Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2006, 01:53   #1
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Speaker box for my WagonR

I have a Pioneer 5750 Mp3 player in my car.

When I bought the HU.... some 8 months back I also bought a set of Pioneer TS-A6991S Speakers.

Now I never got around fitting these and are lying in my room ever since.

The thing is, I wanted a box which is totally removable.... and can be put there without any hassle....
Also it should not run around at every turn the tall boy takes.

Since the accessory guy wasn't able to help, I decided to get it made by a carpenter.

So after some discussion with a friend I have come up with a design..... although looks funny, might be the only solution.

So just have a look of this scaled design..... and let me know
1) if it'll work?
2) is it too big? (I would love to reduce size)
3) is there a need for an opening at the side for air to escape? (something like a tube)

Thanks in advance....
SLK

The drawing….(the wood used : MDF board 0.5" thick)
Old 24th March 2006, 10:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

I estimate that that box provides for about 15-20 liters per 6x9. that should be more than enough. but why the angle. I assmue you intedn to put this box in the boot of you car. it at all i would angle the box so that the speakers fire into the cabin not at the sides as indicated.
Old 24th March 2006, 10:54   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yes.. the box is intended to be kept in the boot...
the angle.. is maintained to separate the sound of left and right channels. Does it make any sense?
If I remove the angle it would be much easier to construct and i believe more sturdy. So shoud I do away with it?

So 15-20 Liters is what is required.... cool, I can just make it a little more compact.

And what about any opening at the rear? Put a tube or something? Or an Air tight box would be better?

Last edited by SLK : 24th March 2006 at 10:57.
Old 24th March 2006, 11:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

You can seperate the sound by making the box wider.
Old 24th March 2006, 11:21   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I wish I could make the box wider!... the boot is the top priority, can't afford to lose more space.
Also had originally thought of 2 separate boxes but they would not stay in one place so decided to make this, with a broader base.
Old 24th March 2006, 11:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Make to diff boxes it will much better stereo sepration will me much more. One more thing are u letting these boxes lie on the floor of the boot or u will elevate it to the seat level. I f u leave then bellow the seat level the stereo sepration will be nil on the front seat. also 10- 15 liters is more than enough for the 6x9 so the box size would be nearly 12 x 10 x 10 the internal volume would be nearly 14.5 lts this should be good size for ur 6x9
Old 24th March 2006, 11:43   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
If u leave then bellow the seat level the stereo sepration will be nil on the front seat.
Ok thats an interesting point.... Since its a WagonR trying to raise to seat level is too much of work. I think I can live without stereo seperation from the rear speakers. The front 4" are already in place.

What do you suggest then? totally flat box.. no angle? as any angle won't help below the seat level!
Old 24th March 2006, 11:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

ya a flat box will be good rather make two boxes and try keeping them in diff positions so that the best sound to ur taste comes
Old 24th March 2006, 12:09   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I understand that the sound would be better with 2 boxes, but being top heavy and narrow they'll fall to the sides (I am not a very good driver ).
And if I make them a little broader then I lose boot, which is out of question (Thats why the speakers have been lying under my table for the lst 8 months).

Also please comment on the air-tightness of the box.
Old 24th March 2006, 13:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Make to diff boxes it will much better stereo sepration will me much more. One more thing are u letting these boxes lie on the floor of the boot or u will elevate it to the seat level. I f u leave then bellow the seat level the stereo sepration will be nil on the front seat. also 10- 15 liters is more than enough for the 6x9 so the box size would be nearly 12 x 10 x 10 the internal volume would be nearly 14.5 lts this should be good size for ur 6x9
LBM, right on target.

If the speakers are going to be so close to each other, and so below the level of the backrest of the rear seat, I don't see any stereo seperation, and thats not such a nice feeling. It's irrelevant whether they're angled or not, the sound is never going to reach you without a few reflections.. Why don't you use a parcel tray instead? It'll have some compromises of it's own but I mean, stereo seperation would be high on my priorities list!
Old 24th March 2006, 14:14   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.. Why can't I use the parcel tray?
WagonR does not have any OEM tray.
The aftermarket ones... fit fine but 2 issues
1) I have heard the sound on another wagonR... same setup.... but hardly any bass.
2) The rear seat backrests need to be upright making the rear seats VERY uncomfortable.... So much for the audio? Not for me.
Old 24th March 2006, 14:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

You certainly know better than me about what you want to achieve. I think this thread is limited to the following debates:

1. Is the box volume appropriate: Yes it is.

2. Are the boxes angled right: It doesn't matter.
Old 24th March 2006, 14:53   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

No, its not that I know better than you... b'coz I am totally uninterested types in car audio.
Believe this if you can.... I haven't turned on my car stereo in the year 2006... I mean not even put front panel to the HU.

So for me the car system is only when I am getting bored on a long drive (which is very rare again).
I just need good/ decent bass.... rest, even my front 4" speakers do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
I think this thread is limited to the following debates:

1. Is the box volume appropriate: Yes it is.

2. Are the boxes angled right: It doesn't matter.
Yes it is!... that's what was intended right from my first post.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 24th March 2006, 16:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

put one woofer in a box with connector so that u can put away the ub when needed and a amp underneth the front seats or mount it on the rear seat which u find better leave the 6x9 because they cannot make bass which i think u dont require
Old 24th March 2006, 17:13   #15
SLK
Senior - BHPian

OK, lets see what I can do about that!... a woofer... & an AMP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks