Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2006, 21:09   #1
BHPian

Can anyone tell me what amp this is?

A friend of mine found this at her place.. don't ask me how, all I care about is what it is, if it's any good, can i put it in my car?

:

Well?

- Aalaap
Old 20th August 2006, 21:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

No Idea... Why dont you hook it up in your friends car first?? ...that way if something blows....
Old 20th August 2006, 21:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

there is a white fuse holder along the amp in the lower right of the pic that is normal glass fuse holder so the width of the amp would be nearly 200mm or 8 inches and the specs mention on the amp are 100 X 4 max power this cannot be possible with amp so small ....so I think the amp is a just anothe brother of v12 series amp ,but just the small brother tho......and there are sticker on all the corners of the amp of UV meters like we see on the premium McIntosh........lol

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 20th August 2006 at 21:21.
Old 20th August 2006, 21:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
there is a white fuse holder along the amp in the lower right of the pic that is normal glass fuse holder so the width of the amp would be nearly 200mm or 8 inches and the specs mention on the amp are 100 X 4 max power this cannot be possible with amp so small ....so I think the amp is a just anothe brother of v12 series amp ,but just the small brother tho......and there are sticker on all the corners of the amp of UV meters like we see on the premium McIntosh........lol
It says 100w max, so I guess they are claiming a cont output of 50w per channel. Though I would doubt even that...

Also, LBM, its VU meter, not UV meter.
Old 20th August 2006, 22:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

thanks phaji for correcting me it is VU meter not UV (ultravoilet) but what is the full form of VU anyways (visual XXXX)

Old 20th August 2006, 22:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
thanks phaji for correcting me it is VU meter not UV (ultravoilet) but what is the full form of VU anyways (visual XXXX)
I think VU = Volume Unit
Old 21st August 2006, 00:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

navin ji is it volume unit only or any thing else.....
Old 21st August 2006, 00:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Edit...

VU meter
A voltmeter with a specific transient response, calibrated in VUs (volume units). A VU meter is used to display the relative volume of various audio signals, and to set the optimum recording level.

Taken from, http://www.guitar9.com/glossarytuv.html

Last edited by autopsyche : 21st August 2006 at 01:00.
Old 21st August 2006, 01:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think it is voice unit .....lets wait for navin ji to put a final word to that....

volume unit
voice unit
Old 21st August 2006, 01:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Old 21st August 2006, 11:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

a VU meter displays the average volume of an audio signal. meters can either display peak or average levels (some are capabale of doing both). For a steady state sine wave tone, the difference between the average level (VU) and the peak level (PPM) is about 3 dB; but for a complex audio signal the difference between the average level and the peak level can be 10-12db.

The VU meter closely corresponds to the level sensing mechanism of the human ear. In practice, a VU meter will under-indicate the peak signal level by 8 to 20 dB.

BTW, Sam, I think the 300ms stalblisation is for a 1kHz sine wave. Dont ask me how I know. Some of this information got into my head too long ago to know when.

In the old days of cassette and MOL distortion etc... we used to use VU and Peak level metering a lot today I only see this being used in studio work.
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:20   #12
BHPian

Poor aalaap found an old amp and wants to know if it still works. and suddenly his thread starts looking like an issue of New Scientist!

I'd assume that almost any half decent amplifier is gonna make any half decent speaker sound better than it would with no amp at all, so take that thing down to your local installer to see if it works, and if it does then why not use it (of course that depends on your current config).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks