Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Head-Unit's front panel damaged - Repair or replace?

Folks

I have a JVC system on my Thar. The front Panel had a bad drop, and the system is not working ever since. Can any of the gurus here point me to someone in Bangalore who can help troubleshoot and repair the front panel?

Any DIY checks i can do. I opened up the panel, and the PBC looks intact, no signs of cracks or loose components etc.

regards
Vishnu
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Head-Unit's front panel damaged - Repair or replace?

Isn't that appropriate that you contact JVC service center first to find out the issue?

Moreover, these panels are not generic, so hardly you would get advice in these areas. I would suggest, if you don't know anything about electronics then refrain opening panel yourself. You'll end up making problem more severe.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
... I have a JVC system on my Thar. The front Panel had a bad drop, and the system is not working ever since. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Isn't that appropriate that you contact JVC service center first to find out the issue? ...
Yes, it is better that you take the front panel to JVC service center in Bangalore. It is quite likely that the mounting of the PCB in the panel is disturbed, and hence the panel is not powering itself up.

According to JVC website, the JVC Service Center in Bangalore is at:
488, 5th "A" Main, 11th Cross, WOC II Stage,
Mahalakshmipuram, BANGALORE 560086
Phone: 2319 5539 / 3292 8265
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Folks
I opened up the panel, and the PBC looks intact, no signs of cracks or loose components etc.
This is not a user-serviceable component - as I am sure you would know by glancing through the manual. As others have said, it is good if you can take it to the Authorised Service Center.
Once in a while, I do try my luck for electronic devices that malfunction that may have been dropped while in Warranty. I do hope that you have not broken any seals/tapes when you opened up the unit, in case this HU was under Warranty.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

As others suggested service center is best option. I lost my alpine front panel and they (service) sourced a brand new piece at very reasonable cost.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:10   #6
BHPian

Thanks Guys. I did try calling the JVC service folks, but their response was very unwelcome / uninspiring. Went to Hi-tech Systems today, who promised to look into it this week, and get back, hopefully with a fix by weekend. will keep you guys posted.

HiTech is a Kenwood Distributor, who also does repairs on Car audio systems, and is supposed to be very reputed. 3 different car accessories shops directed me to them. They are in Koramangala.
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Your best bet is to get a new part from JVC or HiTech. HiTech is known to be pretty responsive but still it might take them some time to source this item.

Sadly they dont make stereos like they used to. In 1987 my Alpine 7385 head unit (it was a pull out type where the full head unit could be taken out and carried in a supplied bag) fell from a 1st floor window (about 20 feet) to a concrete floor. A small bit of plastic trim was chipped off but the Head Unit continued to work for many years after that.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks