Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 14:57   #1
BHPian

Troubleshooting an Intermittent Speaker Issue

Need help from the Gurus.

Currently the sytem in my car is going through a mixed phase and I kind of finding it difficult to pin point on the exact issue.

The comps are being driven from a 2 channel amp with dedicated 4 AWG wire connection.

Now the problem is the system will work fine and then when I start the car next morning the right side speakers wont work and at times both wont work, if I raise the volume up it kindof starts working for some time and then back to not working.

I got the wiring check, even got the entire speaker wires replaces for both but still the issue persists.

Went ahead and changed the HU to see if its the HU, still its same.

In the meantime it was found that the amp is shutting of in between, so to be sure installed a spare amp to see if its the amp itself.

The sytem worked fine for hours and today morning the right side doesnt work.

Have checked the connections, ground including its fine.

When the sytem works both the speakers. i.e. right and left work flawlessly and there is no issue.

But then suddenly the next morining one of the side wont work.

I am kindof stuck what to look for now to troubleshoot the issues, do you think I should change the 4 AWG wire to see if thats the problem cause that is what is left now in the equaltion of is there anything which I have missed out.
Old 19th February 2013, 15:30   #2
BHPian

re: Troubleshooting an Intermittent Speaker Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Now the problem is the system will work fine and then when I start the car next morning the right side speakers wont work and at times both wont work, if I raise the volume up it kindof starts working for some time and then back to not working.
When you wrote this, I got a feeling someone's been driving my City :-)

I have an identical problem in one of my rear speakers. When it wont work, I would raise the volume really high & it'll start working fine. After some time, it'll fizzle out again until I realise the difference in sound. Got wires/connexions checked, the guy fooled me saying "carbon aa gaya hai, saaf kar diya, ab chalega" but its still the same. Mine is a no-frill Kenwood HU with 2 front and 2 rear speakers and no amp, etc.
Old 20th February 2013, 10:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Troubleshooting an Intermittent Speaker Issue

Guys, check connections at the speaker end. Maybe something is shorting.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I got the wiring check, even got the entire speaker wires replaces for both but still the issue persists.
If problem persists after changing speaker cables, please check RCA connectors/cables.

Quote:
Have checked the connections, ground including its fine.
Please check how amplifier has been grounded. As far as I know, it should be on non-painted area on car body.

Have you checked if amp remains ON when you face this issue? If amp remains ON, problem would be with RCA cables/connectors. If amp doesn't remain ON, problem lies with amp or amp grounding.
Old 20th February 2013, 13:12   #5
BHPian

Yes the RCA cables has been changed too, grounding is without paint and has been checked as well.

The amplifier is ON as one of the sides i.e. left is working fine.

The next set of things I plan to check is.

1. Check the wires ones again to be sure again.

2. Move the grounding point though its as per norms i.e. without paint and confirmed connection.

3. Change the 4 AWG wire (power and ground wires).

4. Check the remote wire, though the amp is ON as one of the sides is working but just to be doubly sure.
Old 20th February 2013, 14:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have eliminated most options.

I'd switch the L and R speakers and then switch the crossovers too. And see if this then repeats on the RHS. If the problem starts on the LHS then you have a component problem.
Old 6th March 2013, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Thought about updating this thread.

The problem was resolved, there was some issue with the amp which was shutting down intermittently.

The wires as it is were checked again, fuse changed and now it works fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks