Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Hi Guys, I recently bought a Safari with a factory fitted Tata authorised Nippun MP3 head unit with a set of four speakers. Although the set up is sufficient for basic listening needs, but I would want to spruce it up for some good bass and treble effect.
As I have no clue as to what kind of upgrades I should go in for, hence I would request the experts over here to give me some guidance.
If I need to fix a woofer / sub woofer, do I also need a amplifier ?
Also, which brand of speakers and subwoofers are best suited for the Safari as it has huge cabin area and more importantly does the electrical warranty go void if I go in for aftermarket fittments.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

have you seen this ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html

ha ha ha !! navin, i beat you to that..lol

Last edited by esteem_lover : 5th October 2006 at 17:42.
Old 5th October 2006, 22:13   #3
BANNED

One thing for sure. You'll need an amp to power the Sub.
We're keen to know what is your budget and what's your musical tastes to make a suitable suggestion for you.

BTW, esteemguy! Be careful when you beat NavinJi.
Old 5th October 2006, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
One thing for sure. You'll need an amp to power the Sub.
We're keen to know what is your budget and what's your musical tastes to make a suitable suggestion for you.
Ya a sub or two will be required....but as u said that you r satisified by the oem system u can do fine with a single sub....

for the sub IMHO you can go for jbl/alpine subs....they can do a fine job....for the amp get a pioneer or a jbl amp....

and for the extra treble....add a ts-20........lol
Old 6th October 2006, 12:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
have you seen this ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html

ha ha ha !! navin, i beat you to that..lol
that was fun

The Nippon HU would be a Kenwood HU? How many preouts it has?
Old 6th October 2006, 12:49   #6
BHPian

@ esteem lover - Yes, thanks I have gone through that link.

@ Speedzak - I like to listen to not very high volume music, but yes with a somewhat pulsating bass and bit of treble effect.

@ low bass makker - Can you elaborate on a "ts-20". Also since you are based in NCR, can you reccomend a good installer for the ICE setup?

@ jkdas - Yes a Nippon HU is the same as a Kenwood HU. Although I need to check about the pretouts as of now.

And after going through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html post. I think I am contemplating on going in for the following, Let me know if I have decided wisely..
- Nippon OEM HU.
- JBL / Pio 306 sub.
- Sony 554 Amp.
- Component speakers on all four doors ( Is it reccomended to do this or do I need to put only on the rear doors) as I would not be using the OEM front ones then as they are pathetic. By the way which brand is the best?
Old 6th October 2006, 13:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope. Nippon distributes Kenwood, but also makes(outsources) their own brand of Electronics called Nippon.
Old 6th October 2006, 13:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov
- Nippon OEM HU.
- JBL / Pio 306 sub.
- Sony 554 Amp.
- Component speakers on all four doors ( Is it reccomended to do this or do I need to put only on the rear doors) as I would not be using the OEM front ones then as they are pathetic. By the way which brand is the best?
Make sure the HU has preouts or you mgith ahve to use speaker level to line level adapters.

There are no "best speakers".

I'd suggest using component speakers as far as possible however there are 2 limitations
a) you need to find a location to install the tweeter
b) a nicer amp than the 554 as I find the 554 to be harsh.

with component speakers you wont need the TS20. I believe LBM was joking when he suggested the TS20.

Last edited by navin : 6th October 2006 at 14:25.
Old 6th October 2006, 13:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
with component speakers you wont need the TS20 and the treble will be less harsh. I believe LBM was joking when he suggested the TS20.
surely sir.....but if he did not want to change the stock speaker then the ts-20 will do a extra extra job......

But they sure can be tamed....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 6th October 2006 at 14:03.
Old 6th October 2006, 13:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dragonov, LBM was joking about the TS-20. Those are Pioneer Tweeters that are *notorious* for the extra extra treble effects (and associated headaches). Any sane person who likes balanced music would go nuts with TS20s in their set-up. Stay away from them, buddy!

And anyway you plan for components in the front (JBL comps and Hertz comps are good), so you won't need an extra tweeter up front. Unless you want to spring the extra money, you'll be ok with co-axials in the back.
Old 6th October 2006, 14:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Like LBM says the TS20 can be tamed but the harshness does not go away it is just lowered.
Old 7th October 2006, 00:41   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov
- Nippon OEM HU.
- JBL / Pio 306 sub.
- Sony 554 Amp.
Your choice seems good. I would suggest the following:

Stick with JBL subwoofer rather than PIO.
Component speakers in the front and some matching co-axials on the rear will do the job if you drive your car yourselves. If the rear seat is your favourite location, then opt for components in the front and rear. And find a good installer who can optimally place the speakers, rather than just plonk it anywhere. PM Gunbir/JB/LBM/iRaghava etc.. (the happening folks from Delhi/NCR) to find a good installer in your area. Or go to Driven. he is famous for nice ICE stuff. And one thing to keep in mind; Never ever fall for high end products unless you have plenty of cash flow. Keep your budget written in your head and decide the stuff according to it.

Best brands?? As NavinJi said, there is nothing like that. Each and every brand of speakers has it's own character and sound. Even Dapic, Sony etc.. makes many people happy. So it's only a matter of what suits best for your tastes. The best thing to do is listen to some speakers of the same price range from different brands. And grab what you like most.
For components, consider JBL (will match your Sub too), Hertz and Illusion audio. JBL 607 components sounded very good to me and Hertz components sounded more better (And so is the price!! ) I have'nt yet heard Illusion audio components, so can't comment on that. But in the forum it seems a good choice too.
Whatever it is, Be careful! It's your ears and your money. So, listening to different brands will give you the correct picture. I know of many who have listened to other's opinions and came back unsatisfied. So give it a SUNOH!!! and then SOCHO!!! and then Mazaa UDAAAO!!!!!!

Last edited by speedzak : 7th October 2006 at 00:44.
Old 7th October 2006, 01:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ok so u have decided to take the componets....man scrap the TS-20....go for jbl componets 607 with any doubt in the front if the budget permits go with componets in the back also rest coaxial will do fine....get a good 4 channel....sony or pioneer or jbl....get a single 15 or 12 which suits you budget....for the amp get a second amp or drive the rear speakers with the hu and the front and the sub with the amp.....
Old 7th October 2006, 14:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have something to point out for Tata Safri Dicor guys.

The front speakers provided in the car are components, 6" in size. The tweeter is in the door, inside of the side view mirror. It's essentially a component set, but with no extensive external crossover. It can sound good with good power, but can't match a good quality after-market component system.

Here's a small pointer though. Each of the 6" speakers has a large capacitor attached to it. This was used when the earlier Safari's had a 8" DVC subwoofer in the trunk lid. The sub has lately been discontinued, but the cap on the speakers remains. The cap is a bass blocker. Getting rid of it will allow the speakers to play full-range. I recommend you do that first, power up the speakers with a good head unit or amp, and then contemplate upgrades.
Old 7th October 2006, 14:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ LBM, Did You Ask Him About Budget ??

@ Dragonov,

Front - Comps.
Rear - Coaxials.
Sub - 12" Or 15".

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks