Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 13:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mobius Action / Dash Cam - An extended review

I recently posted my SJ1000 camera review : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produ...ed-review.html

The SJ1000 is an amazing camera, except one caveat. The dashcam mount. The mount is flimsy, and you need to re-tighten it, and also sometimes use some jugaad to make it stable.

While searching for a backup camera, I came across the mobius. The mobius is an offshoot of the famour #16 #808 keychain lightweight cameras. Its designed to be mounted on RC planes. So its extremely lightweight.

Sometimes even few grams is not good enough, so the camera is hackable. you can easily dismantle it, and then put it on your plane without the cover for even more lighter weight.

Due to the RC community, there are frequent firmware updates also in this camera. So I decided to take a plunge, and buy this camera.

I went for the wide angle dashcam kit : http://buymobius.com/collections/mob...it-for-car-dvr. Cost me around 85$. Prices have increased now though!

First and formost, I must say that the mount is rock solid. Here is a comparison video with unhacked Sj1000 mount. By inserting paper I can make the SJ1000 more stable though, but only little more. The mobius mount inherently is more stable.

Video comparison

The above video has degraded quality due to post processing and compression artifacts. So look at the normal videos : Please select 1080P or 720P in youtube settings

Day :

The best feature of this camera is night visibility

The advantages of mobius

1. Excellent community support with software and firmware updates
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559
2. You can flip video in settings, so no post processing required unlike SJ1000 which does not have video flip option(maybe new firmware has it, I dunno)
3. Uses Mini USB instead of micro USB - more durable
4. Easy to dismantle.
5. Amazing image and video quality
6. Advanced functions like time lapse possible
For example, see this

7. Comes with lens covers for storing safely
8. Extremely small - Can be hidden
9. All kinds of hacks and accessories available. For example, a lens with cable. So you can hide your camera somewhere and then just have the lens stuck to your RVM
10. Can use 64GB cards too!

Disadvantages
Now every cam has disadvantages, so does mobius
1. No screen. So all settings must be done by connecting camera to computer
2. you can connect camera to smartphone, and edit text file. Sadly the app is not available for India. Developer has some weird issues of supporting his app in India.
3. Many sellers do not ship to India from ebay.com
4. Waterproof mount rare to find. A UK company sells one for 20 pounds though
5. LED indicators hard to see if you put the camera in a hard to see place.
6. Can tend to overexpose. Good for night, but day footage may appear washed out

Other FAQ
1. Is it a dashcam?
Yes. Does loop recording just like a dascham. Auto start stop also available
2. Battery life?
About an hour of recording
3. Spare batteries?
Yes, you can even use supercapacitors(available on ebay) if you are going to use it in car as dashcam. But then you have 10 seconds of backup. Not a problem in the car though
4. tough
Yes, pretty tough. But SJ1000 is metal front. Nothing can beat that

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2014 at 17:08. Reason: Adding spacing between headers
tsk1979 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 19:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Mobius Action / Dash Cam - An extended review

Between the two, which would be your choice for a dash cam. I want to Set it, Connect it, Forget it and then take out the memory card to transfer the images/videos. Wouldn't want to keep making adjustments to the camera settings all the time.
Old 18th April 2014, 22:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Between the two, which would be your choice for a dash cam. I want to Set it, Connect it, Forget it and then take out the memory card to transfer the images/videos. Wouldn't want to keep making adjustments to the camera settings all the time.
If your primary use is dashcam, then mobius it is hands down. Just set it once and be done with it.
But if your primary use is actioncam, which means stuff like waterproof case and a zillion mounts becomes important. In that case its SJ1000

Or rather the replacement SJ4000. SJ-4000 is a worthy successor to SJ1000 and has better mounts at a slightly higher price though.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 10:08   #4
BHPian

Need it for a dash cam only. Got a GoPro for everything else.
I wish dx.com had the Mobius. Got to search for a good seller now.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 13:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Need it for a dash cam only. Got a GoPro for everything else.
I wish dx.com had the Mobius. Got to search for a good seller now.
If you have a higher budget go for a DoD 150-200$ unit if you want only dashcam. Those have screen too and much easier to use and stuff.
That said, mobius image quality will be as good, if not better.

If lack of screen does not bother you, try scouring ebay.
Some sellers sell mobius wide angle. Then you can buy a simple 1A car charger and long cable from local India sellers.
Car mount can be bought from the same seller you bought mobius.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 08:54   #6
BHPian

This is a brilliant review of the dash cam. I have been looking for a dash cam for some time now, gone through so many reviews online and even visited few shops in SP Road here in Bangalore but nothing impressive. After your SJ1000 review I had shortlisted SJ1000 and SJ4000. Now you made my job more difficult, not that I am complaining . I have almost made up my mind for Mobius now. Dual window video you posted comparing SJ-1000 and Mobius sealed the deal for me. Looking at some other 1080p wide angle videos online taken by this cam, this seems to be a tiny little gem. Ebay India is listing Mobius from 8K to 11K depending upon accessories and memory you choose. Not having a screen is real downer at this price but looking at the size of this cam we can't expect everything, can we? SJ series have advantage of being water proof but my primary use is dash cam, so that does not matter. Thank you again for sharing this.

Lastly, I have to comment on Manali-Leh snow drive video. Discounting the risk you have taken, scenery is stuff people (me included) can only dream about, SIMPLY BREATHTAKING.
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 11:09   #7
BHPian

I use the DOD LS300W and find the quality to be good.

/Sid
Old 24th April 2014, 10:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
I use the DOD LS300W and find the quality to be good.

/Sid
Of course. If it wasn't then nobody would pay 200$ for DOD cams. DoD makes one of the best dashcams out there, and these are "designed" to be dashcams and nothing more.
SJ1000 and mobius are more for people who want to do other stuff also.Eg. mount it on their bike helmet, or take underwater(with a case of course)
Old 25th April 2014, 11:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you have a higher budget go for a DoD 150-200$ unit if you want only dashcam. Those have screen too and much easier to use and stuff.
That said, mobius image quality will be as good, if not better.
I was referring to the post above. For me, if the license plates in the capture of a dash cam is ineligible, I don't see a need to go for one. My intention of a dash cam is to protect myself in events where it might be necessary to capture the details of the other vehicle. I saw the video grabs for many dash cam devices, including Mobius, but the quality of each left much to be desired. Apologies if I am not correct here and I do agree, DOD is purely a dash cam. Anyways, that's purely my personal view.
Old 25th April 2014, 12:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
I was referring to the post above. For me, if the license plates in the capture of a dash cam is ineligible, I don't see a need to go for one. My intention of a dash cam is to protect myself in events where it might be necessary to capture the details of the other vehicle. I saw the video grabs for many dash cam devices, including Mobius, but the quality of each left much to be desired. Apologies if I am not correct here and I do agree, DOD is purely a dash cam. Anyways, that's purely my personal view.
If you look at my mobius video in "high DEF" esp the night video you can see the license plates. Select 1080P from youtube and watch in high def
DoD high end cams will also easily record license plates, no issues.
Old 27th April 2015, 12:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

I saw a few people complaining about overheating. In the mobius its easily solvable as the heatsink is exposed.
So all you need is a small heatsink(the kind used in processors) and thermal paste.
If you can't find one just buy this
50pcs cost 4$!!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...772600124.html

A sample image
Mobius Action / Dash Cam - An extended review-hwixthl.jpg
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks