Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2016, 20:43   #1
BHPian

Integrated audio systems with non-ICE functionality! Future issues?

Car infotainment systems have evolved to such an extent in the last five years that in some cars, you have to access the system even for such mundane tasks like controlling the a/c blower speed. But like all new gadgets, they have a short life and become redundant if OEM does not support it with software updates.

Also, if the whole system goes kaput, your car is crippled. If the part is unavailable due to new system being used by the manufacturer, you are stuck. This is more so in new generation luxury cars like Volvo S90, where everything is interconnected from the A/C to all wheel drive to infotainment system.

Already we have seen OEMs not sending timely security updates - let alone new Android version - even for flagship mobiles which are not even a year old. I feel infotainment system should only be for infotainment and essential items should not be routed through it.

What is your take on this, BHPians?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2017 at 11:55. Reason: Language
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st January 2017, 14:23   #2
BHPian

re: Integrated audio systems with non-ICE functionality! Future issues?

Infotainment technologies change rapidly than rest of the car. Users demand latest features like carplay, android auto and mirrorlink.
Right now many technology players are trying to secure their own pie in this space. Interesting to see that entry level cars are not behind.
Most of the car OEMs provide updates through SD cards etc, however they focus mainly on map updates than rest of the features.

Last edited by DieselDelight : 1st January 2017 at 14:25.
DieselDelight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:03   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Integrated audio systems with non-ICE functionality! Future issues?

Big screens are an interior designer's wet dream come true. On the one hand, car manufacturers want to add more functionality (reversing camera, parking sensor display, graphical air-con interface, digital owner's manual etc.) and on the other, they don't want to increase clutter or costs by much. That ICE touchscreen can incorporate all of this & more. And they're very cheap too.

The integration is only going to increase with Android Auto & Apple CarPlay. Personally, I love it as the smartphone is pretty much our communication & media center.

I don't see it as much of an issue in terms of reliability as head-units usually last at least 10 years in my experience. And there's really no hardware problem that can't be fixed by a good repair shop.

But yes, I agree with you that software updates should be more frequent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks