Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 04:30   #1

Infinite Baffle Subwoofer

Hello there, I was wondering if infinite baffle subwoofer installation is common in India?
The main emphasis on such installation is that you still retain your boot space whilst using your trunk area as usual, so in conclusion, you get bass you want in your car and that it remains practical to gain access to spare wheel and to use the trunk area as well.

I am currently using 2 x 15 inch Rockford Fosgate subwoofers in this configuration and although my car is a hatch back, (its a Subaru Impreza 2010 RS model) I still can access my boot area.

Currently I have a Phoenix Gold RX1100.1 amplifier powering them.

My trunk area has been sound deadened and MDF panels were made for the entire boot area to accommodate the bemoth subwoofers and to seal the front / back standing waves from cancelling out. My front components are Boston Acoustics Pro 6.4 components and rears are Rockford Co-ax speakers being powered by a Precision Power PPI PC450 amplifier. My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-9850BT which has time allignment and all the bells and whistles as I am aiming for a sound quality system, not booming bass!!

Please let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Infinite Baffle Subwoofer-1461503261961.jpg  

Infinite Baffle Subwoofer-1460793756928.jpg  

DrBoom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 10:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Infinite Baffle Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoom View Post
Hello there, I was wondering if infinite baffle subwoofer installation is common in India?
The main emphasis on such installation is that you still retain your boot space whilst using your trunk area as usual, so in conclusion, you get bass you want in your car and that it remains practical to gain access to spare wheel and to use the trunk area as well.

I am currently using 2 x 15 inch Rockford Fosgate subwoofers in this configuration and although my car is a hatch back, (its a Subaru Impreza 2010 RS model) I still can access my boot area.

Currently I have a Phoenix Gold RX1100.1 amplifier powering them.

My trunk area has been sound deadened and MDF panels were made for the entire boot area to accommodate the bemoth subwoofers and to seal the front / back standing waves from cancelling out. My front components are Boston Acoustics Pro 6.4 components and rears are Rockford Co-ax speakers being powered by a Precision Power PPI PC450 amplifier. My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-9850BT which has time allignment and all the bells and whistles as I am aiming for a sound quality system, not booming bass!!

Please let me know your thoughts.
My first car subwoofer in India was an IB. You have listed the challenges of IB pretty well (you have to seal the trunk area to prevent cancellation). This is even more difficult in a hatchback because the rear deck is acoustically very porous.

Eventually I tore the IB out and built a TL in the trunk of my Hindustan Motors Contessa ISZ. The car was not my primary car so I did not need the trunk for baggage.

If you are looking for tight bass IB might be the toughest option to use. Sealed is the easiest.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 11:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think practically an IB sub will approximate to an open baffle, unless your enclosure seals are perfect. You will need to apply equalization depending on your baffle size and shape to get a flat response, and possibly a lot of power

Have Fun! http://www.linkwitzlab.com/models.htm

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th April 2017 at 11:20.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 13:38   #4
BHPian

My .02 Cents on this,

Why not go for the following:
* Install a slim Sub in hatch door. You should be able to get decent volume by building enclosure out of Fiberglass.
* Consider Isobaric configuration to reduce enclosure volume (better if you can use slim sub).
* Build an enclosure inside your spare tire to optimize space utilization. I had partially built something like this in the past. Will post photos if interested.

Cheers,
Venki
venki7744 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:55   #5

I tell you once you go IB subwoofer setup, you will never return to a boxed subwoofer. If you asked why? Its because of the slow roll off and where you actually feel the subwoofer, not only hear it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks