Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 08:55   #1
BHPian

Android Auto is now available in India

Quote:
More people around the world will be able to start experiencing Android Auto, as the feature is now available in many more countries across the globe. In all, Android Auto has expanded to a total of 18 new countries (and one territory, for good measure) across Latin America, Europe and elsewhere, including:

Argentina
Austria
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Guatemala
India
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Puerto Rico
Russia
Switzerland
Uruguay
Venezuela

Source
What I believe this means is that manufacturers will now be able to add Android Auto in their cars. Previously, it was only available as an accessory with aftermarket Head Units. Currently, Suzuki and Mahindra are listed as manufacturers coming soon with Android Auto. Expect the Smartplay infotainment systems to get updated sooner rater than later.

MODS: Could not find a relevant thread to post it. Do merge the thread with any thread you feel is relevant.

Android Auto is now available in India-screen-shot-20160405-8.46.22-am.png

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2016 at 09:48. Reason: Spacing :), thanks for sharing!
autorahul is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:42   #2
BHPian

re: Android Auto is now available in India

Nice to see this launch. I wonder if manufacturers will arrange a way to upgrade or retrofit these systems into the existing ICE systems in their cars. Or will owners to wait till their replacement cycles.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:52   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Auto is now available in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Currently, Suzuki and Mahindra are listed as manufacturers coming soon with Android Auto. Expect the Smartplay infotainment systems to get updated sooner rater than later.
At the Vitara Brezza drive, I was told that Android Auto is in the works for Maruti's SmartPlay HU.

For those curious to know how Android Auto works, here's a neat video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
I wonder if manufacturers will arrange a way to upgrade or retrofit these systems into the existing ICE systems in their cars. Or will owners to wait till their replacement cycles.
If you want Android Auto, it's either the car manufacturer supporting the same or an after-market head-unit. I don't think it'll be possible to upgrade existing units which don't have Android Auto built-in.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2016 at 09:57.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify, there are three different offerings :-

1. 'Apple car play' for iOS devices
2. 'Android Auto' for Android devices
3. 'MirrorLink' for certified devices across Android / Windows Phones being developed by CCC (CAR CONNECTIVITY CONSORTIUM)

Please do NOT confuse between these three offerings. Their capabilities are different.

The suzuki smartplay headunit at the moment supports 'Apple car play' and 'MirrorLink', and is scheduled to get 'Android Auto' according to the update by GTO.
govigov is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At the Vitara Brezza drive, I was told that Android Auto is in the works for Maruti's SmartPlay HU.
Can this be made available in existing Smartplay units via a software update? I know few people who have not gone for Smartplay variant cos they didn't have iPhone to connect to it, but if Android Auto can be installed in it, then they might rethink their decision.
Old 6th April 2016, 11:44   #6
BHPian

Does this mean there's a possibility that app connect from VW will get unlocked in India?
Old 6th April 2016, 23:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Pity we don't have Mazda in India

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2...-app-beta.html
Old 11th May 2016, 12:37   #8
BHPian

At The Android Auto Research Lab

Last edited by johannskaria : 11th May 2016 at 12:38.
Old 23rd May 2016, 00:10   #9
BHPian

Android auto would soon be accessible from any android smartphone

Quote:
An update to the Android Auto phone app coming later this year will enable the full Android Auto experience right on the phone itself, without needing to be plugged into a compatible car. The idea is that you could snap your phone into a dash-mounted cradle of some sort — which many of us do already — and just load up the Android Auto app for navigation and infotainment rather than relying on an in-dash display. (This is particularly practical now that many phones have huge displays themselves.) Like the in-dash Android Auto experience, the on-phone UI is simplified and voice-centric, keeping driver distraction to a minimum.
Video:

Source

Super geeky stuff here for what Google is putting in Android Auto's future

Mods, please merge this thread with any other relevant thread.

Last edited by autorahul : 23rd May 2016 at 00:28. Reason: Video added
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 23:06   #10
BHPian

hi guys,
There is this largish post on the Android subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...nese_headunit/ - about someone who bought a cheap Chinese android headunit, tweaked it and installed it on a 11 year old car.

the product in question is this, and the video of it in action is

Looking at it is very tempting - has anyone managed to do anything similar in India .. I mean with our Indian cars. Is it something worth attempting or is our wiring so different that its not worth it ?
Old 19th July 2016, 09:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone help please? Android Auto (apk download) was working perfectly on my Octavia III with my Note 4. However, couple of weeks back, my Note upgraded to 6.0.1 (Build xxxxDPF2) while Google Play India coincidentally started pushing out AA officially with current version being 1.6.281030 (2825091-release).

Currently the routine is:

1. My Note connects
2. HU senses the phone, starts connecting to it but the Mobile Transfer Protocol (MTP) app keeps crashing. 3. This makes the HU say that the phone is not compatible.

Have tried all the usual stuff like changing USB cables, enabling developer options and USB debugging! Yet to downgrade to an older version of AA and try though.

Funnily enough, MirrorLink is working fine although I don't have any ML apps.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th July 2016 at 09:42. Reason: Clarity
Old 19th July 2016, 17:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Can anyone help please? Android Auto (apk download) was working perfectly on my Octavia III with my Note 4.
Is this an OEM fitted infotainment device in your car? If so you can always approach the dealer with a complaint and you may be given an update.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:10   #13
BHPian

Guys, any updates on Suzuki SmartPlay Infotainment compatibility with Android Auto ? Just tried downloading the app onto my MotoX Play and connecting the device to my SmartPlay System, but it seems the system doesnt detect the device at all.
Old 8th October 2016, 00:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Guys, any updates on Suzuki SmartPlay Infotainment compatibility with Android Auto ? Just tried downloading the app onto my MotoX Play and connecting the device to my SmartPlay System, but it seems the system doesnt detect the device at all.
The Suzuki SmartPlay system doesn't have Android Auto built-in. Perhaps GTO can clarify - they are about to introduce it at some point but whether that will be limited to new cars or whether current SmartPlay System owners can upgrade their software is not clear.

So far the only Indian car to come with Android Auto is the Hyundai Elantra.

As you can see here Suzuki hasn't "launched" Android Auto in any of its vehicles.

https://www.android.com/auto/
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 22:12   #15
BHPian

Android Auto: now available in every car (via the standalone phone app)

Android Auto: now available in every car

Quote:
We launched Android Auto two years ago with the goal to better integrate phones and cars, and give drivers an easier way to access the information they need. There are now over 200 new car models supporting Android Auto offered from more than 50 brands, and many more launching every day.

But we know there are millions of older cars on the road that are not compatible with Android Auto, and many don't have a screen at all. We wanted to bring the same connected experience to these drivers too.

So today we're excited to introduce a whole new way to use Android Auto: right on your phone screen! This update allows anyone with an Android phone (running 5.0 or later) to use a driver friendly interface to access the key stuff you need on the road ― directions, music, communications ― without the distraction of things that aren't essential while driving.

Whether your phone is connected to a compatible car display, or placed in a car mount on the dashboard, Android Auto brings your favorite apps and services into one place, making them accessible in safer and seamless ways. You can bring your music with you with apps like Spotify, Pandora or Google Play Music, and make calls or send messages with hands-free voice commands. And of course, get turn-by-turn directions to your next destination with Google Maps.

This update also brings the ability to automatically start the app when the phone is paired with Bluetooth. While you can put your phone in any car mount, please keep an eye out for Bluetooth-supported car mounts such as Logitech’s SmartCar mount, which is coming soon to the Google Store and select retail locations.

We’re also enhancing the support for hands-free voice commands in the coming weeks. You will soon be able to easily access existing features like maps, music and messaging by just saying “Ok Google” so you can stay focused on the road.

Source - https://blog.google/products/android...-in-every-car/

Last edited by halfbytecode : 7th November 2016 at 22:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks