Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 18:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system

Ford has added five new apps to its SYNC infotainment systems in India. While four of these are new additions, the fifth one is an updated version of an existing app on the Ford SYNC AppLink platform.

The new additions include music streaming service provider Hungama, news aggregator InShorts, weather forecast app AccuWeather and Iot-based parking location app Pparke. Meanwhile, the MapMyIndia app has been updated to include new voice and textual directions to your destination.

Ford SYNC is an in-car connectivity platform which allows users to connect their smartphones to the infotainment system in their Ford car. Once connected, users can access various features of their phone through the display screen of the infotainment system.

Additionally, the SYNC AppLink platform allows smartphone app developers to integrate their apps onto the SYNC infotainment system which can then be controlled through the steering wheel controls and voice commands. SYNC AppLink is available throughout Ford India's vehicle portfolio - Figo, Aspire, EcoSport, Endeavour and Mustang.

Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-unnamed.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system

Figo Titanium+ owner here. When I login into the Ford India page, and click on Sync update, and generate the update link, the below error keeps coming.

Would request other Ford owners to try it out and post here on the scenario they are facing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-untitled.jpg  

bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Figo Titanium+ owner here. When I login into the Ford India page, and click on Sync update, and generate the update link, the below error keeps coming.

Would request other Ford owners to try it out and post here on the scenario they are facing.
v5.9 is the latest Sync version for the Figo Titanium+ and if your car came with v5.9, it won't let you download any update. Which version is yours? Also, keep in mind that there's an advanced version of Sync on the Endeavour.(Sync 1 on the Figo/Aspire/Ecosport and Sync 2 or 3 on the Endeavour)

This is what Ford India Owners page displays when I log in.
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-vin.jpg

My car (2016 Figo 1.2 Titanium+) came with v5.8 and I had updated the Sync s/w to v5.9, downloading the update from Ford India Owners Page.Link:. Since then, the Ford India Owners page underwent an upgrade and the interface changed a bit.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th May 2017 at 14:54.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 20:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
I had this problem when there was a minor Sync update a few months back.

But my car recently went for the second free service and now the Sync profile says my car is updated with the latest version. Perhaps, the A.S.S. did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
v5.9 is the latest Sync version for the Figo Titanium+ and if your car came with v5.9, it won't let you download any update. Which version is yours?
Same, 5.9 is what it says is the latest.

Funnily, the news says EcoSport is part of the update.

However, Ford's website isn't updated yet.

https://www.india.ford.com/owner/syn...-apps-applink/
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 14:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I had this problem when there was a minor Sync update a few months back.

But my car recently went for the second free service and now the Sync profile says my car is updated with the latest version. Perhaps, the A.S.S. did it.
I remember having trouble downloading the v5.9 update package with Google Chrome. When I tried downloading with MS Edge, it downloaded the update.Could have been a browser issue with their website.

Quote:
Same, 5.9 is what it says is the latest.

Funnily, the news says EcoSport is part of the update.

However, Ford's website isn't updated yet.

https://www.india.ford.com/owner/syn...-apps-applink/
I think the apps were updated to make them compatible with Sync and the app developers may have collaborated with Ford in this regard. There was no update for Sync recently(atleast for Sync 1 on the Figo Titanium+). The last update I downloaded (v5.9) was in mid-2016. The updates therefore would have been to the apps to make them compatible with Sync, than an update to Sync system itself.

Until recently, the MapmyIndia app when accessed through Sync, would say "Location not found" with a "Reset Sync" message and then it would crash (even after switching on GPS, mobile data on my phone and re-pairing my android phone with Sync).

I updated the MMI app yesterday and also downloaded Accuweather, Hungama, InShorts and Pparke apps. Out of these four apps, only Accuweather showed up as additional app, inspite of asking Sync to search for new apps multiple number of times (ESPNCricinfo, Glympse, MapmyIndia were already working with Sync). Those apps which did not show up on the list may work only with advanced version of Sync available on the Endeavor and Mustang and probably require a touchscreen interface).
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170525_190148914.jpg

Accuweather (shows weather predictions for your city based on your GPS location - Mangalore in my case):
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170525_190354279.jpg

The MapmyIndia app now has an option to guide you (through voice) to your destination (POI based - Hotels, Religious places etc) but no moving map display on the Sync screen (understandably so).
I am not sure if the voice(Samantha, as Ford likes to call it) will give you directions (turns, head straight etc) in real time based on reading the GPS location from the phone. I need to explore this and will post about it later.
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170525_190414254.jpg

Current Location:
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170525_190433504.jpg

Searching for a nearby POIs (3-star hotels in this case)
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170525_190553564.jpg

Nearby 3-star hotels
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170525_190622178.jpg

Directions to the hotel from the current location[audio + text(turn left, turn right etc)]
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_20170526_110126216.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 26th May 2017 at 14:11.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 14:14   #6
BANNED

Does anybody have an Idea whether the Ecosport that came at Launch without the Applink can be updated to get applink? I have a September 2013 model with SYNC
Old 26th May 2017, 15:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Does anybody have an Idea whether the Ecosport that came at Launch without the Applink can be updated to get applink? I have a September 2013 model with SYNC

As far as I remember the first Ford in India to get app link support was the Ford Fiesta 2014 when ford said that the then available ecosport system will not support applink. So I don't think the 2013 models will b compatible with it. Tough luck
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

MapmyIndia Navigation with Sync 1 on Figo

Unfortunately for the MMI Navigation app on SYNC 1, the directions for Navigation through voice are not in real time. Unlike navigation on Google maps or MMI Navigator, Sync does not tell you about the turn points/directions in real time based on your current location i.e it does not track your current location to tell you about the directions to your chosen destination.

It just shows you the directions via text on the Sync screen & voice and on the map in the MMI mobile phone app. You have to say "Next" or "Previous" to know about the previous or next directions to your destination. I really wish they do something to make the direction instructions to spell out in real time based on the GPS location.

The Sync screen showing directions (to Panambur Beach,Mangalore based on my current location):
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-mmi-navi.jpg

MMI screen on the Mobile phone app when used trough Sync (for a different destination though)
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-scree_1.jpg
Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-scree_2.jpg

A good effort nonetheless considering Sync 1's limitations and I am happy that Ford is not forgetting its old Sync 1 customers (after the introduction of advanced Sync versions in the Endeavor & Mustang).

Last edited by skanchan95 : 27th May 2017 at 12:20.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 19:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: MapmyIndia Navigation with Sync 1 on Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
A good effort nonetheless considering Sync 1's limitations and I am happy that Ford is not forgetting its old Sync 1 customers (after the introduction of advanced Sync versions in the Endeavor & Mustang).
I assume you have an Android?

Sync Applink works differently for iOS and Android.

There are no updates on my car;

Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_0546.jpg

Pressing any of these buttons does nothing

Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_0548.jpg

Neither of these buttons does anything

Ford adds five new apps to its SYNC infotainment system-img_0549.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are no updates on my car;
Yes, I have an Android phone.

The iOS apps which were compatible prior to this announcement (cricinfo, glympse) , do they work? Or was app link never compatible with iOS?

Even with android, Hungama and Inshorts app do not seem to work with SYNC 1.
Old 15th September 2017, 11:08   #11

Quote:

Do you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth or USB? Applink only works on the iPhone while connected through USB.
Old 15th September 2017, 11:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryangel View Post
Do you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth or USB? Applink only works on the iPhone while connected through USB.
Yep, tried that as well after skanchan95 suggested so.

Doesn't look much of a value add anyway so not too bothered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks