Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 21:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Downside of High-End Audio Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post
Did a small study on different CDs that I use and found out that it isn't the player but the CD is the culprit.
Played different CDs while on the move and the ones I had burnt long back using Nero in PC played well but the recent ones that I burnt using Roxio in my laptop had that problem. Not exactly sure about this but this may be the reason. If ever someone face the problem, do try burning the CD in a different software.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-find-out.html
check this thread for diagnosing CD Skipping due to bad CD's!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 01:52   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
50K should be the limit, beyond that it is very difficult to perceive and enjoy the difference in the sound quality due the ambient noise. If only cars came with Noise Cancellation window panes
A very misleading statement.
A poorly thought out expensive setup will probably be worse off than its cheaper cousin.
But, a well planned and installed setup for say 250k will blow the socks off a similarly well planned and executed 50k setup.
Ambient noise. Or not.

There is absolutely no way one can put a cap on what a budget system should cost.
Or where it transcends into the high end arena.

Of course, as with any other hobby, the law of diminishing returns applies.
gotzuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 12:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would I do it all over again? Honestly, no. I'd probably restrict it to a simpler speaker upgrade, with an amp thrown in. As a certain Sam Kapasi once said, it's not the audio system that creates the magic...it's the artist & track playing that really count!
I totally agree with this. I did have decent equipment (02 amps, a sub, components, coaxials & a high end HU) in my previous car which was a Swift and I thoroughly enjoyed the sound. The downside was zero boot space, that worry of theft and amps getting damaged while trying to load the little luggage that one can load. It was quiet a headache really!!

Today in my Polo I decided to just have the basics like good high end head unit, components, coaxials and a good 4-channel amp and I am very happy with the decision.
Old 16th November 2013, 22:54   #64
BHPian

This is a very useful thread GTO.
I underwent almost all of the points mentioned in your thread recently while upgrading my Toyota Etios ICE. I ended-up visiting 3 different shops in Chennai before i could satisfy myself with the quality of work. Here goes my story -
I bought my car in June 2013 and realized that the stock audio is pathetic for my taste. Since the car doesn't come with rear speakers, my first thought was to buy a decent pair of rear speaker. Came across JBL S959 6"X9" co-axial at a discounted price in Snapdeal and bought it. Now starts the drama -
Shop1 - I did identified couple of good shops in Chennai by scanning team-bhp threads, however, all of them were far away from my house. Hence, decided to settle with a nearby shop. They suggested me to buy an amp and installed it just under the front-passenger seat using sticker tape :-). Since the installation went late night, i didn't realize the poor quality of fitment until next day morning. Also, the system output was kind of jarring and i didn't like it at all. Moreover, there was grease and dust inside the car that almost made me completely unhappy and nervous. Next, i decided to go to the shop recommended by a team-bhp'ian.
Shop2 - Motomall @ Mount Road, Chennai - I requested them to perform a complete re-wiring as well as to move the amp to the rear. In fact, they did a decent job by correcting all the bad things done at Shop1. Now comes the next challenge. Being an audiophile, i prefer a decent bass, which my current system was not delivering. Even though Motomall did a good job, i wanted someone who are experts in ICE. Then my colleague told me about Teknocrat, Chennai. I remember seeing this name in team-bhp as well. Checked their website and got convinced about the offering. In the meatime, i also bought a Sony 2 DIN system via Snapdeal at a discounted price.
Shop3 - Teknocrat, Chennai - Voila ! They did exactly what i wanted. In fact, i had a detailed discussion with the senior installer there and he patiently listened to my expectation. The decision was to install a sub (JL, USA) + necessary changes to wiring + install my already bought 2DIN Sony system. They too installed the amp under the front-passenger seat now. No more inconvenience to rear passengers + the system is safe now. Everything was done neat and tidy. I really appreciate their quality work.

So, anyone planning for an ICE upgrade, the prime consideration is the credential of the installer. Please do a thorough research and never ever go just because the shop is near to your house or office. i learned it the hard way.
Old 17th November 2013, 03:34   #65
BHPian

I agree with GTO too .. 100 % , and that's why i've resisted upgrading the ICE in my Civic for so long. In fact, I have two amps from my old Esteem and a Alpine head unit but i just can't bring myself to allow anyone to open up stuff as i finally have a rattle free car. That said, the limitations of the stock audio setup are also getting to me. I'm trying to figure out a middle ground but i'm still very apprehensive about tampering with the factory 'fit'.

On a seperate note, maybe we need to choose our next cars according to the factory ICE options. We could all buy Outlanders with the Rockford Fosgate factory option !
Old 18th November 2013, 13:05   #66
BHPian

Post edited: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Thanks.

Almost 95% of the guys at these accessories outlets, even the most fairly known ones have little or zero training. Their most important tools are the screw driver, blade and the insulation tape. They care a hoot for the panels in your car. Everything is pried open with the screw driver without zero bother towards the damage. And they never use standard hardware or connectors anywhere during the installation and never put back most of the original hardware from your car. That is how they collect buckets of fasteners. Hardware from one car is reused on somebody else's . My used Getz came with 2-din JVC head unit, little did I know the atrocious way it was put up there. One day I jumped a pond on my way to kerala, in the middle of no where, the entire center panel fell off. I realized the heavy system was mounted on the flimsy plastic panel rather than the chassis and more importantly all the plastic lock clips for the panel were missing. So we completed the last part of the journey with my better half holding the center panel up. I am not convinced that even the authorized service center guys care a lot or follow instruction manuals when replacing parts on vehicles and I saw this first hand when the guys were trying to replace a worn out stud on one of the wheels. So now any accessory addition or replacement, I research, get to know how to put it on and then do it myself. Even if I screw up, I know it was me.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th November 2013 at 13:21.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 13:34   #67
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure,if someone raised this point earlier;what about damping?
This Saturday,driver side power window got stuck due to lack of lubrication and the glass channels needed some lubrication;due to the doors being damped,the mechanic had a harrowing time and a 15 minute job took 45 minutes,as i had given him instructions to not screw up the damping sheets
Old 18th November 2013, 14:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
... driver side power window got stuck due to lack of lubrication and the glass channels needed some lubrication; ...
The velvet lining of the side channels that hold the glass just needed a dose of WD40 (with glass down). No need to open the door pad.
Old 18th November 2013, 14:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The velvet lining of the side channels that hold the glass just needed a dose of WD40 (with glass down). No need to open the door pad.
Had tried that, it didnt work
Old 18th November 2013, 15:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a pre-owned Civic a month back. It was a replacement to my Punto which had a decent ICE worth about 45k. So, it was one of my priorities to get a good HU, 2 amps, speaker upgrades and a sub for the Civic.

But then I thought - How much will I drive the petrol A/T Civic? Barely 30-40 kms a week. Does that warrant a high end audio? No ways.

Secondly, I observed that most of the times when I was driving the Punto, I used to hear the music at low volumes. While driving, I dont even pay attention to which song is being played. Then what purpose does the amp and sub solve?

Thirdly, even if you get your car ICE'd by a professional, some plastic panels do tend to rattle in the long run. My Civic is a fine car now with absolutely none of the unwanted sounds.

Finally, I decided not to spend a single penny on ICE. The stock ICE has USB and it is more than enough for my daily needs. I wanted to fit a double DIN HU for B/T compatibility and in-built navigation but shied away from it as that means I have to change the stock fascia in the dashboard.

I will utilize the saved money on some nice rims and tyres once the warranty period is over.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 15:19   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thirdly, even if you get your car ICE'd by a professional, some plastic panels do tend to rattle in the long run.
Which is why after market processors have an advantage. If the features of your OEM HU are adequate an after market processor does not cost that much more and retains the stock look and functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The moment you add a sub, your front/rear sound balance goes for a toss.
With Time Alignment this is not always the case. Rudra got the chance to listen to my Camry for a few minutes yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringStar View Post
They did exactly what i wanted. In fact, i had a detailed discussion with the senior installer there and he patiently listened to my expectation....They too installed the amp under the front-passenger seat now. No more inconvenience to rear passengers + the system is safe now.
True the quality of the installer is essential. One of the installs I remember most vividly was an install done by Gunbir in an SUV some 5 years ago. I don't remember if the SUV was a CRV or Fortuner but the neatness and stealth of the install was such that no one would have known that the car had a high end install. A good installer is a must.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With Time Alignment this is not always the case. Rudra got the chance to listen to my Camry for a few minutes yesterday.
Navin, My understanding is that TA will just take care of the direction/imaging. TA will at best make the bass sound like it it coming from the midbasses or elsewhere.

My experience has been that the sound tends to sound louder in the back than in the front, by virtue of the back seat passengers sitting closer to it. I doubt anything can be done about that?
Old 19th November 2013, 10:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Navin, My understanding is that TA will just take care of the direction/imaging. TA will at best make the bass sound like it it coming from the midbasses or elsewhere.

My experience has been that the sound tends to sound louder in the back than in the front, by virtue of the back seat passengers sitting closer to it. I doubt anything can be done about that?
I think you are highly mistaken around this, a well setup TA will make the sound from the sub invisible i.e. you would feel the sub blending/integrating well with your mids and you may not feel the overpowering of the sub which normally as you mention the rear passengers feel. Also working with TA one can also get the imaging pushed across to the front passengers and the rear wont feel that much base from the sub's. Please if possible do listen to a well setup TA system and you may change your views - dont just go with what I say
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:39   #74
BHPian

A good amp and speakers would definitely reduce the life of your battery by say a year or two , had seen it in my Corsa , but the sound quality was worth the recurring expense. Companies should allow customization to suit our ears , so that we get the best equipment factory fitted.
Old 26th November 2013, 04:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely put GTO, I totally agree to every point you have mentioned.
But somehow many people are not aware about warrenty issues.

The best suggestion is to have a nice pair of headphones/earphones if you are chauffeur driven.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 26th November 2013 at 04:39.

Most Viewed