Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 02:31   #1
BANNED

Buy ICE in the US or Bangalore?

My folks in Bangalore recently got the new WagonR, and I was thinking of ordering a CD player online (in the US), or picking up something thats on sale at a local store(in San Diego). My requirements are pretty basic. Plays MP3/WMA CDs, and has a detachable face plate. (Almost everything I have seen has these 2 features. I think I can get well known brands for under $100 (~Rs 4500) (Pioneer, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Sony etc)

For such a barebones system, what makes more sense?
1. Buy both Stereo & speakers in Bangalore and get it installed.
2. Buy only the Stereo for $90 in the US, buy speakers in Bangalore before installation.
3. Buy both Stereo and Speakers in US, and only pay for installation in Bangalore. Are there going to be any major incompatabilities with WagonR that I should be aware of?

Comments appreciated.
-Prasadee
Old 29th August 2006, 08:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

somone's visiting you frm US? HU are cheaper there and even some speakers. Unless you want soem exotic things, get from bangy. Atleast you knw whos neck to catch when somethings goes kaput.
Old 29th August 2006, 09:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

If at all I'd get the HUs from there just ake sure they can catch European radio frequencies if you listen to radio that is.

Most cars have 12V batteries and 1 DIN or 2 DIN cavities so as long as you get a 1 DIN HU there should be few incompatibilites.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Buy both Stereo & speakers in Bangalore and get it installed.

that makes a lot of sense. trust me, it is not worth buying from US, if it is such a barebone system. can get it with B&W here, so your folks dont have to run around if something goes wrong
Old 29th August 2006, 15:45   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

that makes a lot of sense. trust me, it is not worth buying from US, if it is such a barebone system. can get it with B&W here, so your folks dont have to run around if something goes wrong
X10 times. If it was some exotic stuff you were looking for, then it's worth buying from US. For your requirement, US will be just a snob value and nothing more!
Old 29th August 2006, 18:45   #6
NIP
Senior - BHPian

USA HU Radios dont work here...beware !! and for all the trouble of picking up the HU there...u're gonna save Rs.500 ! and with the HU in your baggage...and all the security happening at airports...u'll probably get arrested !!
Old 29th August 2006, 19:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
and for all the trouble of picking up the HU there...u're gonna save Rs.500 .....u'll probably get arrested !!
Exactly... not worth all the hassles to save a few hundred rupees.

Also if you pick up your entire requirements from an installer, you can expect a nominal discount. If you walk in with you own stuff he is going to charge you excess for wires/install etc.
Old 29th August 2006, 23:30   #8
BANNED

Are the prices at Indiatimes shopping realistic? A bare bones HU like this
http://shopping.indiatimes.com/ism/f...&k10=&k11=&k12=

& a model with similar features is in the same price range in the US.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=15892
Thanks for your comments. You guys are right, it does not, make sense to go through all the trouble, and end up spending more money.
-Prasadee

Last edited by prasadee : 29th August 2006 at 23:33.
Old 29th August 2006, 23:44   #9
BHPian

gET IT FROM B'LORE....less hassles for ur folks if anything goes bad !!
Old 30th August 2006, 16:35   #10
BHPian

Hey Prasadee,
If you're finicky of buying stuff with propah bill n warranty and want to use it in India only then the only option is buying all stuff from India(whatever be the cost).
However if you're looking for better models at lesser prices (and dont care too much about B&W) then sourcing from US atleast for the HU is a good option.
Some websites have offers and deals which make the more expensive HU's an attractive buy...But the catch here is to buy from websites which give you the manufacturers warranty (US warranty) so that you are assured of a genuine product...These days most known HU manufacturers have there service centers in India ,so in case need arises you can get the required support (but for a price).
Speakers can also be bought overseas but it is advisable to buy it here so that u have the option of judging which go best with your HU.
I am doing the same..HU has been sourced from US and will buy the speakers here...You have the option of getting good speakers like hertz, jbl, alpine right here in Delhi at a good price too.
Old 31st August 2006, 04:16   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
If at all I'd get the HUs from there just ake sure they can catch European radio frequencies if you listen to radio that is.
I did find a fancy Panasonic CD/MP3 player with flashing motorized color screen on sale for less than $100. But, there seems to be differences in radio broadcasting frequencies, that could be a problem if I end up getting a stereo from here.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/r...fferences.html
-Prasadee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks