Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 12:20   #1
BHPian

There are some days when you plan to do something and you end up doing lot more than you could think off.

Yesterday was one such 'golden' day for me.

I have a Hyundai i10 Kappa 2009 and when I bought the car, it had a very basic ICE setup - two front SONY co-axials and two parcel-tray mounted JBL 6X9 speakers with JVC HU.
Though for the past years it was working fine, but the entire wiring was shoddily done, specially on the parcel tray, so each time, I loaded any bag into the boot, the connections would come off.
Along with that, one of the JBLs would repeatedly crack and ofcourse was not a pleasant experience.
I had stopped myself from doing anything with the setup as had other priorities but yesterday finally planned to get the wiring done correctly.
So I went to S&S Inc in Kolkata and showed them the problem. They suggested how they would be doing the wiring and also test why the JBLs were not working properly.

Once the wiring was changed, it was found that the JBL had actually run its course. So now I had a peculiar problem of having to replace the rear speakers.

I had a word with Nitin (of S&S inc) and my friend @XetaGLGRocks and explained him that I wasn't an audiophile and needed a setup for my daily drive to office and occasional highway trips.
So after lengthy discussions on different options, finalized
1. replace JBLs with Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693
2. front speakers were Sony and never could realise that they were actually there. So replaced them with Vibe Edge ED306-E2 component speakers.

Now it does feel awesome
Wifey wasn't aware of this and when she sat in the car later on, she could feel clear difference and was impressed. All fronts happy then.
So planned wiring changes actually went on to an 'unplanned' ICE upgrade.

Sharing couple of pictures which were taken later on.
An unplanned ICE upgrade for my i10-20150828234721.jpg

An unplanned ICE upgrade for my i10-201508282347211.jpg

Adding the picture of preowned Rockford Fosgate on my parcel tray

An unplanned ICE upgrade for my i10-201508282347201.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2015 at 21:40. Reason: Merged as requested.
redeye10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 23:36   #2
BHPian

Re: An unplanned ICE upgrade for my i10

Hey were you able to fit in the 6.5 inch components perfectly in the doors.If possible can you share pictures of the components.
sonil.luthra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 20:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
Hey were you able to fit in the 6.5 inch components perfectly in the doors.If possible can you share pictures of the components.
Hi Sonil,

Sorry for replying so later - missed this query of yours! I don't have pictures of the components, it was done all in hindsight (so only boxes). But yes, 6.5 inch fit well in the doors, I didn't find anything special or out of the ordinary being done.
Next time I am in the shop - would take the pic of the installed ones.
redeye10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 21:14   #4
BHPian

Neat upgrade redeye10. If you are not an audio buff, then I think it would suffice for your Red i10! I completely agree that if you are passionate, you definitely end up spending way beyond the planned budget. I doubt whether 6.5" components would be an easy fit for i10. Did they use some wooden rings (spacers) in between? Also, how successful has been the tweeter placement (position) after some days of driving? My tweeters keep coming off once a week as they're stuck with double sided tape.

Was wiring redone or replaced entirely? Would you mind sharing the cost of all this?
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 23:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Neat upgrade redeye10. If you are not an audio buff, then I think it would suffice for your Red i10! I completely agree that if you are passionate, you definitely end up spending way beyond the planned budget. I doubt whether 6.5" components would be an easy fit for i10. Did they use some wooden rings (spacers) in between? Also, how successful has been the tweeter placement (position) after some days of driving? My tweeters keep coming off once a week as they're stuck with double sided tape.

Was wiring redone or replaced entirely? Would you mind sharing the cost of all this?
Hi vin11,
Thanks.
As I mentioned, will try to get a pic of the speakers installed on the front doors - that would be best thing here.
Tweeters were placed first as-is on the dashboard, later due to the fact that it might come off if placed long under the sun (don't know actually if that would happen), so added a glue below the tweeters. It has been over 3 weeks since the installation and driven over 600 kms and they are still going strong. You may try out this option and see how it comes up.

Wiring was replaced entirely - that was the main reason why I went there, you see

Here is the cost of all these:
1. replaced wirings - INR 1200
2. Edge components - ~ INR 5K
3. preowned RF 6x9 ~ INR 1900

Last edited by redeye10 : 22nd September 2015 at 00:22.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
Tweeters were placed first as-is on the dashboard, later due to the fact that it might come off if placed long under the sun (don't know actually if that would happen), so added a glue below the tweeters.
Thanks for answering the questions, redeye10. Would you clarify which glue did you use exactly? After applying the glue, are the tweeters permanently fixed or can be removed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks