Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 20:36   #1
BHPian

OKay, now dont throw brickbat at me. I was reasding on the various fills for Sub enclosure and somethign stuck me.

Reliance has Recron fiberfill pillows. Now can this be stuffed inside the Sub enclosure as sound absorbing material to get the punch right?

Am I or ?
http://www.ril.com/html/business/py_ff_know.html

I am thinking of this for my Ported sub enclosure which has Pion TS-W306C powered by Pion 7200 mono amp.

Cheers!
Ram
Old 31st October 2006, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram
OKay, now dont throw brickbat at me. I was reasding on the various fills for Sub enclosure and somethign stuck me.

Reliance has Recron fiberfill pillows. Now can this be stuffed inside the Sub enclosure as sound absorbing material to get the punch right?

Am I or ?
http://www.ril.com/html/business/py_ff_know.html

I am thinking of this for my Ported sub enclosure which has Pion TS-W306C powered by Pion 7200 mono amp.

Cheers!
Ram
i wont not recommend it in a ported box as it will come out of the port as the air is displaced by the sub for this purpose use felt or foam with is not lose made like the above stuff.....also the fibre fill is very light in property which is not good for the damping of sound. for damping heavy stuff is used as it can absorb sound.....

the above fibre fill can be used if it is used by make pads with net covering them which will not allow the fibre to get lose....
Old 31st October 2006, 23:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
also the fibre fill is very light in property which is not good for the damping of sound. for damping heavy stuff is used as it can absorb sound.....
LBM,

Which heavy stuff ?
Shed some light because i have made another sub box for innova and want to fill with some damping to get tight bass.

Mugen.
Old 1st November 2006, 10:30   #4
BHPian

Mugen,u can use wurth,fonomat,dynamat regular or dynamat extreme.Later is the most expensive but most effective too.I used it to damp door panels of my car and installation is also very easy.
Old 1st November 2006, 12:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, he is talking about sound damping inside his wooden box. There is no need to use dynamat extreme inside his wooden box.
Old 1st November 2006, 13:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Mugen,u can use wurth,fonomat,dynamat regular or dynamat extreme.Later is the most expensive but most effective too.I used it to damp door panels of my car and installation is also very easy.
doc pahji these above stuffs are used in places where we have to increase the weight of the wall on which the speaker is installed. or we can say that at that place when a driver playes lower frequency which inturn make the panel vibrate because of light weight. as the panel achives it resonat freq which causes the vibration.

for stuffing the box the fibre fill is fine till it is a sealed box not work good in ported as it will come out..

other enclousre filler are...

normal cotton used in homes....glasswool pads ( not recommended for ported box).....felt sheets (namda in hindi)....
Old 1st November 2006, 14:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Whats the best fill material for a bass tube?? the damn thingy jars when the bass is too high . Any thoughts Audio guru's?
Old 1st November 2006, 14:35   #8
BHPian

LBM:
What do you suggest for the ported box? ANy particular foam, i mean thickness etc or can we use the foam layers available with the bedding guys?

Also, can I need the recron fibre and use inside the box for the ported box?
Old 1st November 2006, 15:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

in a box about 2-3 inch thick layer on 5 side is required to get best result....or about 40 - 60 % of the box should be filled......
Old 1st November 2006, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Whats the best fill material for a bass tube?? the damn thingy jars when the bass is too high . Any thoughts Audio guru's?
Fill is not intended to prevent jarring. What bass tube are you using? Check if something's loose, or whether it's cone distortion that you hear.
Old 1st November 2006, 18:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Doc, he is talking about sound damping inside his wooden box. There is no need to use dynamat extreme inside his wooden box.
oh....whats happening to me?

Actually i typed my answer after abt 30min of clicking 'reply' option.

coming to topic,Sam does any box [ported/sealed] will need damping if made properly of 3/4" MDF wood?
I dont think so...
Old 1st November 2006, 21:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
in a box about 2-3 inch thick layer on 5 side is required to get best result....or about 40 - 60 % of the box should be filled......
LBM: Any particular fill or foam thats best?
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... This is something I need to know about too.

1) Why exactly do we need to fill the box? To damp/capture the rear bass waves? Or some other reason?

2) Does a filled/damped box (ported or sealed) make a substantial difference in the bass output?

3) What kind of difference? Tighter Bass? Deeper Bass?

Gurus, pleeeeease?
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:11   #14
BHPian

I found this interesting view by Richard Clark (considered a guru by some...):

Stuffing a box can make it look a little larger. It changes the box interior from a condition called adiabatic to isothermal. This is because the energy that is normally stored in the air spring in the box is converted into heat and lost from the system. Since the air pushes less on the speaker, the speaker "thinks" the box must be larger. The increase in size is really nominal and really doesn't make as much difference as everyone gives it credit for. The actual material used for stuffing doesn't make much difference either. Fiberglass, lambs wool, fiberfill. an old blanket, will all make about the same amount of difference. As for standing waves the facts here will come as a surprise. The practice of stuffing boxes really came as a result of using woofers into the midrange (400hz to 2khz) in two and three way home systems. In these systems standing waves were a real problem and serious colorations were the result. In car audio where we never use woofers above 100 hz it is not a problem. A standing wave cannot form inside a box below 100 hz if it's longest dimension is less than a couple of feet. Of course this applies even more at 50 or 20 Hz! Actually installers stuff boxes because they have been taught to do so. They rarely understand the physics behind the process and rarely question it because it seems logical. The fact is that a awful lot of boxes get stuffed for no good reason.

Courtesy:
http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/index.php

This makes me think, Dont waste the money...put I just gonna try wiht a reliance recron fiber and see, afterall its just 100rs :-)
Old 2nd November 2006, 13:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys you seem to be confusing sound deading (dymant and co) with sound damping (fiberfill and co). an 19/25mm MDF box needs little deading but depending on the woofer used and tuning can use some sound damping. Usually you should use about 1 lb per cu. ft. Reliance fiberfill is nice as it does not itch when handled. Plain old fiberglass can itch like crazy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks