give me a better deal for higher end infinity compos. What will you advice I should go with now? If he found any problem with Primus Components.
I agree about Primus, as I said it was lacking in the bass and lower midrange department. But frankly, I found reference also the same

Since you said that you keep the high frequency EQ at middle - I really cannot help you sonically - you have a preference for bright sound from speakers, whereas I have a preference for warm sound.
:(
So the speakers that sound fine to me will sound muffled to you. The speakers that sound fine to you will sound bright to me.

As I said, if I could - get JBL GTO
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:59   #30

I am looking for the Infinity Kappa series in Mumbai and having a lot of trouble finding any dealer who stocks it. I can buy it from snapdeal, but would prefer to buy from a physical store as it will be quicker and I want to upgrade the stock speakers in Duster AWD which will be delivered to me later this week. Any help in pointing me to the right dealer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks