Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 10:03   #16
BHPian

Graaja,
Thank you for such an exhaustive and well illustrated post. I am overwhelmed at the trouble you have taken. The Castrol service station near my house has a multi meter and also a clamp meter if I am not mistaken. I remember him connecting something like that when I was discussing this problem while having my car polished at his centre. He approach was similar to yours. I did not follow it up seriously since he estimated that it would take a week to ten days, moreover it was a friend of his who was outstation for a month then who would do the investigation. Having just got the car back after a week at the dealers for the same problem, I was reluctant to do without. We are now a one car family.
I am optimistic that the problem will be sorted.I like my machines to be in ship shape all the time and that's part of the problem . I shall certainly discuss the procedures you have outlined while speaking to a technician .Regards.
Battery drain problems after ICE install-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466915379.349281.jpg

P.S. Attaching a picture of the battery report taken at the dealers. R
Old 27th June 2016, 10:11   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Battery drain problems after ICE install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
P.S. Attaching a picture of the battery report taken at the dealers. R
If the battery report is good, then the problem should be most probably an over current draw from the battery. Please do update on the results of your investigation.
Old 27th June 2016, 12:00   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a VW GT TSI car purchased in Feb 2015. I have installed an infotainment system by Caska at about the same time.

During installation, the stock wiring on the car was not disturbed. After functioning well for three months, I found that my car battery was drained and the vehicle needed to be jump started.
I don't think it's related to the Caska head-unit install. You got it when the car was new, the stock wiring hasn't been messed with and for 3 months, there were no problems. If it was due to the Caska's wiring, it would have come up earlier.

Tell your dealer / mechanic to focus on the car, not just the Caska head-unit.

Battery drain problems are annoying to sort out. I remember one BHPian going through hell trying to figure out why his battery was draining. Guess what the reason was? A boot lamp that was stuck permanently on!

Still, just to be sure, ensure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If you research the internet, you'll notice hundreds of threads stating battery drain issues after upgrade to RCD510 for any previous gen stereos on VW group cars. The main reason for this is:

1) These stereos are not connected to the BCM.
2) If you do not connect to the BCM, the stereo doesn't power off with the ignition, it will remain ON. You have to manually power down the stereo.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 13:09   #19
BHPian

Battery drain problems after ICE install

GTO, Thank you very much. I shall look to find a good mechanic who has the inclination to take on what could be a time consuming job. After reading the inputs I have received and the clearance from the Caska team, I too think it is a small leak that is causing the problem. Regards.
P.S. Even in my car, the radio powers off the first time I turn the ignition off. Subsequently, I can operate the car radio without the key. R.

Last edited by ramases6 : 27th June 2016 at 13:14.
Old 27th June 2016, 14:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu,The battery drain out occurs between two and three three days of the car lying idle. That is with the Caska system installed. It takes slightly longer, 4 + with the OE system in place.
So this means there is a discharge, and you need to find out where it is happening from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

The best way to rule out #2 is to measure the current discharge from the battery. You can either do a DIY and find out the current drain or take it to a good auto electrician and measure this. If you are fine with DIY, then all you need is a cheap digital multimeter that can measure DC current upto 10A or 20A. You should be able to get such a meter for Rs.500 in SP road, or even Amazon. Here is an example from Amazon.

Mastech Digital Multimeter

Once you have this meter, to measure current, disconnect the -ve terminal from the battery, put the multimeter in current measurement mode, connect the multimeter probes between the -ve terminal of the battery and the cable and measure current. The current should not be more than 50mA. If the current is high, then it means some part of the car is drawing current even when the car is locked. Here is a YouTube video that clearly demonstrates how to debug such an issue.

===
If you can do the current measurement at least as a DIY and confirm that the current draw is high, then you can take the help of a good car electrician to identify the circuit that is causing the drain by isolating fuses. Remember to lock the car when taking this measurement as the foot well lights and cabin lights get on when the car is unlocked.
========
Good luck with the troubleshooting effort
This is the best approach, go to an car electrical shop and ask them to check if there is a drain, and if possible isolate where it is happening by removing one fuse at a time.

Quote:
P.S. Even in my car, the radio powers off the first time I turn the ignition off. Subsequently, I can operate the car radio without the key. R.
Car stereo standby mode should not cause such drains, 3 days for draining a fully charged battery is a serious amount of discharge. Get it sorted, changing to a higher rated battery will give you just 1 or 2 days more time.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks