Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 02:54   #1
BHPian

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill

Ever since I added a Amplifier to my car, I was driving almost thirsty,
yups have a habit of keeping water bottle between handbrake and seat belt
receptor, this is the Ideal space for me as Santro doesn't has any bottle holder and I've
Spilled hell lot of water under seat both accidentally or unknowingly that
pearlpet kind bottle drips on some positions in past years.

And having a Amp under the seat was giving a feeling of either Amp. or myself is seated on a BOMB, ready to blow your amp. forever.

So after thinking about many possible ways to protect the AMPLIFIER from getting a bath from water on floor matt, I finally Decided to go with a Do-It-Yourself project "Happy Legs" for the under-seat Amp.

Now comes the part where D.I.Y. project should look little unique and add some bling to the setup, not for showoff but to please my dracula L.E.D. thirst.
The door stoppers are Stiff PVC yet Hollow from Inside and I started to make holes for L.E.D. and the PVC Door stoppers were very easy to pierce with a aligner screwdriver.

Now final decision, Color of the L.E.D. Blue, White, Red, green.
Green and white were to bright for under the seat, so keeping in mind the
under-dash L.E.D. I have of-course they are result of a old D.I.Y. work, I decided to go with Blue.

from the 400+ L.E.D. in stock, no i don't sell them, I don't gift them but for
some strange affection I have not less than this much L.E.D. with me I selected 16 Blue L.E.D. and 4x 100 ohm resistors.

Connected 4 L.E.D. in series and used a 100 ohm resistor, a 12-14v volt supply with 4 of them in series would work with 33-47ohm too but let there be some lesser current so the L.E.D. last for few extra years.

Soldered the terminals, Bent them towards the hollow end of stopper, filled them with Hot Glue using the gun, used some plastic packing leftovers to cover the hollow end before it was tightened to the Amp, so even in extreme heat, the hot glue won't come out easily.

My car has many toggle switches installed in Gear shift console, infact the Coin groves has these switches so I used one and have option to turn on.off these bling bling happy legs.

Advantages of Having "Happy Legs" on your under-seat AMP.
1). Prevents water to enter amp from below the amp or even from damp floor-mat.

2). Helps better circulation of Air as amp is 2 inch above the floor mat, giving it more space to dissipate heat and bring cooler Air to keep its Electronic components cooler which may help extending its life.

3). Adds a Bling factor due to Translucent Blue light coming from the PVC Stoppers (Happy Legs)

Total cost of "Happy Leg" project under Rs.80
1). 6 nos 2 inch Door stoppers + screws + washer + nuts were Rs.56/-
2). 16 Blue L.E.D. would be max Rs.24/-
3). 4 x 100 ohm resistors Rs.2/-

Enjoy the pics and do feel free to ask if you need more details.
D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-qsom7.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-3cho6.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-7g0h0.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-5tldc.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-migi7.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-obwui.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-fryah.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-v8qwv.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-fxsq6.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-imxfl.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-nom8o.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-5kyp2.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-wmxiq.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-fwnx2.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-2qpj8.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-ifetp.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-l1myv.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-ornfv.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-t83o9.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-qm03x.jpg
ghpk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 03:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill

Nice job ghpk especially with the LEDs. But even this would not have stopped my amp from conking off when I had to wait at a signal for 20 minutes during monsoon as water started building up inside my car to my shin levels.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:00   #3
BHPian

Re: D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill

Interesting DIY ghpk. I guess the idea of fixing door stoppers is great to prevent any damage to the amp. It will be very useful for SUV (Scorpio/XUV etc) owners, as most of them place their amps below the front seat as there is no proper space at the rear.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:31   #4
BHPian

Great work.
Looks amazing.
Post some pictures of it installed in the car.
I have a floor amp too in my santro and it will be great if I could do an installation of this kind.
The problem is my amp is fitted with just one screw.
I did not want multiple holes drilled to the floor of my car so its fitted just with one screw and its been serving the purpose for 8 yrs now.
How well it lights up in the night?
Old 1st May 2012, 15:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster
Great work.
Looks amazing.
Post some pictures of it installed in the car.
I have a floor amp too in my santro and it will be great if I could do an installation of this kind.
The problem is my amp is fitted with just one screw.
I did not want multiple holes drilled to the floor of my car so its fitted just with one screw and its been serving the purpose for 8 yrs now.
How well it lights up in the night?
Thanks guys, your comments makes my D.I.Y. projects worth taking the pains.

The last couple of pics show amp under the seat itself.
I have not done any holes to car body.
The amp was earlier kept on floor mat and the cables helped it stay in place.
I've used zip ties to make cable stay in place, the amp currently settles well under the seat lever metal wires.

Will post a few more pics tonight.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dear ghpk,

Good one there! I like the use of the raw materials to give the effects and also to protect the amp!

getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 21:25   #7
BHPian

Clicked few more pics.
To show the Blue L.E.D. effect Flash was not used, Car Dome Light was Off and the Illumination is from only Happy Legs and L.E.D. under Dashboard.

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-dscf1861.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-dscf1862.jpg

D.I.Y. "Happy Legs" for Underseat Amplifier, Protect Your Amp from Water spill-dscf1865.jpg
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:18   #8
BHPian

nice work great idea keeping up with the spirit of team bhp.
have you drill 4 holes in the flooring for this set up?you could have used a plate to mount the amp with the door stoppers and screwed the plate to the existing holes.
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
nice work great idea keeping up with the spirit of team bhp.
have you drill 4 holes in the flooring for this set up?you could have used a plate to mount the amp with the door stoppers and screwed the plate to the existing holes.
As posted earlier,
There were No Holes on car floor earlier, No holes are after the Happy Legs installation too.
The amp files nicely as properly zip-tied cables doesn't allow amp to move.
Old 6th May 2012, 19:55   #10
BHPian

Great job! Looks unique and real bling. Just a suggestion; you may want to add a small fan( the kind you find on a computer CPU heat sink) to the whole setup to keep your Amp cool and add some more bling. Saw a couple of transparent fans with integrated LEDs on them for sale online. They look really good.
Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 02:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat View Post
Great job! Looks unique and real bling. Just a suggestion; you may want to add a small fan( the kind you find on a computer CPU heat sink) to the whole setup to keep your Amp cool and add some more bling. Saw a couple of transparent fans with integrated LEDs on them for sale online. They look really good.
Thanks,
I already have those 12v Fans, cheapest available ones are the Fan from a computer SMPS.

Adding a fan would need the fan to be mounted on sides or from top, as this JVC AMP has no breathing vents on bottom, so Adding a fan on bottom will not help much.

However the Amp is 2 Inch above the floor carpet so the Air circulation is already better than what it used to get when it was kept on carpet, I touched the amp after a hours or drive and it was not much HOT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks