Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2006, 17:42   #1
BHPian

Pioneer 3850 HU Trouble

Hi all,
My Pioneer DEH-3850MPH HU cuts out on me randomly. The system appears to be reading and playing CD's normally, as indicated by the display, and the tuner seems to be working fine too. There is just not output at all from any of the speakers, just total silence, not even hissing.

This has happened a number of times, while the car was running and when started after a period.

Sometimes it will start working spontaneously and then stop after a variable period of time (seconds to minutes).

The installer came by to look at it, and checked out the wiring for loose contacts. After that we even drove on some bad roads to check for loose contacts and it was woring fine.

Later that evening, it was not working when I started the car, which had been parked for about 2-3 hours, so I just switched it off

But next morning, when I left home, I tried switching it on, and it worked, but then cut out after about 10 seconds, and has not worked since.

When it does work, output to all speakers is present, with no delays between speakers, and no artefacting.

Also, when it is not working, if I switch it off and then on again, or if I eject and reattach the faceplate, I hear a faint sound once from the speakers, which reminds me of the pop that old valve types used to make when you switch them on (anyone remember that sound), and that is all.

The unit is currently with the Service Centre in KDPuram, TVM.

The unit is only one month old, and I am really annoyed.

My question is, what could be wrong, and should I ask for a replacement instead of a repair?

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

NPP
Old 11th June 2006, 18:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can get a replacement, ofcourse ask for it. Was it under warranty?

I would also check the wires at the speaker end, just to make sure none of the contacts are also touching the body of the car too.
Old 11th June 2006, 18:48   #3
BHPian

The unit was only one month old, with a one year warranty.

But if the speaker wires were touching the body, would that cause all of them to cut out at the same time?
Old 12th June 2006, 12:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it would. If any one wire touches the body, the HU sound can cut off on all chanels.
Old 12th June 2006, 16:43   #5
BHPian

Well, you were right, Sam!

Seems the Indus Service guys found that the speaker pots (magnets) in the front door mounts were very close to the power window assembly, so they put some sponge at the back of the magnet and instead of sticking it on, they tied the sponge to the speaker cone frame with naked chicken wire. This was touching the body and causing the problem.

Luckily the whole system was not shorted out.
Old 12th June 2006, 18:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well there you go, problem solved.

Mods please close thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks