Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2006, 15:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

JL Audio/ Boston Launch in Mumbai

Hi guys,

I just attended the JL Audio/ Boston/ Ultimate car audio launch in Mumbai, just thought I'd post a few details for everyone's benefit.

Event was on Sunday, 1st October at Blue Sea, Worli, Mumbai on a rather monsoon-ravaged morning. Add to that the fact that I was still a bit tipsy from the previous night's binge, and that my wiper decided to stop working midway, it couldn't have been worse. Well actually, it could have been worse, and it was, since the organizers decided not to pop the champagnes till the presentation was over. So there!

There were 3 demo cars on display, one each for the 3 brands being launched, namely JL Audio, Boston and Ultimate.

Surprisingly, all of the three cars were tuned very very poorly. I am sure the results could have been better because I have heard most of the equipment in better installs.

The showcase car was supposed to be one fitted with JL amps and subs, and Boston speakers with an Eclipse head unit. The tone controls read Low - (0), Mid - (+4) and Tre - (+6) or thereabout!!!

The front speakers were in the dash up against the front windscreen in re-constructed and carpeted MDF dash. I have certainly seen more tasteful dash reconstructions. Another peculiarity was the number of subs in the car. There was a 8W3 in the middle of the console where one would usually put a center channel. There was a 13W7 in a box that would fire into the rear seat backs (if they existed), and yet another pair of 10s firing into the trunk from behind the W7. I was told that they could be independently turned on and off so that people could listen to what each sounds like. I am of the opinion though, that passive subwoofer diaphragms in the same listening environment is not such a good idea. This takes away the possibility of demo-ing one sub only and doing it well too.

The presentation showed some gorgeous international installs involving their products, most installed by Shaji Sebastian who looks after the install bays that SSPL has in the Gulf (Ok, Gelf!). He is a MECP certified installer, trained at Installers Institute and FishCamp, in addition to having undergone the 'IASCA Certified Judge' program.

In addition to JL etc, SSPL does Tsunami cables, which they did not have on display due to lack of stock.

SSPL plans to take away all of Mumbai's installers for a weekend at Kerala where they will be imparted the first module of an Installers Institute affiliated installation training course for free. 'Naariyal paani' is also free, of course! I'm hoping these blokes come back an educated lot so that the gurus at TBhp have to scream themselves hoarse a little less about the virtues of good installation.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 3rd October 2006 at 15:53.
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

B&T,
A pciture = 1000 words; especially the kind of pics Sam takes (see Sam's European Odessey thread on another forum).
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
B&T,
A pciture = 1000 words; especially the kind of pics Sam takes (see Sam's European Odessey thread on another forum).
My pics = 1000 abuses (hurled at me). I could find my way around a nuclear reactor, but not a digital camera.

I am waiting for pics to be forwarded to me by the professional photographer, I will post those. Its best to leave stuff to those good at it, after all I wouldn't let the photographer install a system in my car, would I?

As for Sam, he has unbelievable focus in life. And his focus only improves in the presence of delectables, I'm sure. Unlike mere mortals like me.
Old 4th October 2006, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey B&T,

Nice writeup for those who werent there... Surprising that they had not looked into fine tuning the setup. Where there's bass, there's treble?? eheh.

Training for installers? This is a good move! Hope atleast some of them take their knowledge and put it into practise rather then enjoying a "phree" holiday!!! God only knows whats happening on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
JL Audio/ Boston/ Ultimate car audio
Ultimate Car Audio, thats definately going to keep the cash registers ringing

Quote:
And his focus only improves in the presence of delectables, I'm sure.
Hehehe... all sorts of delectables mind you! That European Odyssey thread sure has the makings of a cult status.
Old 4th October 2006, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My pics = 1000 abuses (hurled at me).
Quote:
I could find my way around a nuclear reactor, but not a digital camera.
I am waiting for pics to be forwarded to me by the professional photographer, I will post those. Its best to leave stuff to those good at it, after all I wouldn't let the photographer install a system in my car, would I?

As for Sam, he has unbelievable focus in life. And his focus only improves in the presence of delectables, I'm sure. Unlike mere mortals like me.
ha ha ! hey, nuke man, have you found your way to posting those pics yet ? eagerly waiting.
Old 5th October 2006, 16:58   #6
BANNED

This SSPL thingy was making a lot of noise in car magazines for some time. I was just curious about the way they were going to handle these products. And from there whole lineup, I was more interested in JL audio.
And now I am just seeing what I expected. B&T, thanks for giving us this update. Pics will be very much appreciated too. Please shoot that photographer if needed.
Old 6th October 2006, 02:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
This SSPL thingy was making a lot of noise in car magazines for some time. I was just curious about the way they were going to handle these products. And from there whole lineup, I was more interested in JL audio.
And now I am just seeing what I expected. B&T, thanks for giving us this update. Pics will be very much appreciated too. Please shoot that photographer if needed.
You're right about the advertising part, the presentation was also quite professionally handled. The only turn-off was the bit about the demo cars.

I wish I could shoot the photographer too. But if he is to be believed, he's already suffering enough in Bangalore due to the 'bandh' etc, that it'll actually be a relief for him to be staring up the barrel of a gun!
Old 14th October 2006, 15:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Some Pics..

First-bench boys.

Old 14th October 2006, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nahi nahi nahi.............
Old 14th October 2006, 18:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First bench boys.

Hey B&T,

Nice Pics..
Thanks For Sharing..
BTW Who is on the right side of yourself ??

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 14th October 2006, 20:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Stud from a dealership called Shreyas Motors. Name's Hiten. He's married though, sorry.
Old 14th October 2006, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stud from a dealership called Shreyas Motors. Name's Hiten. He's married though, sorry.

Come On Yaar..
I was asking because i have not seen at the time of Innova Install.
Anyway Thanks..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 14th October 2006, 20:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Someow B&T I get the feeling Mugen's got his right and left mixed up and is asking about Bimal.
Old 14th October 2006, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Someow B&T I get the feeling Mugen's got his right and left mixed up and is asking about Bimal.
No sir..
I Know bimal, I met him when i went to bombay.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 14th October 2006, 23:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Guess what we have boston here in chandigarh they were about to launch their Car audio after the fair in april but i went o them in july and they still say they havent got the stuff. DO any one know their price range etc for a simple system:

1. HU with MP3 capability
2. 4CH AMP
3. 2 Front 2 rear speakers
4. A Sub woofer.

Also i think the Scorpio is the same as shown here in the exhibition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks