Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2006, 17:05   #1
BHPian

Have been using a Dashboard mounted LCD display Unit for a Year or so now and as far as my opinion goes it has made driving safer for me rather than otherwise. However I do not use it to watch Videos when I'm driving but more for the Playlist facility for the MP3 cds that I play. Earlier I had to stoop down and look at HU to get to my favourite songs and that meant my eyes off the road. Even if for a second you know how dangerous it is to do so at any given time.

So my 2 cents worth is that it is a safe equipment to have in your car, wonder what the rest of you feel about this.
Old 30th October 2006, 22:55   #2
BHPian

In my opinion ANYTHING that takes your eyes off the road while driving is dangerous, no matter how short the time span..Believe me, I speak from experience....:-(.

However, if you must browse through playlists while driving, I guess a large screen is 'relatively safer' than a small screen......again a larger screen would attract your attention more....ahhhhh never mind
Old 31st October 2006, 13:07   #3
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181
Have been using a Dashboard mounted LCD display Unit for a Year or so now and as far as my opinion goes it has made driving safer for me rather than otherwise. However I do not use it to watch Videos when I'm driving but more for the Playlist facility for the MP3 cds that I play.
Which Dashboard mounted LCD display Unit do you use ?
Old 31st October 2006, 13:47   #4
BHPian

I use a Daewoo Monitor which was purchased long time back
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

I too am considering a in dash monitor (motorised) only to be able to setup my DVD changer before a trip. monitors in the front are fine if you dont use when WHILE driving. The question is how many will resist the temptation?
Old 2nd November 2006, 15:33   #6
BHPian

Boss Navin, Trust me... Have been driving with this fitted for quite some time now and have not been majorly distracted by it... One reason being I always ensure whats playing is for the kids and not of my choice... Did around 2500 kms just before Diwlai with my family in tow but it was either cartoons.. or rhymes or some thing so that came on the Display... when the kids were done with it I made sure its music (mp3) and the thing I like about it the most is not needing to take my eyes of the road while driving cos its inline with your eye when you need it.... At nights however movies could be distracting cos of moving images... But I never do highways at Night and if I do there'd be music to help me concentrate... after all am 38 years old and eyesight aint what it used to be many years back
Old 2nd November 2006, 15:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

well, i have been having a LCD in dash for 5 months now & i am quite comfortable with it. i have some music video dvds which i play & when i get to a jam or signal where i have to wait for more than 90 secs, i switch on the screen. when my kids become adamant to watch nemo, then i play the nemo dvd & switch on the Zone x Zone feature in my player which will transfer the DVD sound to the headphones & i can still listen to music from the radio or the CD changer. this is a fantastic feature that i have found very useful for me.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd November 2006 at 15:45.
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

how much do these in dash monitors run? I want a motorised one so that it can be tucked away. Alpine is very expensive.
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
how much do these in dash monitors run? I want a motorised one so that it can be tucked away. Alpine is very expensive.
Well in Bangalore the basic Pioneer motorised dash monitors with DVD player start from 36 - 37k. Should be cheaper in mumbai.
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

wow! I can wait till they drop.
Old 4th November 2006, 20:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

yeah, drop they will. right now they are at unbeleivable prices. better to wait a couple of years by which time too, you really cannot expect it to drop below 20k.
Old 5th November 2006, 21:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

I expect them to drop to about 15K. I dont need a big brand even a Necvox will do. After all all I am doing is cueing up a DVD.
Old 5th November 2006, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

you are right, you might get necvox for that price, but the mechanism should be good to last you for a long time.
Old 6th November 2006, 10:13   #14
Team-BHP Support

the only necvox i saw was white. I am looking for a black one so that it is more discrete.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks