Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:48   #1
BHPian

Speaker combination for existing HU & amp

Hi everybody,

I require some urgent assistance regarding matching of speakers to my head unit and amplifier, which I intend shifting from my Tata Indigo to my Verna Fluidic shortly. I am getting my Verna tomorrow or by the end of this week latest.

I have :
Pioneer head unit DEH-6390SD
Blaupunkt amplifier GTA270 (RMS power 4 ohms - 2 x 70 watts)
Blaupunkt subwoofer GTb300 (both amp and sub of 2005 vintage)

The front and rear speakers were also Blaupunkt BGx402 front speakers and Blaupunkt TX369.1 rear speakers (6 x 9 inchers) , but I am letting them go with my Indigo, as I feel there are better options open on the market now.

My listening preferences are American contemporary country music, English instrumental and easy-listening tracks in English, at low volume but should get good thump and sharpness comparable to home stereo. My present setup gives me this now.

Since the Verna Fluidic only permits installation of door speakers (16 or 17 cm dia), I need to know the best combination of speakers that I should buy for the doors.

I have heard that Components perform better than normal speakers - should I go for components both front and rear? With or without crossovers? What would I get for around Rs.7500 for the whole setup? Or how much would I have to spend? I am a middle-class, VFM guy!!!

While choosing home stereo, a wise man once told me that the RMS rating of the speakers should be slightly lower than that of the amplifier, since we are NOT going to be blasting the system out loud. Works well for home, is this true for cars as well?

I visited a so-called "expert" here in Mysore today and got three different opinions from the owner (who was only interested in my money) to his partner, to a set of workers. All in the span of 10 minutes, so you can understand my confusion.

Thanks a lot. I'll keep you posted on how the installation turns out.

CLYDE
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speaker combination for existing HU & amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
... should I go for components both front and rear? With or without crossovers? What would I get for around Rs.7500 for the whole setup? Or how much would I have to spend? ...
Components are much better than most coaxes. No, don't put components in the rear, just round coaxes in the doors.

Start with auditioning components - JBL GTO, Infinity Reference, Morel Maximo etc. Some you may like, others you may not. Once you have decided which components to get, get coaxes of the same brand / range.

A set of components and round coaxes from this range should cost you together about 8-9K in Bangalore, might be a tad higher in Mysore. With 7.5K, you would get JBL GT5 - audition them first, not sure if you would like them.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everybody,

The front and rear speakers were also Blaupunkt BGx402 front speakers and Blaupunkt TX369.1 rear speakers (6 x 9 inchers) , but I am letting them go with my Indigo, as I feel there are better options open on the market now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Components are much better than most coaxes. No, don't put components in the rear, just round coaxes in the doors.
Clyde, since you are retaining the BGx40, may i suggest you installing it in the rear doors driven directly from the HU. The 25W RMS is best left for the HU to drive. That means you can spend 7.5k for the components to be driven by the amplifiers. I just upgraded my JBL GTO 607c components with Infinity Primus PR6500CS which costed me 7.5K including installation. I am very much satisfied by the result, please be aware that the tweeters are very crisp, but I found that alternative music with acoustic overtones sounds great with these. The strumming is very distinct and clear. You might have to keep the treble levels lower than what you are used to.

The Infinity Primus is very new, just started in the market, so it might be hard for you to find the specs online. Here is it from what i can recollect from the box.

Freq response - 53Hz to 21KHz
RMS -80W
Max - 240W
Sensitivity - 93dB

All the best, do audition the speakers before you make a decision.

Last edited by glidealong : 3rd May 2012 at 14:52.
glidealong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidealong View Post
RMS -80W
Hey, sorry for going OT, but I have a query here, nothing particular, but relating to the wattage.

Is 80W/100W/any other figure for that matter, that is mentioned for the speakers related to single side, or the set of speakers.

Please excuse me for this question.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidealong View Post
Clyde, since you are retaining the BGx40, may i suggest you installing it in the rear doors driven directly from the HU. ...
He can't - those are 4" speakers that were in his Indigo dash location. The Verna door location is 6.5".

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
... Is 80W/100W/any other figure for that matter, that is mentioned for the speakers related to single side, or the set of speakers. ...
The wattage refers to the power handling capacity of *each* coax speaker, or the mid-bass+tweeter component set that goes into 1 location.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everybody,

I require some urgent assistance regarding matching of speakers to my head unit and amplifier, which I intend shifting from my Tata Indigo to my Verna Fluidic shortly. I am getting my Verna tomorrow or by the end of this week latest.

I have :
Pioneer head unit DEH-6390SD
Blaupunkt amplifier GTA270 (RMS power 4 ohms - 2 x 70 watts)
Blaupunkt subwoofer GTb300 (both amp and sub of 2005 vintage)

My listening preferences are American contemporary country music, English instrumental and easy-listening tracks in English, at low volume but should get good thump and sharpness comparable to home stereo. My present setup gives me this now.

While choosing home stereo, a wise man once told me that the RMS rating of the speakers should be slightly lower than that of the amplifier, since we are NOT going to be blasting the system out loud. Works well for home, is this true for cars as well?

CLYDE
Do keep in mind that if you select your speakers based on low volume performance - they are goin to sound boomy and uncontrolled at louder volumes.

This is because at louder volumes our ears "hear" the bass and lower mids more clearly compared to lower volumes.

Equal-loudness contour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding the amp wattage vs speaker wattage. What holds true at home holds true everywhere else (including the car), because the speakers and amps don't change.
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:55   #7
BHPian

Thanks e3verybody for the prompt and very helpful replies. I only hope I can audition the speakers prior to installation - Mysore doesn't have very many audio shops as Bangalore and those that exist have the speakers fitted on a board in the shop. In greater open spaces, the sound is much different than what one hears in-car.
Thanks again to everyone who answered me. I knew I could count on team-bhpians!!!
Warmest regards and I'll keep everyone posted on how the instal. turns out. BTW, I am getting my new Verna Fluidic tomorrow or Saturday latest! Hope to get some pretty good tunes going!
CLYDE
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:38   #8
BHPian

Dear Glidealong,

I'll try for the Infinity as recommended by you, but what do you say to Pioneer's TS-D1720C speakers? The specs are :
Music power : 260W max 60W nominal
Freq. response 30Hz to 33KHz
Sensitivity 88dB

These are 2 + 2 tweeters, with 2 crossovers.

Incidentally, which speakers should I use for the rear doors? Would Pioneer 2-way speakers do, or should I go in for dual-cone types? Would you please let me know the difference sound wise?

I will have Blaupunkt's GTb300 subwoofer in the boot, linked to my Blaupunkt GT270 amplifier. Should I connect the components to the amp?

You may recall that I intend leaving the Blaupunkt BGx402 units back in my Indigo, which I plan to sell. So the speakers for my new Verna will be all-new.

Thanks for your advise and hope to hear from you soon.
CLYDE
Old 4th May 2012, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... should I go in for dual-cone types? ...
Nooooooooooooo... absolutely not! Even Sony coaxials are better than that. Pioneer is not bad, but try other brands first.
Old 5th May 2012, 00:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Glidealong,

I'll try for the Infinity as recommended by you, but what do you say to Pioneer's TS-D1720C speakers? The specs are :
Music power : 260W max 60W nominal
Freq. response 30Hz to 33KHz
Sensitivity 88dB

These are 2 + 2 tweeters, with 2 crossovers.

Incidentally, which speakers should I use for the rear doors? Would Pioneer 2-way speakers do, or should I go in for dual-cone types? Would you please let me know the difference sound wise?

I will have Blaupunkt's GTb300 subwoofer in the boot, linked to my Blaupunkt GT270 amplifier. Should I connect the components to the amp?
Clyde, I have used Pioneer, Sony, JBL and Infinity and I would rate Sony<Pioneer<JBL<Infinity.

Pioneers are ok speakers, I used to like it when i was listening to them, but once I heard JBL I was blown away. And same when I heard Infinity Kappa series.
One of the features I like about the Pioneer speakers u mentioned above is the frequency response 30Hz to 33KHz. That sounds amazing for a 6.75" .
But the crossover is set at 2.8KHz which sounds too much for the tweeter. Not sure how the tweeter would perform.

Overall the pioneers seem to satisfy the needs of the majority
DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - Pioneer TS-D1720C Components
and even some magazines
www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/CAE720Review.pdf

Try JBL components too and see which you prefer.

Overall, I might prefer Infinity Kappa series over Primus series , but not for the looks or the tweeters - they are too bright for me.

Last edited by glidealong : 5th May 2012 at 00:38.
Old 27th May 2012, 15:09   #11
BHPian

I dont know if I can ask it here, but I have just installed a pioneer amp and a set of jbl comps in my car and I am not sure if the guy has configured it properly. So, can anyone in THANE help me may be by meeting for a while or sharing his phone number?

Apurva.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqplus View Post
... I am not sure if the guy has configured it properly ...
There is not much that can be 'configured' in your setup. What is it that is causing doubts in your mind? Don't worry about terminology - just express it the way you see it, or hear it.

Also, don't be scared of tuning your system to your liking. It is not a rather simple procedure - just requires a bit of patience and perseverance. Look up the threads in the ICE section that have tuning procedures used / recommended by a lot of people here.

Last edited by DerAlte : 29th May 2012 at 11:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks