Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 02:27   #1
BHPian

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster

I had been searching for a budget equipment with decent ICE + GPS navigation + OBD reader in the market for quite sometime but couldnt find anything that suit my needs. So I started a DIY project for the HU and the installation

Following is the list of equipment used:
============================

- Andrio IVI : An Audiophile grade Android based IVI with Beresford Caiman USB DAC. Display panel will be flush mounted to the top of the dashboard later.

- Speakers : HAT Unity (6.5") using DIY 6.5" spacers

- Amp : Hertz HE4 (Channel A for the component speakers and the Channel B in bridged mode for the sub)

- Tapped Horn subwoofer (AutoTuba). Currently settled for a sealed version of JBL 804, will change the design to tapped horn once the main ICE is settled and also wanted to know how a sealed design sounds in a car as the tapped horn will be an extension of a sealed design.

- Belden U5000 series 16awg speaker cables

- VDH OFC / DIY UPOCC 0.5 meter solid core pure silver interconnects

- Door Damping using .8mm Bitumen sheets (Each door has 3 layers for the outer panel + 1 layer for the innerside of the inner panel + 2 layers for the inner panel, total 6 layers of .8mm damping, doors are pretty solid and no leaks b/n the front and back waves from the speakers.

- Generic Amplifier kit from eBay as I was in a hurry. Used the power cable and the fuse holder and the trigger wire. This power line will be used for a different purpose once I get a good quality 4awg industrial power cable.

- Installation : DIY

Few WIP pictures:
=============

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_0001.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_0027.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_9414.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_9415.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_0029.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_9421.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_9423.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_9459.jpg

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-dsc_9471.jpg

contd...
::CMS:: is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 17:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster

Fantastic. Waiting for more. Why tapped horn enclosure?
Old 11th September 2013, 18:16   #3
BHPian

Wow! ICE DYIed is a first to me! Waiting for more pictures and costs.

Did you find an adapter for connecting power to the HU?

Looking for installation of Sub and Woofer in my Duster. Will wait for your recommendations.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 18:19   #4
BHPian

I am attaching a Proof of Concept youtube video link taken during the stress testing of Andrio IVI:

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 11th September 2013 at 18:49.
Old 11th September 2013, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Amazing a DIY, hope it turns out well. I definitely wouldn't have the stomach to pull that off, at least not until I had the experience of doing it before. Have you done this before or just watched and learned.
Old 11th September 2013, 18:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Amazing a DIY, hope it turns out well. I definitely wouldn't have the stomach to pull that off, at least not until I had the experience of doing it before. Have you done this before or just watched and learned.
Me with the help of service manual. I dont have the guts to give this to an installer, I am sure that he will mess it up since its entirely different than a normal headunit install.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 11th September 2013 at 18:53.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 23:27   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Fantastic. Waiting for more. Why tapped horn enclosure?
I was looking out for a sub with fast, tight, deep distortion free bass tuned to somewhere ~40-50Hz. More importantly, a high efficient sub with less power requirement. A horn sub esp a tapped horn is perfect for this. The highlight is the precise mid bass. More over I am spoiled by the horn sound, to be honest, once you hear a horn sub you will never go back to any sealed/ported sub, its like an addiction.

My first experience with a Tapped Horn sub was the DIY flat bed version of TubaHT (6ft x 2ft x 18") based on a 15" Dayton Reference subwoofer, it does ~15Hz authoritatively and the amazing part is that I am only using a 240w Dayton plate amp. It was built with the help of my carpenters as it was a precision job, the horn mouth dimensions are critical. More details of the build can be found at : http://www.hifivision.com/diy/22508-...reference.html

A sample cross section image:

DIY : ICE install in a Renault Duster-thtlpview1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Waiting for more pictures and costs.
I didnt specifically buy anything for this installation except the Hertz HE4 (~7K) and HAT unity speakers (I believe it was ~20K). Getting the JBL 804 (long throw sub) was a tedious task, none of the jbl distrubutors in india was having any stock of this, atlast I got it from an FM in another forum for ~2.5K. Door damping was done using bitumin sheets (~1200/- for a full roll, more than enough for the entire car, will be doing it in stages). I had all the cables with me which I was experimenting in my home audio. I think VDH MKIII 0.5mtr interconnect costed me ~5K, dont remember exactly. The UPOCC pure silver cables are DIY cables.

Mod note: Any photographs within a thread MUST be uploaded to the Team-BHP server. Displaying externally hosted pictures is NOT permitted.
Please go through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th August 2014 at 11:24. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 06:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I didnt specifically buy anything for this installation except the Hertz HE4 (~7K) and HAT unity speakers (I believe it was ~20K).
Did you mean 2K? or 20K

If 20K thats one expensive speaker set
Old 12th September 2013, 09:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Did you mean 2K? or 20K

Its ~20000 INR.
http://store.12velectronics.com/unit...peaker-system/

The actual price is 449$, now its available for 400$

Many people doesnt know about HAT (Hybrid Audio Technologies : http://hybrid-audio.com/), its one of the companies in US that makes some of the finest speakers in the car audio, in US its pretty well known. The BeeSound Inc is their official distributor in India, sorry, I couldnt find a link with detailed info other than this: (http://gear heads/showthread.php?784...o-and-Tchernov) *Remove the space betweeen "gear" & "heads"

I went for HAT Unity speakers because of its good IB installation properties and its Mids are something to die for in this price range.

Last edited by navin : 12th September 2013 at 10:05. Reason: edited short form for "between"
Old 12th September 2013, 09:40   #10
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2013 at 14:38.
Diamond_dawg is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th September 2013, 09:58   #11
BHPian

Check the abroad forums like diycaraudio / caraudio etc, you will find hell lot of info and info on proper IB install on doors

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2013 at 14:39. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 12th September 2013, 10:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
No 20K is about right in fact cheap. I paid more for my HATs and this was in 2012 when the dollar was not in the 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Its ~20000 INR.
Many people doesnt know about HAT..I went for HAT Unity speakers because of its good IB installation properties and its Mids are something to die for in this price range.
They aren't that rare, I use HATs (Legatia SE) in my Camry. I have seen/heard many HAT (almost all Legatia or SE) speakers in other cars (for example L8v2 mated to L3V2 biamped at 300hz) too.

CMS, a TH is pretty efficient within it's bandwidth limitation but in my limited experience sealed and TLs offer more 'tuneful' bass.

Last edited by navin : 12th September 2013 at 10:04.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
No 20K is about right in fact cheap. I paid more for my HATs and this was in 2012 when the dollar was not in the 60s.
I bought it long time back, I think in 2011, now it will cost a lot more, the US price itself is more than 25000 INR.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice DIY.but my friend you can accomodate a 6.5inch easily inside the front door and cove up to make it look stock,installing spacer on the plastic will result in air leaks.

Ramie
ramie2400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 10:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

CMS your installation is completed? I will visit to your parking to have a look & audition of your precious install in next 1 - 2 weeks. Selection of all components are fantastic. Would love to hear once.
Also, welcome to T-Bhp.

OT: CMS is very popular among Bangalore audiophiles and his HT setup at his home is to die for. He had built complete theater inside his house with varying equipment collected from different parts of world.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks