Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2006, 10:07   #1
BANNED

hey guys, i got a Sony XM-554ZR 4 channel amp driving a pioneer 306 DVC. i dont what is bridging, but i'll try and explain the wiring, one voice coil is powered by the front output, +ve from left channel and -ve from the right channel. and the other coil is powered by the rear output +ve from left channel and -ve from the right channel. i hope you've got an idea what i am trying to say. now the problem is that whenever i listen to a very bass heavy song like - nelly - grillz(ya'll should listen to it, if u got a system) the amp trips or overheats at high volumes. i mean you can feel, the woofer turning off for 2 seconds, then turning on for 4 seconds and then turning off again for 2 seconds. this goes on till i reduce the volume to a decent level. any solutions??

and one more problem.. sometimes at high volumes, suddenly the "mids" and "highs" sound really high and then they are suppressed again... this happens for a few times and gets alright usually after 10 minutes.
got any idea on this??.. pioneer speakers in front, audiobahn in the rear. powered by an old headunit pioneer 5650 (ya ya, dont laugh, my JVC exad got stolen), speakers are powered by the HU only, HPF on at 80Hz
Old 16th October 2006, 12:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_sinner
hey guys, i got a Sony XM-554ZR 4 channel amp driving a pioneer 306 DVC. i dont what is bridging, but i'll try and explain the wiring, one voice coil is powered by the front output, +ve from left channel and -ve from the right channel. and the other coil is powered by the rear output +ve from left channel and -ve from the right channel. i hope you've got an idea what i am trying to say. now the problem is that whenever i listen to a very bass heavy song like - nelly - grillz(ya'll should listen to it, if u got a system) the amp trips or overheats at high volumes. i mean you can feel, the woofer turning off for 2 seconds, then turning on for 4 seconds and then turning off again for 2 seconds. this goes on till i reduce the volume to a decent level. any solutions??

and one more problem.. sometimes at high volumes, suddenly the "mids" and "highs" sound really high and then they are suppressed again... this happens for a few times and gets alright usually after 10 minutes.
got any idea on this??.. pioneer speakers in front, audiobahn in the rear. powered by an old headunit pioneer 5650 (ya ya, dont laugh, my JVC exad got stolen), speakers are powered by the HU only, HPF on at 80Hz
Check what power cable you are using for the subwoofer amp. You need 8-gauge. Likewise for earthing. And check the earthing point, should be a good contact with the metal, free of paint and grime, using a good quality ring terminal.

Which speaker cuts off? The fronts or rears, or both? If it's the rear, most Audiobahn speakers come with a poly switch protection to prevent clipping from damaging tweeters. This could be kicking in. If that is the case, you are turning up the volume too loud for the speakers.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

the power wiring could be the culprit....are u using BOSS power cable....as they give more rubber than the copper in it....
Old 16th October 2006, 13:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Also please realise that if you like playing your system loud (which is a big yes, I suspect) your amp is simply not enough to drive the woofer in question and is probably clipping, overheating & begging you for mercy in Japanese.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:24   #5
BANNED

yes, the wiring is 8 guage. from the battery to the amp, and so for the grounding. but for the remote power, yes the wire is really thin.. i really dont think a thicker wire could be needed there. as for the amp not being powerful enough.. i really dont have a very good idea.. i think the woofer is 1000 watts, and the amp is 600 watts. also, the LPF of the amp is switched on at 80Hz. gain for both channels is set at about middle position. HPF of the HU is at 125Hz(it was at 80 earlier, what do you think is better?)

as for the speakers, there is no poly switch protection is the rear speakers, you can just feel that speakers worth 5000 bucks are sounding like 200 Rs karol bagh speakers. but the fluctuation of the mids and highs happens only for the initial 5 - 10 mins, is u play it loud. after that it does not happen again no matter how loud you play it.

I will get pics ASAP, as currently i cant, due to this...

Note from mod: Please dont deviate from topic. If you want to share info about your accident, there is a section called "Street experiences". Please read the announcements section before posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th October 2006 at 14:19.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Umm because your number plate broke in a small accident?
Did you have to post 3 large pictures to say that much in a thread you created about your overheating amplifier?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th October 2006 at 13:46.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_sinner
as for the speakers, there is no poly switch protection is the rear speakers,

I must apologize for trying to help.
Old 16th October 2006, 14:05   #8
BANNED

well thanks for the help B&T, might be a problem with HU, as the technician told me.

MOD PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD
Old 16th October 2006, 14:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: thread closed on request of poster
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks