Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2006, 14:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for explainig B&T,now i see why my box aint a Ported Box. Yes the Box is a one size fits all type as I have seen him fitting same box for different types of subs in other cars.

Btw Donno what specs of sub you are looking at but here's from Sony's site the specs for my amp & Sub, hope it helps else if you are more precise will look into the manual

Sony Sub Specs(Click on the thumbnail)

Sony Amp Specs(Click on the thumbnail)
Old 12th October 2006, 14:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
dont close the holes, stuff an old cotton sock in each hole. make it aperiodic.
Navin, could you explain this to me (without drowning me in audiophilese ) please? Won't the sock block the rear waves completely? And how would the bass change? Is this hack intended to make it sound like something between a ported and a sealed box?
Old 13th October 2006, 12:00   #33
Team-BHP Support

aperiodic boxes are usually used when the woofer is stuffed into a box that is a trifle small. A woofer has a Q (this is a combination of it mechanical and electrical Q). when a woofer is stuffed into a box the Q of the boxed woofer changes depending on the design on the box.

If the Q is too high you get a peak in the bass and that peak leads to a bass that has little timbre. By reducing Q (and the boxed woofer's efficiency - there is no free lunch) you make the boxed woofer a bit more listenable.

Like Mr. Bond, I will not discuss the origins of Q. :-)
Old 13th October 2006, 12:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Tried fitting the sub facing the door but damn the tray has a bar beneath which is not allowing me to do so :(

Yet to find a pair of non stinky old socks
Old 13th October 2006, 12:17   #35
Team-BHP Support

If you cant find socks use any soft cloth
Old 13th October 2006, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the Q is too high you get a peak in the bass and that peak leads to a bass that has little timbre. By reducing Q (and the boxed woofer's efficiency - there is no free lunch) you make the boxed woofer a bit more listenable.
this is a graph of the response of a boxed woofer if the Q is to low....

and this one if the Q is to high...

the Q factor changes with the size of the box ( and there are other factors also)......like in both the cases the sub is the same but the response is differnent.......
Old 13th October 2006, 18:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
aperiodic boxes are usually used ..... Like Mr. Bond, I will not discuss the origins of Q. :-)
Hmmmmm... Thanks, Navin. Though some of it did go over my head (I have no idea what 'Q' is), from a practical/real-world-use standpoint I get the idea. (I'm lucky to be blessed with the ability to get the results I want with stuff, without quite understanding the deeper tech behind most things).

I'm looking up 'Q' though. I'll see if I can find Q and bribe that invisible Aston Martin off him behind Bond's back :-)

Most Viewed