Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 22:48   #16
BHPian

Re: ICE for the Mercedes W124

guess there are more option other than JBL and Pioneer. Why not get in touch with "Blueraven" AKA Satya(EVO), he should be able to give you some really useful advise.
Old 30th March 2014, 00:01   #17
BHPian

Quick update after a long time!

Due to some medical emergencies in the family, we've postponed selling off the Ritz (I was going to take out the sony 4 ch amp from the ritz and plonk it into the 124, and change the ritz for a grand i10/xcent which would come with a factory fitted sound system. Wouldn't have upgraded ICE on that right away).

As such, the amp will be put into the 124 at a later stage.

Until then, I have upgraded the rear fills to Infinity Primus PR6502 coaxs. They are sensitive (which is a good thing as I'm powering them from the HU for now), and definitely make a large difference to the sound. Not as bright as JBLs. Quite warm, actually. The only sore point is poor low frequencies, but that can be expected from a 6 inch coax. Can't match 6x9's or a small sub of course!

For the fronts - When I opened up the grilles on the dash, I found enclosures that were larger than 4" to my surprise. I believe they're a custom Mercedes size which is around 4 3/4". Needless to say, nothing except original rainbows designed for the 124 would go into those :(

Used a ring to accomodate 4 inchers as were done before. I finally pulled out the bostons which I wasn't fond of!

Auditioned JBL CS 4 and Blaupunkt GTX 402 coaxials. I expected the JBLs to be brighter and the Blaupunkts to have their signature laid back sound, but was in for a surprise!

The JBLs were lower on sensitivity and sounded a little laid back for a critical front installation where they were supposed to provide high frequencies and soundstange imaging. The Blaupunkts sounded more "in front", but not overly bright. They also take better to fullrange input and don't strain when the bass kicks in (under the limitations of a 4" cone ofc).

Went for the Blaupunkts.

Although the system sounds a lot more complete now, it does lack a little bass (which I am anyway okay with. Resigned to it since I decided to omit the sub and due to the fact that my car can't take 6x9s at the rear or 6" comps at the front).

What is weird is, with the same fullrange input from the HU, fader slightly to the rear, and a little EQ tuning, the fronts sound clearer than the rears! The rears are warmer and handle mid-bass better, but the frequencies don't seem to be seperated enough.

I'm assuming adding the amp will enable a clearer signal to the speakers and give me more clarity. It is a little muddy for my tastes of as now (if I sit in the rear).

I drive 90% of the time, especially in this car, and the fronts seem to give me pretty good imaging given the limited budget components and the size/installation limitations. I guess the placement of the fronts helps - the 124 directs them upwards towards the windshield, and reflection from the glass tends to provide a decent soundstage. I'm sure audiophiles will think I'm crazy, but it works for me!

The other issue with this car is that the rears are placed similarly - on the rear tray, facing upwards. Add to it the sheer length of the car, and you can never achieve wholesome sound everywhere. No matter how you tune the fader, the sound comes from one end. For example, if I'm sitting in the front, the sound is primarily from the front (which is good because it sounds natural and agrees with the soundstage). But the bass, which is anyway low, doesn't reach me well enough from the back. Push the fader to the rear and it sounds like there's nothing much in the front.

Same story when you sit in the rear. Overall sound is from the rear. Fading to the front just makes it get lost in space, and requires you to crank up the volume.

By far, this is the most difficult car I've ever tried to get decent sound in

Will keep posting as I add on. Next steps, when circumstances permit, is to add in the amp, HPF the fronts, and add a bluetooth adapter.
Old 1st August 2014, 17:47   #18
BHPian

Any luck with the sound system? Have to admit, that I am a ZERO when it comes to car audio, amps, etc. I'd take a decent HU and 4 speakers any day of the week.

As for trying to get the balance right, it is next to impossible. But that is how it is supposed to be in the W124. I suggest you start with the fader all the way for the rear, and bring it towards the front. Easiest way to get it right.

I still recommend that you listen to the Rainbows I have in the 300E. It is hard to believe that 4.25 inch speakers can give such great sound. I have a rubbish system in the E220 right now, and will slowly start to upgrade it, whenever I have enough cash. New HU is first, then Rainbows for the front and maybe some other speakers for the rear (which don't cost 20K a set ).
Old 24th August 2014, 21:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Not an Audiophile,but the current speakers in my 124 sound as if playing music through a cellphone.
Any recommendations that fit in stock slots without any jugaad.No budget for rainbow speakers for now.
Old 25th August 2014, 00:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not an Audiophile,but the current speakers in my 124 sound as if playing music through a cellphone.
Any recommendations that fit in stock slots without any jugaad.No budget for rainbow speakers for now.
Check out this thread on Benzworld.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...-opinions.html

Will definitely get Infinity for the rears, and put the JBL GTOs from the rear to the front and chuck out the current Xplods. Till I can get a set of Rainbows for the front, that is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks