Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2006, 03:11   #1
BHPian

components help reqd...

hey
am quite a n00b in the ICE dept. help reqd. pls.
i have 6.5" JBL comps fitted in the front door of my Palio. they are routed through the HU instead of the amp which I would have preferred.
the installer scared me off saying it would require heavy tampering with the wiring that came from FIAT. one even said that since these come with their mini-amp (read: x-over) they cant be routed through the amplifier. i doubt it.

also if i switch off the sub, i can just listen to distorted sound from the comps. this was not the way it was meant to be. i got these comps installed after hearing a lot about them from ppl here at t-bhp. and so far i have been left unimpressed. please can anyone help me out?
Old 2nd September 2006, 08:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

RUN AWAY from that installer!!... Thats the first thing you do!! ... The second?.... go find yourself another good knowlegdgable one!!
Old 2nd September 2006, 09:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma
hey
the installer scared me off saying it would require heavy tampering with the wiring that came from FIAT. one even said that since these come with their mini-amp (read: x-over) they cant be routed through the amplifier. i doubt it.
amit,
= This is what you need to do to the installer , He is a total Idiot and I have never heard anything more ridiculous than this.
Old 2nd September 2006, 10:50   #4
BHPian

Hey amit, i too have a JBL 6.5'" comp in front. If you are not using a amp along with it, its a disrepect to your speakers.

Comps run best when connected to a amp. My components are connected to my JBL 75.4 amp. The small thing (circuit) that come along with your comp is the crossover, that just used to filter the mid freq to the speaker and high freq to your tweeter. The are not ment to amplify the sound. And not connecting your components to amp will anytime give you distorted sound.

Just a word of advice.. go to some better installer, who understands the meaning of a component speakers and knows the installation.

Best of luck.
Old 2nd September 2006, 13:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
hey
i have 6.5" JBL comps fitted in the front door of my Palio. they are routed through the HU instead of the amp which I would have preferred.

also if i switch off the sub, i can just listen to distorted sound from the comps. this was not the way it was meant to be. i got these comps installed after hearing a lot about them from ppl here at t-bhp. and so far i have been left unimpressed. please can anyone help me out?
ams sure u have got the answer I have a off topic question how much did u paid for components?
Old 2nd September 2006, 16:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
ams sure u have got the answer I have a off topic question how much did u paid for components?
Judging by the situation, I don tthink your question is off-topic !! The 'installer' probably gipped him on the sale of the comps too.. unless of course he got it with B&W.

@AmitVerma : like everyone has pointed out, the comps need some juice from the amp to provide the desired listening experience.

Do list out your entire ICE setup (hu/front/rear/amp/sub) etc...and then you will be able to get optimal configuration of your setup
Old 2nd September 2006, 23:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey

this, coming from the land of gunbir, is unacceptable. pm gunbir right away & pay him a visit, man.
Old 3rd September 2006, 03:00   #8
BHPian

HU: Pioneer 5650 powering the front components alongwith rear Xplod 6x9s.
JBL 60.4 amp powering Pio 360DVC.
am worried giving the JBL amp a pair of comps to handle might be asking for too much from it? is it so?
Old 3rd September 2006, 09:01   #9
BANNED

Quote:
HU: Pioneer 5650 powering the front components alongwith rear Xplod 6x9s.
JBL 60.4 amp powering Pio 360DVC.
am worried giving the JBL amp a pair of comps to handle might be asking for too much from it? is it so?
First, knock the installer's capacitors off! You know where it's installed right? in the middle!!! It should be easy to spot and concentrate on the mids while you do it! If he cant still find sense then hang a subwoofer on him! (no matter if it is DVC or SVC).

JBL 60.4 amp can power the components. Only thing affected will be your Sub. As most probably, the amp will be powering the DVC sub in 2+2 channel mode. So, the 2 channels will be moved to the components and the Sub will be getting less juice from the amp.
Old 3rd September 2006, 13:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
First, knock the installer's capacitors off! You know where it's installed right? in the middle!!! It should be easy to spot and concentrate on the mids while you do it! If he cant still find sense then hang a subwoofer on him! (no matter if it is DVC or SVC).
While your at it......... remove the sony 6x9's and tie it to the installers head and BLOW!!

But seriously, you have a nice setup, only thing those sony's are a weak spot in the config. Try and change that sometime if you have the time, money or inclination.

Good luck.
Old 3rd September 2006, 13:40   #11
BHPian

i do reckon that the xplods are the weak link but was a little out of budget for new 6x9s. anyways, which 6x9s would u recommend?
Old 3rd September 2006, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

First get your current issue sorted out... upgrade later if YOU FEEL THE NEED hehe.

6x9" not required... you could use 6" co-axials and this would be enough, since you have good front fill and also a sub. Expect to pay 3 - 4k for 6x9's.

JBL 937 costs approx. 3.8k.

Last edited by s0uljah : 3rd September 2006 at 14:15.
Old 3rd September 2006, 16:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah

ARe these with B&W that you talking about. In Mumbai the JBL GTO 937's can be had for 4.9k and with some discount its comes upto 4.5k but 3.8k????????
Old 3rd September 2006, 20:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Expect to pay 3 - 4k for 6x9's.

Typo. Sorry ! I meant 4.8k, but sam would be th eone to confirm that !!
Old 3rd September 2006, 21:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And not connecting your components to amp will anytime give you distorted sound.
I do not think this is true!
As long as HU is able to provide power in the range of Power range of components, it should work fine. Though it,s capabilities may not be completely utilized.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks