Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 13:25   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrades for the Maruti Vitara Brezza

I have recently purchased a Vitara Brezza ZDI variant. Disappointed not to get a touchscreen head unit. Stock one seems well integrated as far as the design goes. Have not listened to it yet since delivery is scheduled in a few days.

Need some suggestions for upgrades. My requirements :
  1. Components for the front. (Hertz or Infinity in around 5k range)
  2. Amplifier. (No idea which brand to go for)
  3. Rear view camera. (CCD with infrared LEDs around 2.5k with screen)
  4. Touchscreen head unit with Mirrorlink. (Sony xav 712bt)
  5. Panel and harness for the Brezza. (Any dealer in Goa?)

First plan was to get the Sony unit and connect a rear view cam. I didn't get any dealer for the harness and panel. would need a steering input upgrade.

Now thinking of cutting costs. Going for a camera and a screen on dash for rear view and component speakers with a 2 channel amp. Will the OEM unit have RCA outs or should i buy the rather cheaply available HiLo filter?

Budget would be around 10k for the second idea without HU upgrade. I believe it can be done.

I would appreciate brand and model suggestions. Also installation procedures (DIY links) for the same.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2016 at 10:16. Reason: Removing oversized pic
anycatd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:31   #2
BHPian

re: ICE upgrades for the Maruti Vitara Brezza

Congrats on your new buy! Tell us what made you choose Brezza over the competition For e.g. Ecosport. I have heard from friends that the interior quality of Brezza(In fact all Maruthi cars) is a let down. True?

I am looking out to upgrade one of the cars in Family and will either be looking at pre-worshiped small luxury SUVs or buy a new compact SUV or a small car. The TDs/Hunt haven't started yet but your initial feedback on Brezza would be helpful.

I haven't been in the market for touchscreen units but I have heard that Pioneer is good. I had also seen an ad in this month's overdrive for an android touchscreen unit which looked impressive. I can look it up and provide you details if you are interested.
Old 5th April 2016, 16:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Now thinking of cutting costs. Going for a camera and a screen on dash for rear view and component speakers with a 2 channel amp. Will the OEM unit have RCA outs or should i buy the rather cheaply available HiLo filter?

Budget would be around 10k for the second idea without HU upgrade. I believe it can be done.
10K is tough if you include a camera, screen, component speakers and a 2 channel amp.

For 10K you should get a pair of JBL components and a 2 Sony channel amp. Remember you will have to keep some money for the Hi-Lo adapter and RCA wires.

Some OEM HUs have RCA out for the 2 channels. You will have to check. if there are no RCA out then you will need a Hi-Lo adapter as well.

Last edited by navin : 5th April 2016 at 16:53.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
Congrats on your new buy!
I can look it up and provide you details if you are interested.
Thanks. I have delayed the delivery to friday, so can't comment on its performance yet. Which android unit is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
10K is tough if you include a camera, screen, component speakers and a 2 channel amp.

For 10K you should get a pair of JBL components and a 2 Sony channel amp. Remember you will have to keep some money for the Hi-Lo adapter and RCA wires.

Some OEM HUs have RCA out for the 2 channels. You will have to check. if there are no RCA out then you will need a Hi-Lo adapter as well.
Component speakers -5k
2 Channel amplifier with LoC from previous gen-3.5k
Screen and rear cam 2.5k

I can stretch to 12-13k or even more to get good quality. Initial budget was 30k. So anything less than 20k will be good.

Last edited by anycatd : 5th April 2016 at 19:29. Reason: additions
Old 6th April 2016, 10:26   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ICE upgrades for the Maruti Vitara Brezza

10k is too little money for a meaningful ICE upgrade, especially the type you have in mind. What I'd suggest is to spread your upgrade over time (when you have the budget), instead of going for cheap stuff on a million-rupee SUV. Don't spoil your Vitara Brezza's ambience .

What I would do:

1. Head-unit
2. Damping
3. Speaker upgrade
4. A single amplifier
5. A single subwoofer

The rear view of the Vitara Brezza is compromised, so would prefer a head-unit with an integrated camera display (parking sensors are also recommended).

For those buying the Vitara Brezza ZDi+, only points no. 2 - 5 are applicable. Maruti's SmartPlay head-unit has much improved now (no longer laggy & buggy as we saw in the early Ciaz). It's got Apple CarPlay support while Android Auto is in the works. A superb head-unit.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Head-unit
2. Damping
3. Speaker upgrade
4. A single amplifier
5. A single subwoofer

The rear view of the Vitara Brezza is compromised, so would prefer a head-unit with an integrated camera display (parking sensors are also recommended).
I was looking for a head unit initially. Had ordered a Sony 712bt which had all features. Then did not manage to source a harness for Brezza. Had to refuse the delivery.

Installing a 2 channel amplifier and component speakers for the front won't suffice for the time being? Does the head unit matter as far as sound quality is concerned, if an amp is used?
As I mentioned the budget can be stretched to 15k. Where to purchase the camera? Is autotrends.in a good seller?
Old 6th April 2016, 11:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Component speakers -5k
2 Channel amplifier with LoC from previous gen-3.5k
Screen and rear cam 2.5k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
10k is too little money for a meaningful ICE upgrade, especially the type you have in mind.
What I would do:

1. Head-unit
2. Damping
3. Speaker upgrade
4. A single amplifier
5. A single subwoofer

Maruti's SmartPlay head-unit has much improved now (no longer laggy & buggy as we saw in the early Ciaz)...A superb head-unit.
anycatd,

I second GTO's view. A step wise update will save you money in the long run. I have often said that damping is one the best upgrades one can execute and it does not involve messing with any electronics. I would not want to add any unsightly screen just for a rear view camera. A HU with an integrated camera input (some like the Kenwood 416BT have 2) will be less obtrusive.

I have not seen the Brezza's head unit. I suspect even the ZDi+'s SmartPlay head-unit will not have time delay options such as those of the Sony 712BT you had earlier considered.

My wife has a Sony 612BT in her Honda City and retained her steering wheel controls. I am sure you can find a wiring harness for the Brezza too. It might take a while to come to market as the Brezza is a relatively new launch. The only issue I find with the Sony HU is that it takes a long while (longer than the stock OEM HUs of the Honda City or even that of the Toyota Camry) to register the music library of a 120GB iPod. By this I mean other Hus might take 1-3 seconds, the 612BT takes a good 5-7 seconds when it is first turned on.

Coming back to your upgrade and your budget.

For 10K I would just get the front speakers and amplifier. A good pair of front components (Morel, Focal, DLS, Rainbow etc.) will run you 6K+ and a 4ch. amp (Focal, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) will run you around 5K. This will future proof your system should you desire to add a subwoofer later on.

For 5K you could damp the front doors.

Later when budget permits I would recommend considering your initial idea and adding a good subwoofer and a good HU with time delay like the 712BT or the Pioneer 5890BT. This will allow you to align the bass of the subwoofer to sound like it is coming from the front (in concert with your front speakers). This upgrade will be expensive (these HUs alone cost around 30K and the subwoofer with a sealed box will be around 10-15K). There are cheaper HUs of course but none that I know that have time delay.

Edit: After my post I was reading through the specs of the Kenwood 416BT and found that it has Time Alignment. I placed a few calls and found that it is expected to be freely available in the market by the end of April for about 20-22K. Hope this helps. Currently the market has the 415BT (@ 20K) and just one shop in Mumbai (in Opera House) is selling 20 per week (which is huge). Krishna Motors in Andheri East (Mumbai distributor) told me it is a big hit for the value it offers. http://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vis...16bt/spec.html

The 415BT/416BT would hence be the cheapest HU with Time Alignment and integrated camera inputs (and a host of other features including upgraded Bluetooth audio - see the link).

Last edited by navin : 6th April 2016 at 11:26.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 12:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
anycatd,

A HU with an integrated camera input (some like the Kenwood 416BT have 2) will be less obtrusive.

For 10K I would just get the front speakers and amplifier. A good pair of front components (Morel, Focal, DLS, Rainbow etc.) will run you 6K+ and a 4ch. amp (Focal, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) will run you around 5K. This will future proof your system should you desire to add a subwoofer later on.

Edit: After my post I was reading through the specs of the Kenwood 416BT and found that it has Time Alignment. I placed a few calls and found that it is expected to be freely available in the market by the end of April for about 20-22K.
We own a WagonR too, so the rear view camera monitor that i would be installing can be shifted to the Wagonr when the Brezza head unit is upgraded.
I expect most brands to come with android auto soon.

Are Hertz components good? I tend to trust Italian brands.

The higher end kenwood models have got android auto and capacitive touchscreens. Where can I get the prices for these? Any online site which sells kenwood?

Thanks for the research you made.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 13:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We own a WagonR too, so the rear view camera monitor that i would be installing can be shifted to the Wagonr when the Brezza head unit is upgraded.

Are Hertz components good? I tend to trust Italian brands.

Any online site which sells kenwood?

Thanks for the research you made.
1. You will still damage the interiors when you mount the camera monitor in the Brezza. I would try to avoid this.

2. Most companies make their speakers in China. There is no reason to trust a brand just because it is based in Italy or Denmark. The only Hertz system I heard was years ago and it was very bright to my ears. I would strongly suggest you hear them before you buy them.

3. I do not trust online for car audio. For CDs and Books maybe but not for car audio or any audio. I need to be able to listen to the product or at least have the view of a pair of ears I can trust (old friends).

4. I don't know any dealer in Goa. However you can ask Just Dial for the number for Krishna Motors in Andheri East Mumbai. I have their only mobile number and am not at liberty to share that publicly. Sorry.

Last edited by navin : 6th April 2016 at 13:01.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 01:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
1. You will still damage the interiors when you mount the camera monitor in the Brezza. I would try to avoid this.
What should I do then? I need a rear view cam.

Buying online for cheaper may get me better speakers for almost the same budget. Will do check local prices before plunging. Hertz ESK range has got good reviews. They are smooth sounding as per users.
Old 7th April 2016, 09:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should I do then? I need a rear view cam.

Buying online for cheaper may get me better speakers for almost the same budget. Will do check local prices before plunging. Hertz ESK range has got good reviews. They are smooth sounding as per users.
Why dont you one of those that has a screen integrated in your RVM, something like this-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Car-TFT-...-/221931868405
I agree in the separate screen part, looks very sore.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Why dont you one of those that has a screen integrated in your RVM, something like this-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Car-TFT-...-/221931868405
I agree in the separate screen part, looks very sore.
I am aware of these but that would mean removing the day night factory fitted mirror. Anyways getting the vehicle tomorrow. Will see where things fit.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My advice to you basis a mini upgrade that we performed on a friend's Endeavour

1.Just replace the front speakers with a pair of good components.The difference in SQ will be huuuuge.This would be approx 6k.

2.Get a dhc night vision camera with an on dash 4.3" screen.This would be approx 2.5k for cam and 2k for display

You can keep upgrading later.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 22:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My advice to you basis a mini upgrade that we performed on a friend's Endeavour

1.Just replace the front speakers with a pair of good components.The difference in SQ will be huuuuge.This would be approx 6k.

2.Get a dhc night vision camera with an on dash 4.3" screen.This would be approx 2.5k for cam and 2k for display

You can keep upgrading later.
Yeah looks like the way to go with front components.

Where to buy DHC products?

Got the delivery today. Stock sound was better than I anticipated. The speakers though are placed low and vocals don't seem that clear. Components would solve that problem I guess. Any idea which brand HU and speakers come stock in Brezza? Nippon Kenwood?

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2016 at 01:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 9th April 2016, 01:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Got the delivery today. Stock sound was better than I anticipated. The speakers though are placed low and vocals don't seem that clear. Components would solve that problem I guess. Any idea which brand HU and speakers come stock in Brezza? Nippon Kenwood?

Congratulations for your new car. I advice you to stay with your stock head unit and just add a amp and components to improve SQ. for reverse camera, go ahead and add on dash display screen. Do not worry about the looks, cause some times dual screens in the dash looks great if they are properly installed.

You can see dual screens here in My car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...redefined.html

Wishing you good luck for your setup.

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2016 at 01:55.
sumanbhokray is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks