Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 22:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Clarion in my Accord: Repair or replace?

I recently bought a 2003 Accord 2.3 MT. It has a Clarion branded music system as stock. It has radio, CD and cassette player.

The CD player does not work. It may take some cleaning. I have yet to try the cassette player, but it might not be working too.

Since this is the stock OE system and is in-dash, would it be possible to get it repaired or serviced at an independent shop?

In case the unit has conked off or I need to replace it, what are the best choices for the following requirements?

Must have:
FM
MP3

Recommended:
Rotary volume controls
Ease of operation (as in push to start and push to stop, instead of a long press to stop)
Bluetooth with phone integration

Nice to have:
Navigation unit
Reverse camera

I usually listen to old Bollywood songs, Marathi songs, sometimes ghazals, and do listen to news and other radio programmes.

Last edited by honeybee : 24th November 2014 at 22:54.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Clarion in my Accord: Repair or replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have yet to try the cassette player, but it might not be working too.
Even if you repair it, where are you going to find cassettes to play

Wouldn't recommend repairing it as:

1. It's throwing good money after bad. What if it conks off again? How many times are you going to repair it? With 11 years under the belt, the player has reached its end of life.

2. Impossible to think of ICE without Bluetooth, USB etc. these days. Would suggest buying a Pioneer / similar head-unit for cheap. Plenty of VFM options out there.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 16:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Recommended:
Rotary volume controls
Nice to have:
Navigation unit
Reverse camera ...
I agree with @GTO's assessment.

Kenwood DNX535VBT would be the best fit for you. Has every thing you want, and then some. Would cost ~40K I think.

There are others in the same price bracket - Kenwood DNN9350BT, Pioneer AVIC F60BT, Alpine INE-W957E etc. - BUT they don't have a rotary volume control. Whether the touchscreen-only controls works for you or not, you have to take an audition of the set and try out to check your comfort factor.

A good dealer may throw in the rear view camera and installation also in the price. If you are thinking of ordering on-line, first check street prices and audition at dealers.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 17:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

It was a double din in that Accord if I remember correctly. There is a Pioneer double din which isn't too expensive that should fit the bill.

Just searched for it -
http://pioneer-india.in/shop/fh-x779bt/

For navigation and reverse camera you will need to spend at least 30k whereas this is yours for 10k.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 17:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have plenty of cassettes lying around so sourcing them isn't the issue. Also in our Ikon we only have a radio and cassette player and after the initial servicing it's been working smooth.

If I were to get it serviced is it a good idea to go to an independent shop? These should be way cheaper and worth trying to keep going for a few more months.

For a new unit, 40k would be a bit more than my budget. I would like to get it serviced and use it for a few months and then look at upgrading it. The other option would be to go for something cheap. The speakers are acceptable for now and I am not a serious audioholic, to be honest.

Rotary controls or single click controls with bigger than average buttons would be helpful as it is distracting to fiddle around with small buttons and long presses.

The unit recommended by Akshay seems to be good from the photos. Is there any good shop in Thane or worst case Mumbai where I could see the units and get a good fitment done?
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Update: Finally got the unit out for servicing/repair. Will know its fate by tomorrow.

After removing the centre panel and the two din music system out, the turn signals are not working. I did ask the repair wallah to spray some WD40 into the holders behind the centre panel to see if it will light up the panel - currently some of the lights seem to be dysfunctional.

Didn't know turn signals were linked to anything in the centre panel.
Old 26th December 2014, 13:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... After removing the centre panel and the two din music system out, the turn signals are not working. ...
Didn't know turn signals were linked to anything in the centre panel.
No, this looks like some harness connector got disturbed. Spraying WD40 will not help. There are quite a few harness connectors behind the dash, and in removing the HU one of them must have come loose. Ask someone to diligently check and recouple the connectors one by one.
Old 26th December 2014, 14:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmm ok. Have dropped the car at Linkway Honda, Kanjur for general checkup. Will have them look into it.
Old 1st January 2015, 17:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

The lens in the CD player is gone, no replacement found. Am going to use it to play cassettes for a while till it drops dead.

Touchscreen with bluetooth and reverse camera is costing around 17 to 18k, while without touch screen it's a few thousands cheaper. Will wait for a while to decide on the replacement.
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The lens in the CD player is gone, no replacement found. Am going to use it to play cassettes for a while till it drops dead.

Touchscreen with bluetooth and reverse camera is costing around 17 to 18k, while without touch screen it's a few thousands cheaper. Will wait for a while to decide on the replacement.
I have seen some local mechanics fixing a USB slot to anything that has an amp inside...like a cassette player, CD player, computer speaker systems and even dedicated amps. This enables one to play MP3 from flash drives. You may consider to get fitted one of those to your existing HU. CD is anyways outdated, hence getting a USB solution will go long way.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd January 2015 at 10:34. Reason: typo
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Right now I have left it as is. The options are:
1. Replace it with a new unit - cost and no buyback price are a deterrent, as also the ability to play cassettes. Funnily a cassette player would usually pay longer than a CD player.
2. Add a USB and Aux in - am not sure how the ports will be exposed
3. Get a cassette adapter to play CDs and other stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks