Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 12:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tweeter Gone Weak?

Hi guys!

I had installed my ICE pretty recently sometime in November 2012 and was very happy with it until now. I am using the Gladen Zero 165 Components driven from a Mosconi One 120.4 amp. Everything was normal until a couple of weeks back I found the right tweeter to sound way softer than the left tweeter .

In the beginning I thought I could be imagining things. I checked the fader, TA and any possible loose connections but could not come to a conclusion. However, the fader made the difference in sound very evident. So now the only option was to see whether there was a problem with the tweeter or the crossover.

So visited the audio store and the installer immediately noticed the vast difference. We connected the unusual right tweeter to the left crossover and it sounded the same as before. So it was clear that the tweeter was the issue. So on asking the installer the reason for this, I was told that the tweeter has become weak.

So what does this mean actually and what has caused this issue?
Old 20th May 2013, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tweeter Gone Weak?

You haven't mentioned if the left tweeter functions well with the right crossover, nor whether the right midbass has also lost loudness along with the right tweeter. Similarly, you haven't mentioned whether you have tried the Balance control (Fader moves image front to back or vice-versa; Balance does it left to right or vice-versa).

Has any fluid leaked from the tweeter by any chance?

Possibility 1: the magnet going weak, but this is extremely rare - unless it is hit hard with something it wouldn't, and that doesn't seem to be in your case

Possibility3: a component in the cross-over, or possibly a connection (solder joint, screw connector, wire connection) not as good as it was before. Open the cross-overs and check

Possibility 4: increased viscocity on the ferro-fluid in the tweeter, or the solder connection to the leads

Possibility 5: something wrong with the right channel of the amp, or with the RCA cable from HU to amp. But, in this case even the right midbass will sound attenuated

Your best course of action would be to involve the dealer and (hopefully) the A.S.S. agency of Gladen.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 14:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Possibility3: a component in the cross-over, or possibly a connection (solder joint, screw connector, wire connection) not as good as it was before. Open the cross-overs and check

Possibility 5: something wrong with the right channel of the amp, or with the RCA cable from HU to amp. But, in this case even the right midbass will sound attenuated

Your best course of action would be to involve the dealer and (hopefully) the A.S.S. agency of Gladen.
It reminds me of the issue I once faced in my setup.
After checking everything it boiled down to the amp being faulty at that time.

I am sure you would have bought the speakers with warranty, so check with the dealer aswell.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You haven't mentioned if the left tweeter functions well with the right crossover, nor whether the right midbass has also lost loudness along with the right tweeter. Similarly, you haven't mentioned whether you have tried the Balance control (Fader moves image front to back or vice-versa; Balance does it left to right or vice-versa).

Has any fluid leaked from the tweeter by any chance?

Possibility 1: the magnet going weak, but this is extremely rare - unless it is hit hard with something it wouldn't, and that doesn't seem to be in your case

Possibility 4: increased viscocity on the ferro-fluid in the tweeter, or the solder connection to the leads

Haven't checked if the left tweeter works with the right crossover but the mid bass is absolutely fine. It is only the tweeter that is sounding soft. Sorry had only mentioned fader but I have tried balance and fader and it was actually the balance (where I only played the front right component speaker) that actually identified that the tweeter was soft but mid bass fine.

There is no sign of any fluid leak.

Possibility 1 as you mentioned is rare and I cannot see a chance of that happening.

Possibility 3 is something I need to check.

Possibility 4 is something I have no clue about

Possibility 5 is ruled out as I had initially also interchanged the channels and of course there is no issue with the mid bass.

I have already brought this issue up with the authorized dealers for Gladen and from whom I had purchased this item and they have willingly agreed to replace the tweeter under warranty so no issue with after sales.

Was just wondering though how this has happened within 06 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
It reminds me of the issue I once faced in my setup.
After checking everything it boiled down to the amp being faulty at that time.

I am sure you would have bought the speakers with warranty, so check with the dealer aswell.
As mentioned, the amp is fine. Products are under warranty.
Old 17th July 2013, 12:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

The problem seems to be resolved. We did not have the tweeter changed but instead repaired and it seemed to be a very minor issue. Apparently some glue internally had come off and so led to a loose connection. Had the tweeter sent to the dealer, the same was repaired and sent back to me in two days.

I have already installed it and played it for a bit and it seems absolutely fine. However, will run it for a couple of weeks and see if any issues crop up. As of now I am satisfied with the outcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks