Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 17:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti WagonR ICE'D!

My WagonR is five years old and I was happy with basic Sony setup of two Xplod 4” dashboard speakers and CD/FM player. Sound was OK nothing fancy about it but I planned to upgrade the system by adding a woofer and two coaxials.

Issue was that my budget was tight yet I want a decent sounding system. I am not an audiophile but just want a decent setup.

My maximum budget was 10K but this was exceeded by another 3K and final cost came out to be13K.

Details of the installed accessories –

KICKER Bass tube – Rs. 5000

Sony Xplod 16cm 3-way Co-axial speakers (XS-GT69322) in rear parcel tray. – Rs. 3200

Sony Xplod 2/1 Channel Amplifier (XM-GTX60212) – Rs. 2700

Wiring + Parcel tray. – Rs. 1000

Taxes – Rs. 1100

Check out the specs of Amp/co-axials @XM-GTX60212 : Xplod™ Amplifier : In-Car Entertainment : Sony India and XS-GT69322 : Speakers : Xplod™ Speakers / Subwoofer : Sony India

All items with Bill/2 years warranty, Installation done from ‘The Car Gallery' C-Block, Prashant Vihar, Sector-14, Rohini, (Experience about installer is average - nothing to write home about, will be avoided for future installs because of the arrogant nature of owner).

The person at shop demonstrated JBL 12” Bass tube and Kicker12” Bass tube, both are priced similarly but Kicker tube offered much better bass than JBL.

Initially I was suspecting Kicker bass tube to be fake (please check the pic) but it sounded way better than JBL tube and I had to choose this one (Don’t know if it is fake or original but it sounds very good).

Sony Xplod co-axials also sounds well even though they are connected directly to the head unit – Amplifier only driving the Bass tube. Amplifier is placed under front passenger seat – I hope that’s not an issue. Bass tube has detachable connector so if boot space is required then it can be taken out easily.

Overall this is very basic system and nothing fancy but I am happy that I got what I wanted i.e. decent sound with ample of bass within my limited budget. This was my first attempt of ICE’Ing the car and I promise to install a good quality system in future. But as of now this system full fills my needs and that’s what is important.

Thanks folks for reading!

Maruti WagonR ICE'D!-service-1.jpg

Maruti WagonR ICE'D!-service-2.jpg

Maruti WagonR ICE'D!-service-6.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th July 2012 at 17:37.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 17:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR ICE'D!

Don't know how it will sound but it does look to kick some real bass as the name suggest

You put a bass tube where people put CNG's cylinder , sorry have to ask lack of boot space don't bother you?

I was thinking of replacing the factory fitted Wagon R music with new one but found, High fidelity Music distracts my attention while driving.
I just find my self comfortable listening to FM with subdued frequencies .
Old 30th July 2012, 18:24   #3
BHPian

I think you can go to K.Car Kunj Pvt. Ltd. Punjabi Bagh. Nice knowledgeable guy with good experience in selling good quality products
Old 30th July 2012, 18:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post

You put a bass tube where people put CNG's cylinder , sorry have to ask lack of boot space don't bother you?
For daily drives there is no utilization of boot and for airport/station trips if I will require boot space for carrying luggage then the bass tube is removable and can be kept at home for the time being. Also we have other cars at home so I really don't bother about boot space for this particular car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
I was thinking of replacing the factory fitted Wagon R music with new one but found, High fidelity Music distracts my attention while driving.
I just find my self comfortable listening to FM with subdued frequencies .
I agree, anything above 25-30 will be disturbing but if volume is kept at moderate level of 15-20 then you can really enjoy the music without any disturbance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
I think you can go to K.Car Kunj Pvt. Ltd. Punjabi Bagh. Nice knowledgeable guy with good experience in selling good quality products
Noted, will try this for future needs.
Old 30th July 2012, 19:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
KICKER Bass tube – Rs. 5000

Sony Xplod 2/1 Channel Amplifier (XM-GTX60212) – Rs. 2700

All items with Bill/2 years warranty, Installation done from ‘The Car Gallery' C-Block, Prashant Vihar, Sector-14, Rohini,
That looks a good setup to me.
The car gallery, is this the one near that Prashant Nursing Home or the one diagonal to CRPF?

Am looking for a similar upgrade, will follow your review.
Old 30th July 2012, 20:14   #6
BHPian

OT: Can anyone share the difference/s between bass tube & Woofer?
Old 30th July 2012, 21:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
That looks a good setup to me.
The car gallery, is this the one near that Prashant Nursing Home or the one diagonal to CRPF?

Am looking for a similar upgrade, will follow your review.
Yes this one is near CRPF Public school.

I am happy with the setup, no complaints whatsoever.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes this one is near CRPF Public school.

I am happy with the setup, no complaints whatsoever.
Okay, I've been to this shop a few times. I find the owner, the elder brother a bit arrogant. But there work is good, my friend also got his WagonR Ice-d there with humble co ax's ate rear and speaker up front and the install was good.

Pardon my noob ICE knowledge, but I guess bass tubes come with a punch controller? Where was it installed?
Old 31st July 2012, 05:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Pardon my noob ICE knowledge, but I guess bass tubes come with a punch controller? Where was it installed?
Well no idea about this, even I am a noob in ICE department. However I can control the bass from the HU.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
functionally there shouldnt be, but bass tubes tend to be cheaper than boxed subs, and due to their lower price, and also due to their target segment, they are tuned more for outright volume, than quality , and end up sounding rather boomy. They're perfect for hip hop etc, but for critical listening, you're better off with a boxed sub.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 11:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
We can say that bass tubes are generally best for show offs.
Old 31st July 2012, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

It is one of the worst places to get the ICE installed.. absolutely non-professional.. 'jee - bhaiyaa' kinda attitude of the owners pisses me off!
Old 29th December 2022, 19:15   #13
BHPian

Ice upgrade for old Wagon R

We have a 2017 wagonR whose ICE we now intend to upgrade. I have attached a pic of the company fitted ICE just for reference.

Would like to invest in a nice system - 50k
Would love to have inputs re the same.

Rgds.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cowardly Lion : 29th December 2022 at 19:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks