Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2006, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Swift Speakers - Water Damage?

As described in this thread, I had a small problem with my car audio where it would cut out ocassionally, and then stopped working altogether.

The solution to that problem is described in the thread.

In another related issue, while the above problem was being solved, the audio guys noticed that there was water in the cable sleeve for the front left door speaker mount's electricals (provided by Maruti).

The problem was brought to the notice of the Indus service people, who came by my house and saw it for themselves. They said then that it was probably due to the pressure wash done at service time, but I do not understand how that can happen.

Now I notice that the left front speaker is producing severely limited sound, with a lot of background static (sound only, as far as I know).

Is it possible that the water in the cable sleeve has damaged the speaker?

If so, how do I go about getting the problem solved? It is highly unlikely that the audio guy will replace the speaker under warranty, if the problem is not prima facie related to the speaker itself. Nor is Indus likely to bear the onus, since the audio system is after-market and not MGA.

How should I approach this?

NPP
Old 4th July 2006, 22:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gets ur door panel opened up and check the speaker for a local ice installer to see weather there is any probelm in there . THere might be some problem with the rubber cable sleeve ..........
Old 4th July 2006, 23:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Where did u get the system in TVM?? And do u have it with B&W??

If u wanna get it checked by an ICE installer, lemme know. I know a few guys who do it pretty well here.

Cheers
Old 5th July 2006, 00:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Where did u get the system in TVM?? And do u have it with B&W??

If u wanna get it checked by an ICE installer, lemme know. I know a few guys who do it pretty well here.

Cheers
The system was bought from and installed at Rajeswary (forget exact name), Nedumangad. The shop is just next to the Treasury there.

Will let you know regarding system inspection. Thanks.

NPP
Old 5th July 2006, 19:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Gets ur door panel opened up and check the speaker for a local ice installer to see weather there is any probelm in there . THere might be some problem with the rubber cable sleeve ..........
Well, well, well.

I had the audio system guy over to look at the issue. When he removd the door panel we could clearly see that water had entered the door's internal cavity through the outside beading near the ORVM (Left).

There were also copious amounts of water in the sleeve of the electricals leading to the door speaker, which are provided by Maruti.

I then called my Service Advisor from Indus, and they came over and had a look at the problem.

They have taken the car away to see what can be done about the issue, and promised to get the car back to me by this evening.

I have now received a call from my Service Advisor to tell me that they cannot deliver the car this evening, and that they will do so tomorrow.

Some of you may remember a thread wherein I had mentioned that I was getting a burning smell sometimes after the car had been driven for a moderate distance. This problem has been persisting even though the car has now covered over 2000 KM, and the mileage in city is alarmingly low. Added to that is that I cannot get a feel for the clutch at all - it responds totally differently to each use.

So since Indus can only deliver the car tomorrow, I have asked them to look into this issue as well. I am also going to send in a mail to Mauti regarding the clutch tonight.

However, I must commend Indus on the service they offer. They have shown no hesitation in visiting me to check up on the problems mentioned here, and the service guy was here (at my office) less than 30 minutes after I initially called in the problem.

What say, guys? Shall I take these issues to Maruti (beard the lion in his den, so to speak)?

NPP
Old 5th July 2006, 19:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp

Some of you may remember a thread wherein I had mentioned that I was getting a burning smell sometimes after the car had been driven for a moderate distance. This problem has been persisting even though the car has now covered over 2000 KM, and the mileage in city is alarmingly low. Added to that is that I cannot get a feel for the clutch at all - it responds totally differently to each use.

NPP

another one going to happen - pls go to link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/231227-post14.html
Old 5th July 2006, 21:17   #7
BHPian

I suspect the water in the sleeve inside the door panel is in there because of careless handling during the pressure wash done during servicing.

It is common practice for these guys to open the door and direct the jet of water along the inner edges of the door that are normally sealed by the rubber beading when the door is closed.
Old 6th July 2006, 11:23   #8
BHPian

Update:

Got a call from Indus this morning. They say they have consulted Maruti on the issue of the speakers getting wet, and that Maruti specifically recommends the use of low-profile speakers in the door mounts, as that is the only way to avoid wetting from the small amounts of water that will normally enter the door body through the window beading gaps, especially in heavy rain.

In fact the Indus guy tells me that Maruti specifically recommends Sony's Xplod speakers for use in the Swift as they are low-profile and will not get wet in this manner.

Anyway, they have covered over the speaker mounts with plastic on the inside of the door cavity, as a temporary solution but strongly suggest that I migrate to Sony speakers.

Any advice?

NPP
Old 6th July 2006, 11:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp
Anyway, they have covered over the speaker mounts with plastic on the inside of the door cavity, as a temporary solution but strongly suggest that I migrate to Sony speakers.
Let me guess... Indus has a Sony Xplode counter in their accessories section.

Ok Im assuming your speaker is physically damaged. Have you seen it? Friend, you can use any decent speaker in your door. Most decent car speakers have treated cones that can reasonably brave the elements. You can say they're splash proof.

Profile has nothing to do with this. It appears your door may be retaining water. Meaning its collecting inside the door. Which means there is a problem with the drainage design of the Swifts doors. I say this as I've heard other Swift owners complain of the same thing.
Old 6th July 2006, 11:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Man there are two holes given at the bottom of the door u must check it out for any clog there. I am have a swift till now no problem of water retention till now........
Old 6th July 2006, 13:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Let me guess... Indus has a Sony Xplode counter in their accessories section.
How did you guess??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Ok Im assuming your speaker is physically damaged.
I inspected the speaker, but could not make out any physical damage as such. All I know was that there was water actually accumulated in the speaker body, to the tune of about 50-60 ml.

There is no drainage problem as such, as no water is collecting in the door pan. What is happening is that water is flowing into the door body through beading gaps at the windows, and also into the speaker area through the cable sleeve for the speakers electricals.

NPP
Old 6th October 2007, 09:35   #12
BHPian

guru's din't wanted to open a new thread so reopening this thread again.

my car's (santro) back windshield glass got broken few days back. i had parked the car outside and put a cover the day before i took it to service center. the same day it rained heavily and water had entered the back speakers which was in the back panel. the panel had got bend because of the rain. i got the panel changed.

Now about the speakers.. when the volume is low the back speakers works fine.. but when the volume level goes above 10 i hear a buzzzzzzz sound from it.

what should i do to ??? help...
Old 6th October 2007, 10:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I am have a swift till now no problem of water retention till now........
LBM you sure have a way with words. "Water Retention" is rarely used in this context. Sam and B&T will explain further. I am too busy laughing.
Old 6th October 2007, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM you sure have a way with words. "Water Retention" is rarely used in this context. Sam and B&T will explain further. I am too busy laughing.
Not that we would explain anything further owing to our personal experience. Both of us don't even retain our gametes for too very long.
Old 6th October 2007, 12:23   #15
BHPian

Unfortunately, Maruti has formed a unholy nexus with Sony. Ideally I would have liked to get my ICE from them itself at the time I bought my Estilo, but I would rather run the risk of me having to sue the living sh*t out of them later (such as in the case of a problem like this), than bear Sony in my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks