Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 17:16   #1
BHPian

Clarion AX1: Android-based Head-Unit launched @ Rs. 56,000

Clarion has launched Android Operating System powered car stereo AX1 in India at a price of Rs. 55,990

AX1 is compatible with smartphones and features Wi-Fi connectivity to access Internet on the go.

Features:
  • Android 2.3.7 Operating System, optimized for automotive
  • 800MHz, 1GB RAM, Full automotive processor
  • 6.5 inch WVGA TFT LCD display
  • Automotive Grade Capacitive Multi Touch Panel
  • WiFi access point and Client/Portable Hotspot to enable Internet connectivity for web browsing on-the-go
  • Built-in bluetooth handsfree
  • iPod and iPhone audio/video playback and charging
  • USB (2x), external SD card
  • Automotive grade car head unit – able to withstand high/low temperatures and vibrations
  • Specially designed user interface to ensure safety while driving – 3 home pages and 6 large, easy to navigate application icons
  • Built-in navigation voice guidance
  • 6-channel RCA output
  • Automatic illumination that adjusts to the time of day
  • Built-in 25Wx4ch Digital Amplifier
  • Internal and external microphone support
  • Image viewer (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, BMP)
  • 1080P full HD playback, HDMI video output
  • Rear Camera input

As Android is a stable OS, can we can expect AX1 to be more stable and niggle-free car stereo?

Clarion AX1: Android-based Head-Unit launched @ Rs. 56,000-clarionax1.png

Features & Image Source

Note: Mods, I didn't find any Clarion AX1 information thread on Team-BHP, incase the similar thread exist then please merge this post with that.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 08:28   #2
BHPian

re: Clarion AX1: Android-based Head-Unit launched @ Rs. 56,000

Its not a new product, its in the market for quite sometime. I have seen it in person and I would say its disappointing, except its the first full android unit in the market. I could compare it only to the normal android 2.3 based chinese units, the difference is that it has the Telephony, GPS and radio running in android itself and had capacitive screen unlike the chinese units where they use wince, some chinese units come with capacitive screen also. But they have not given any effort to make a good HMI for an automobile environment, it looks like plain android. Sound quality is not better than the chinese units and no automotive related apps, I doubt how many modern apps can run in that (unless they are created for supporting earlier versions). Moreover the facia looks cheap chinese due to the piano black finish frame and the full glass overlay (very difficult to see the screen in daytime due to the glare from the glass overlay)

I would say, inspite of having an 800MHz proc / 1GB ram (enough for the normal automotive apps), if it has a good HMI it would have been good (very difficult in android 2.3 compared to the latest versions as they have to code for each and everything to make it modern). Another bottleneck is the audio quality which is disappointing for a 55K unit.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 17th October 2014 at 08:44.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 10:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Its not a new product, its in the market for quite sometime.
As per media report (Indian Express), AX1 is launched recently by Clarion in India. Earlier sales might have been via grey channel/non-official import.

The official price tag is Rs.55990, do you have any idea at what actual cost it was/is available in market?

Quote:
I doubt how many modern apps can run in that (unless they are created for supporting earlier versions).
True, as Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread, 2011) is very old version on which AX1 is running.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 10:46   #4
BHPian

I saw the unit from the distributor\dealer (which he had kept as a display piece) during an installation in a Range Rover in June/July (I believe it was launched in Sep2013 in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and India for online sales.). If I remember correctly, it was somewhere ~53-55K. This is a rebranded Clarion Mirage which was coming as OEM in many cars before.

http://vernonchan.com/2013/09/clario...r-sale-online/

Moreover, if I remember correctly, the default music player was not playing any FLAC files from my flash drive and HDD, but it can be rectified by installing another compatible app. Didnt try any 1080p videos, but it should be fine with a 800MHz.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 17th October 2014 at 11:07.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 21:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Clarion AX1: Android-based Head-Unit launched @ Rs. 56,000

Gosh, that is pricey.

Honestly, I think it's just a matter of time before smartphones take over ICE. Just as they've replaced MP3 players, GPS navigation devices & alarm clocks, smartphones will definitely become the 'head-units' of tomorrow. Think about it, I always have my smartphone on me and it can do most things a head-unit can (in terms of software). SD cards have become so cheap that I carry my entire 50 GB music collection on me all the time.

A basic head-unit with a smartphone dock will kill these overpriced 50K head-units. Once my smartphone is placed in the dock on the dashboard, it will play music, work as a navigation device and also be charged while docked. With 3G, you can log onto any internet radio you wish.

Something like the Devium Dash, but cheaper & better looking:
Clarion AX1: Android-based Head-Unit launched @ Rs. 56,000-devium.png
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 21:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gosh, that is pricey.

Honestly, I think it's just a matter of time before smartphones take over ICE. Attachment 1300030
Yes - that is definetly the trend. Apple as launched CarPlay and Sony has a cradle dock to connect smartphone to the Car. it is somewhat affordable @ 13K.

- Datsun Go (and hopefully Go+) already offers no HU, but an Aux port to connect our smatphones.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 15:43   #7
BHPian

This is NOT "Android Auto". Right?
Old 24th October 2014, 16:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
This is NOT "Android Auto". Right?
No, AX1 runs on stone age Android 2.3.7 OS (Gingerbread, 2011), whereas Android Auto runs on Android OS version L (5.0) or later.

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 24th October 2014 at 16:49.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
No, AX1 runs on stone age Android 2.3.7 OS (Gingerbread, 2011), whereas Android Auto runs on Android OS version L (5.0) or later.
Thanks Saurabh. Desperately waiting for an Android Auto console to replace the stock music system on my XUV. Guess I will have to wait for some more time. :(
Old 27th April 2015, 09:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

I Recently Purchased This unit and I having troubling logging in igo navigation.

It keeps on asking for some igo memory card. I have downloaded here maps but no success so far. Can Someone please guide how to get it working. I have searched all over the net and I haven't found a solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks