Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 11:00   #1
BHPian

Amp going to Protect mode. Help?

My mono block amp lightning audio 1600md (Lightning AudioŽ : Product Details) as soon as it is powered up is going to protect mode.
The power light(normal mode) just blinks and protect light comes on.
I have removed the speaker out, rca and remote wire. and checked the fuses. but no luck.
The amp is connected to same chassis point where 4 channel amp is connected which is working fine.
Does this mean that the amp is gone ?
Old 21st April 2012, 20:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amp going to Protect mode. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
My mono block amp lightning audio 1600md (Lightning AudioŽ : Product Details) as soon as it is powered up is going to protect mode.
I have removed the speaker out, rca and remote wire. and checked the fuses. but no luck.
The amp is connected to same chassis point where 4 channel amp is connected which is working fine.
Just check what DC voltage your amp is getting from the battery/alternator you should have 11VDC or more with engine off, 12VDC ore more with the alternator (engine) on. Also with the power off check the resistance at the speaker terminals if you have a very low impedance (less than 1 ohms) maybe something has shorted inside the amp.
Old 21st April 2012, 21:54   #3
BHPian

navin, i checked the power at amp terminal,it is 12.5v with engine off , with engine running it hovers around 14.
i put the multimeter in ohms and put the leads on the speaker terminals but that doesnt show any reading. the thing was playing good and suddenly it went to protect.
im really sad as the amp is less than 6 month old.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Use a higher rated fuse and check!
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Your amp will try to draw about 100 ampere under full load. It needs to 'see' low impedance supply lines or it will assume a 'fault' condition and lapse into protect mode. Your ground line may not be that good. It might be ok for a low powered amplifier but not enough for a high power amplifier. In most cases, car high power amps crib about poor ground connections. That is the reason why it was playing normally for some time and all of a sudden lapse into protect mode.

Check the grounding terminal. Clean - scrape till you see shining metal on the surfaces and tighten.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hiya bullboy.

The full load state of this amplifier is of no consequence as you have disconnected the RCA and speaker cabling.
It should power on no matter how poor your wire is.

Now if you remove the 'remote" wire, the amplifier cannot switch on.

If the remote is on (+12V) and you have power and earth and since it does power on and then go into protect despite having no speakers - I'm sorry to inform you that your amplifier has indeed failed and needs repair/replacement.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 15:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
If the remote is on (+12V) and you have power and earth and since it does power on and then go into protect despite having no speakers - I'm sorry to inform you that your amplifier has indeed failed and needs repair/replacement.
Sam , By remote i meant remote gain controller.
I tried contacting the seller for warratnty but isn't responding. The delear had listing this in tbhp classifieds from where i bought this.
I now just dont know what to do.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sam , By remote i meant remote gain controller.
I tried contacting the seller for warratnty but isn't responding. The delear had listing this in tbhp classifieds from where i bought this.
I now just dont know what to do.
Go back to the store where you purchased this amplifier and ask them to fix it.

You did buy it with bill and warranty, this is your right.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Go back to the store where you purchased this amplifier and ask them to fix it.
This was purchased via online (list in advts) and the seller is from mumbai. I'm in trivandrum. I mailed the dealer couple of times and tired over phone,but no response.

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks