Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 23:02   #16
BHPian

In a good system the effect of a geq may not be so noticeable and one may prefer flat however in my opinion without it the sound also becomes flat and lacks charcter.
Every speaker has its strengths and weaknesses and I don't think there is any which is strong in every aspect ,also there comes the fact that spekers produce a wide array of sounds and u are not able to hear all of them so why waste power there as mentioned earlier.Imho a geq can unlock the hidden potential of any system.for example is getting the perfect setup only a matter of assembling it only(which is not a easy task though)>you can beat far expensive sytems than yours with good geq setting.Did jbl's super loud 141 db palio only have the whole stock of every jbl component crammed in to the top.No it would have involved finetuning as well to get such a deafness-inducing super loud car.Geq-for those with slightly bad config and exceedingly god configs a must Again cant we have a tutorial so as to how to adjust the geq for different genre's of music.t
Old 14th November 2006, 10:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
The other problem is that I have so much music, it's impossible for any of the existing iPods to help me lug it around. In fact, I have to distribute my mp3 files over 2 comps. (Both have nearly 240 GB in hard drives.) Plus, about 300 CDs of good original music copied onto CD-R Digital Audio discs using a NAD 660 CD recorder. I would never rip those.
When do get teh time to listen to all that music.

Lets see....240GB lossless (not MP3 but FLAC etc...) would mean about 800 hrs of music. then the 300 CDs (I use a Marantz DR 6000) at about 45 min per CD adds another 225 hrs or so. Add a few more (200-250) original CDs you must have and you got about 1200 hrs of music. That means you can listen to lusic for 50 days non-stop jsut to listen to all your music once!

Now this is assuming that your hard disks have lossless if they have MP3 even at 256k VBR it would mean that your hard disks alone have about 2000hrs of music!

BTW 200Gb ipod will be around by about 2009. By which time you will have 1000GB of music. So the best way I think would be to roll your own portable music player.

You can get a 2.5" 200GB hard drive today. OS and software will consume 10GB. You'll need to reserve another 10GB for defragmenting so you'll get a net of 180GB. Enough for 75% of all the stuff on your hard disk. 2 of these will more than cover you for the future or you can rip your 500CDs as well on the 2nd Hard drive.

Now using a Music Server software you can run these into your car audio system. Ankur's carputer is more than capable of handling this task.
Old 15th November 2006, 04:24   #18
BHPian

I just read what B&T, Navinji, rsjaurr and the others said here about the EQ settings and especially that all Pioneers have a three band EQ. What does one suggest for the Poineer HUs like the 9650 and 8650 which have parametric EQs and that can also run in the 2-way crossover network mode to setup a distinct sound.

I have a 9650 and use all the options available (EQ, Loud, Digital BBE, all frequency settings) trying to make it sound to my liking but somehow I find myself fiddling with everything as I've yet to settle down to a 'preferred' setting.

How does one go about setting up a HU with such capabilities? Is the 2-way crossover network something that should be done? HELP!
Old 15th November 2006, 04:50   #19
Ram
Senior - BHPian

I've noticed that when I'm driving alone, I like to have louder high frequencies. However when I have company in the car and we're carrying on a light conversation, I have to turn down the high frequencies, while the louder low frequencies don't bother us much (On some songs they actually soothe!)

Then again, having heard the original vinyl record, I sometimes disagree with the equalization in an MP3, moreso in the remixes.

So changing the equalizer settings depends on the quality of sound desired at a particular time -- a matter of preferences and taste which change from time to time depending on the situation.
Old 15th November 2006, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja
What does one suggest for the Poineer HUs like the 9650 and 8650 which have parametric EQs and that can also run in the 2-way crossover network mode to setup a distinct sound.
hey are you sure of this?... Higher model Pioneers doesnt have Parametric EQ, they have graphic EQ. I think(read somewhere) 9650 has a 13 band graphic EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja
I have a 9650 and use all the options available (EQ, Loud, Digital BBE, all frequency settings) trying to make it sound to my liking but somehow I find myself fiddling with everything as I've yet to settle down to a 'preferred' setting.
This again is a very personal thing, my setting may not suit yours and your setting may not suit me...
for eg. I like bass in every sound tracks, but my folks at home dont like that settings. so whenever they enter into my car, i raise the treble and lower the bass(They like it that way)....
so I would say, only solution for you is to do a trial and error.....

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 15th November 2006 at 13:26.
Old 15th November 2006, 23:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
I've noticed that when I'm driving alone, I like to have louder high frequencies. However when I have company in the car and we're carrying on a light conversation, I have to turn down the high frequencies, while the louder low frequencies don't bother us much (On some songs they actually soothe!)
All I can make of this is that you and your pals have some really low frequency rumbling voices that are collectively out of phase with the bass playing in your car. Due to the cancellation of bass, the level of treble appears to be high hence you have to cut it out. I'm just joking in case you didn't get the drift by now.

I have never come across someone experiencing a phenomenon like you, but I do know of people who turn up the treble a notch when the noise floor is a bit high, example: windows rolled down, or excessive road noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Then again, having heard the original vinyl record, I sometimes disagree with the equalization in an MP3, moreso in the remixes.
MP3s are not equalized. Conversely, equalization doesnt help mp3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup
In a good system the effect of a geq may not be so noticeable and one may prefer flat however in my opinion without it the sound also becomes flat and lacks charcter
If the music sounds flat and without charachter without eq, maybe it was intended to be flat when recorded by the rather charachterless musician? If it was some nice lively music when recorded, and it still sounds flat without equalization, you either have a bad rip of the original, or you're playing it through some shoddy equipment, or it aint set up properly. One should go through this list first before applying equalization.

Quote:
spekers produce a wide array of sounds and u are not able to hear all of them so why waste power there as mentioned earlier.
Which wide array of sounds that speakers produce are we not able to hear?? In fact I would think there is a small array of sounds that we can hear, that some speakers fail to produce.

Quote:
Did jbl's super loud 141 db palio only have the whole stock of every jbl component crammed in to the top.No it would have involved finetuning as well to get such a deafness-inducing super loud car.
No. They put the stuff in best they could. Then Sam swung by in a cape, waved his wand, and they clocked 141. Sam can do anything. We do not question his achievements with primitive theories like physics and electronics.

But seriously, you cannot question equalization in a pure SPL system/ show car. SPL is not about being sensible. The JBL car with an average 141dB spl must have had like an average of about 141.5 in the bass and 100dB in the highs.
Old 15th November 2006, 23:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
When do get teh time to listen to all that music.
At work, where else? I work for an audio company, remember?

Quote:
Lets see....240GB lossless (not MP3 but FLAC etc...) would mean about 800 hrs of music.
Sir, I meant 2 pcs with 240 GB each. Thats 480 GB, total hard disk capacity, not just reserved for songs. If I leave out the OS, programs and some friskies, we'd be talking about 300 GB of music. No lossless on the PCs, all downloads and donations from friends. According to my calculations, that's about 5000 hours of music.

Quote:
then the 300 CDs (I use a Marantz DR 6000) at about 45 min per CD adds another 225 hrs or so. Add a few more (200-250) original CDs you must have and you got about 1200 hrs of music.
I don't have no original CDs. However, I have very kind friends who travel the world's cd stores, scour the internet for online cd shopping, have worked at Virgin stores abroad and availed huge discounts, or are on first name basis with the staff (and their wives) at Rhythm House, and are kind enough to help me make full use of my NAD CD Recorder. I love them. I seriously havent bought much original music. I couldn't afford them when I was a bit younger, and I discovered Napster and the NAD C660 before the year 2000. Total listening hours in this section = 300 hours approx

Quote:
That means you can listen to lusic for 50 days non-stop jsut to listen to all your music once!
Totally about 5300 hours. 220 days. But it's not like I started listening to all the music yesterday.

Quote:
Now this is assuming that your hard disks have lossless if they have MP3 even at 256k VBR it would mean that your hard disks alone have about 2000hrs of music!
Yeah, thats closer. Not much is 256 VBR, just a little bit.

Quote:
BTW 200Gb ipod will be around by about 2009. By which time you will have 1000GB of music. So the best way I think would be to roll your own portable music player.
The rate at which my music is expanding has slowed down tremendously over the past 1 year, so I would doubt 1000 GB. I also spin less often, so the quest for newer club music is curtailed.

Quote:
You can get a 2.5" 200GB hard drive today. OS and software will consume 10GB. You'll need to reserve another 10GB for defragmenting so you'll get a net of 180GB. Enough for 75% of all the stuff on your hard disk. 2 of these will more than cover you for the future or you can rip your 500CDs as well on the 2nd Hard drive.

Now using a Music Server software you can run these into your car audio system. Ankur's carputer is more than capable of handling this task.
I need a big hard drive so that I can backup all my music and free space on my pcs, because I learn that the HDDs on the PC cannot be expanded further. What's a 2.5" HD? I don't mind a physically larger HDD if it can be cheaper and/ or have larger storage capacity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks