Team-BHP - Help Choosing Amp
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Help Choosing Amp (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/18197-help-choosing-amp.html)

Guysplease: i need your help i have a sub woofer for which i'm confused to choose which amp to buy... can any one pls tell what should i look for while buying an amp..

my budget is 35k

THis is MY SUBWOOFER

GTO1204BP-D
Dual 12" Bandpass Enclosure
Specificationsmy choices right now are

The GTO601.1

Specificationsis amp enough to power the sub woofer at it's best...

my other choice is

The GTO1201.1
Specificationspls suggest what to buy any other company amp also is ok

my budget is 35k

redeye, GTO601.1 should be enough for you.
As u have asked for other brands i will also suggest u to have a look at audison,JL audio[slash series] and alpine amplifiers.

Look at Rockford Fosgate too, their amps are simply kickass.
JL will cost you a lot more but its again very good and worth it.
Any good amp can be tuned to sound like the way you want, SPL/SQL
So if you are into a balance of SQL/SPL typo, then look at Power Series RF amps also, they churn out a lot more than rated power at times even 45 to 50 % more and will blow JBL counterparts to bits but at a premium of cost and a little difficult to find in Bangalore everywhere.

Your budget for just the amp is 35 or totally ?

Even Hifonics have an Amp the Brutus 606 which is kickass too and costs a lot less than any RF amp coming very close in performance.

35k for amp only , and how do you choose i mean by specifications

should rms of sub woofer and the amp have to be close to each other
or
the watts of the amp should be near to the peak power watts of the sub woofer

RMS to RMS, I think your subs are Dual 4 Ohms subs, so Ideally you need to run them either at 4 Ohms or 1 Ohm, of which 4 Ohms is the better option.
Even if your subs are higher on RMS it's okay, but the amp shud not be run at a higher RMS rating than subs.
It's good if you can run the setup at 4 Ohms, tht way the amp runs cooler and more efficient and still churns out a good amount of power (if it's powerful), or find an amp that is 1 Ohm Stable,

Both JBL 601 and 1201 are not 1 Ohm Stable.

The GTO 1204-BPD is a bandpass box with 2 terminals on it. Each one is 4 ohms.

Both in parallel make 2 ohms.

aah, so the subs are single coil in there ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye
35k for amp only , and how do you choose i mean by specifications

should rms of sub woofer and the amp have to be close to each other
or
the watts of the amp should be near to the peak power watts of the sub woofer

Well... from what I've heard, for best results (regardless of budget, of course) you should choose an amp with output wattage in the upper two-thirds of the sub's maximum output wattage. If you get an amp as powerful as this, you should be able to keep the output (from the amp) to the sub safe (and optimum for the sub) by keeping the gain settings on the amp at a safe level. A little experimentation with some good cds of your favourite music will be required for this. From your choice of sub (dual bandpass) I take it you are a rap & hip-hop guy, right? If I'm right, you will definitely need to keep the gains safe 'cause that kind of music will definitely keep the sub busy.

Am I wrong, gurus?

let me answer your question specifically since it is specific.

I have heard the 1204BPD. It needs atleast 601.1 to drive it. It bangs with the 601.1 but It sounds much better, louder deeper with a 1201.1 driving it.

Hope this helps

Dhoom Responsibly.

Congratulations!
That Bandpass you've got for yourself is a great beast and possibly you're the first owner in India.

Let me suggest you to get JBL 1201.1 amp for this. Another option is Alpine 1001 which will be hard to find. (I hear that Alpine has some pieces left with them, PM me for details) Anything less, you're unfair to those subs.

Get a good installer to get the job done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
Congratulations!
That Bandpass you've got for yourself is a great beast and possibly you're the first owner in India.

Big Bassy Beast it is.. For sure. Here's the picture. It's got blue lights and all too lol

I don't know if he is the first owner though. I think the first purchased unit would be in New Delhi somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I don't know if he is the first owner though. I think the first purchased unit would be in New Delhi somewhere.

Gunbir should've thrown more light on this. But seems he is lost these days.
Sam, what's the best way to drag 2 ICEy Sardars back to this section?

The pic explains all. That's a big bassy beast for sure.
@Redeye. Which car have you chosen to plant this beast into?

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
Another option is Alpine 1001 which will be hard to find. (I hear that Alpine has some pieces left with them, PM me for details) Anything less, you're unfair to those subs.

I am unable to understand this, the subs have a combined power of 600 RMS and what Sam said is have two input terminals 4 Ohms each, so in Parallel it's 2 Ohms and series (for which the enclosure has to be opened) it's 8 Ohms,
now the MRD1001 is a 1000 RMS @ 2 Ohms amp , which will smoke the subs in time even if the gain is kept low, the amp does not need the gain to be high either to throw out 1000 RMS, and I have seen many installs with that amp and INDEED its a beast, so how does a 600 RMS pair of subs match a 1000 or a 1200 RMS amp ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueraven316
I am unable to understand this, the subs have a combined power of 600 RMS and what Sam said is have two input terminals 4 Ohms each, so in Parallel it's 2 Ohms and series (for which the enclosure has to be opened) it's 8 Ohms,
now the MRD1001 is a 1000 RMS @ 2 Ohms amp , which will smoke the subs in time even if the gain is kept low, the amp does not need the gain to be high either to throw out 1000 RMS, and I have seen many installs with that amp and INDEED its a beast, so how does a 600 RMS pair of subs match a 1000 or a 1200 RMS amp ??

blueraven... its the otherway around!!...
if you underpower, you have higher chances of smoking ur sub....
by underpowering means.... you have 600RMS sub and ur amp is only say....400RMS or so.... this means that... you can drive amp into clipping!!... by clipping , you are actually suppling more power to sub...(you need to google and see the graph for power supplied when an amp is clipped to understand better)... This way, its possible that you can fry the voice coil of the sub...(in prolonged clipping)... also its very hard to make out when the amp is clipping..
whereas, in the other case, if you carefully adjust the gains.... you are safe..... like hydrashok has said.. only upper 2/3rd.... that if you have 600 RMS sub, you can safely attach 1000 RMS amp to it..

regards,
ant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Big Bassy Beast it is.. For sure. Here's the picture. It's got blue lights and all too lol

oh.....i take my words back as i thought u have bought single sub but this beast has two subs in it,so u would need 1201.1 amp and not 600.1.

BTW is 600wrms is combined power of spk or its individual's?