Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2015, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Maruti Celerio - Audio Upgrade

I purchased a Celerio Zxi about 2 months back. Overall, I am very much satisfied with the car, but I feel the Audio is not really upto the mark(Probably so because I compare it to my Ciaz )
I am looking at some way to improve it and came up with a few options. Please give your inputs on the same, keeping in mind that I am an absolute noob in this area.
1) Add a pair of components/co-axials in the rear parcel tray in addition to the existing 4 in the doors. (I would appreciate a reliable source in Delhi NCR)
2) Change the front door speakers to a set of component speakers (Would i need to change the wiring? Also what brand to be preferred? )
3) Change all 4 speakers.

All speakers are currently 6 inch, but I am not aware of the brand.
I was offered 2 JBL coaxials for 5k from MGA. Worth it, or should I get it done from outside?

Thanks in advance!
Deathucider
Old 26th December 2015, 19:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio - Audio Upgrade

changing the wiring and amping up the entire system will give you a much better sound experience than merely switching out the speakers. So pound for pound, amping up your system is the best. Buy a 4ch. amp (groundzero has some vfm products) and remember that installation is key to the process of your upgrade.

Cheers and have fun
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 21:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
changing the wiring and amping up the entire system will give you a much better sound experience than merely switching out the speakers. So pound for pound, amping up your system is the best. Buy a 4ch. amp (groundzero has some vfm products) and remember that installation is key to the process of your upgrade.

Cheers and have fun
I thought of the same initially. But then I realised that when I turn up the volume, the bass literally makes the speakers choke, if you know what I mean to say.
So do you still suggest installing an amp before changing the speakers?
Old 26th December 2015, 22:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathucider View Post
I purchased a Celerio Zxi about 2 months back. Overall, I am very much satisfied with the car, but I feel the Audio is not really upto the mark(Probably so because I compare it to my Ciaz )
I am looking at some way to improve it and came up with a few options. Please give your inputs on the same, keeping in mind that I am an absolute noob in this area.
1) Add a pair of components/co-axials in the rear parcel tray in addition to the existing 4 in the doors. (I would appreciate a reliable source in Delhi NCR)
2) Change the front door speakers to a set of component speakers (Would i need to change the wiring? Also what brand to be preferred? )

I was offered 2 JBL coaxials for 5k from MGA. Worth it, or should I get it done from outside?

Thanks in advance!
Deathucider
You can start with adding a front component speaker and a 4 channel amp and if budget permits then a layer of dampening on all the doors. For stage 2 you can add coaxials in the rear and if you need then may be a 8 inch sub and a mono amp.
If you have a budget in mind then you can choose the brands based on that or the the kind of music you listen should also help you choose the brands as every brand of speakers has its own distinct sound signature.
Some of the options I can suggest are infinity,dls and focal . For Amps you can look at ground zero,hertz and jbl.
soumen.blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 02:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd say don't buy an amp yet. Stage 1 would be getting component speakers in front and oval speakers in a replacement rear parcel tray made of wood.
I'm happy with my hertz dieci series speakers, but shop around. Make sure that your front speakers have at least 90 db sensitivity and the rears have 93 db. Disconnect the rear door speakers when installing the parcel tray ones as your hu may not have enough juice to drive all of them.
Make sure that your installation in the door is done with wooden spacers and not with the plastic ones the stock speakers come with.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 03:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Existing 4 and then components and coax
Do you intend to rent the car out for the upcoming wedding season

Just change the front speakers to two way coaxial and be done with it. It makes a humongous difference with just that one step.

I also doubt if the OE are 6, those in my Swift zxi were 5" something, replaced with 6.5" (by using adaptors) HAT imagine for 8K and the whole sound has changed.

I recommend that you drive it to Sounds good (IIRC) in Ramesh Nagar. Check the NCR directory for full address and interact with the owner Aman. He has a complete range of speakers and is not averse to letting you listen to them in your ride before you buy.

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Deathucider
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 09:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought of the same initially. But then I realised that when I turn up the volume, the bass literally makes the speakers choke, if you know what I mean to say.
So do you still suggest installing an amp before changing the speakers?
Haha trust me, if installed really well and amped up and tuned by a professional, they will not "choke" anymore. In most situations it will be difficult for you to tell the difference between an amped up stock setup with regular paper cone speakers and an amped up setup powering budget speakers (5-8k speakers) so leave speakers for a later stage so that you can enjoy great music right from the start
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio - Audio Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I recommend that you drive it to Sounds good (IIRC) in Ramesh Nagar. Check the NCR directory for full address and interact with the owner Aman. He has a complete range of speakers and is not averse to letting you listen to them in your ride before you buy.
I was unable to find this place in the NCR Directory. Please share some contact details if you have any.

Also could you specify any brands? I am looking at a total investment of no more than 10k.
Old 30th December 2015, 13:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

what do you want more - bass or clarity? depending on that, upgrade the rear or front speakers respectively
Old 31st December 2015, 16:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what do you want more - bass or clarity? depending on that, upgrade the rear or front speakers respectively
Is it a crime to say both?

I am not an audiophile, hence the low budget.
Old 31st December 2015, 20:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

10 is a bit low for both. a 12K budget and a bit of bargaining should get you there.
Make sure you go to a good installer - thats the critical part, even if it means compromising the budget.

If you are really tight on budget, one option is to move the rear speakers from the door to a wooden rear tray - and upgrade to good ovals later - which would cost double because of the cost of modifying the tray later - not really recommended

Last edited by greenhorn : 31st December 2015 at 20:08.
Old 1st January 2016, 00:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

My bad, Sounds Good are in Bombay, Motor Concept is the place to go to in Dilli

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...n-delhi-3.html

Brands!! I think the showroom will be the best place to decide on this

Quote:
I was unable to find this place in the NCR Directory. Please share some contact details if you have any.

Also could you specify any brands? I am looking at a total investment of no more than 10k.

Last edited by khoj : 1st January 2016 at 00:04.

Most Viewed