Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:58   #1
BHPian

BMW 525i E60 TV module gone, and Bluetooth too. Now what?

I have a 2009 model BMW 525i E60 car which has an inbuilt TV Tuner. As nice it sounds to have in the car, I have rarely used it over the past 7 years and don't intend to use it in future, but I have a problem.

The TV Tuner module (located in the Boot of the car) malfunctioned sometime back and is not working.

Doesn't matter since I don't use it? Right.

Wrong.

What has happened is that the TV module malfunction has rendered the CD Player and Bluetooth also useless since power is supplied to these modules through the TV module. (at least that is what the dealership says.)

Now, I really need Bluetooth to work because of hands-free operations. It is a must-have in my car and the only way to get it to work is to install a new TV module costing, wait for it... Rs. 2 Lac+.

I need your help in finding a solution which could bypass the TV tuner and activate Bluetooth module (I also don't care about the CD player, who has CDs anyways!) or a retrofit TV module which is cheaper to install.

So, anyone who has faced a similar issue or has knowledge of BMW Electronics and Entertainment system wiring, please help!

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2017 at 11:15. Reason: Typos
Old 4th August 2017, 11:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 525i E60 TV module gone, and Bluetooth too. Now what?

Two options.

1. Find the part number and order from here (Indian) or here (UK).

2. Update your head-unit - link.

Either option will work out far cheaper than the ridiculous quote provided by the dealer.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

That doesn't sound right. I don't think the TV module failing should stop all the other functions from working. Infact if the TV module fails it should only stop the TV function. That's based on my knowledge of how the newer Bimmers work, and I doubt this should be different.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
I have a 2009 model BMW 525i E60 car which has an inbuilt TV Tuner....

Now, I really need Bluetooth to work because of hands-free operations.
As a simple solution for the stop-gap until this is sorted, please buy a handsfree bluetooth kit.

There are lot of companies, inlcuding a review of the Tantra BT kit in Team-BHP by one member. This will help in making and receiving calls for the time being through the head unit's aux speaker output.

Just my two cents for a temporary solution. Hope this helps.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Old 11th August 2017, 16:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
That doesn't sound right. I don't think the TV module failing should stop all the other functions from working. Infact if the TV module fails it should only stop the TV function. That's based on my knowledge of how the newer Bimmers work, and I doubt this should be different.
The explanation given by dealership staff is that TV Module, Bluetooth Module and CD Player Module are linked in series i.e power passes through one module to reach the next module. Now, TV Module seems to be the first in the row therefore closing out the other 2 modules.

They even showed it to me on the vehicle diagnostic software where all three modules showed up in yellow while rest of electronics showed in Green.

Now, I feel there should be a way to bypass TV Module and supply power to other modules but don't want to risk using help of someone not well versed with BMW electronics.
Old 11th August 2017, 19:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
I need your help in finding a solution which could bypass the TV tuner and activate Bluetooth module
Akhilesh,
Not 100% sure but I believe you can bypass any component using a fiber optic loop in the BMW so that rest of the modules which do not have issues work. Please check on the net for the fiber optic loop.
Old 13th August 2017, 22:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Akhilesh,
Not 100% sure but I believe you can bypass any component using a fiber optic loop in the BMW so that rest of the modules which do not have issues work. Please check on the net for the fiber optic loop.
Fibre optic is for the data, and not the power as far as I know. But yes, even if he manages to power the other modules separately, he will need a fibre optic loop to make everything function. Or he can power the other modules separately which leaving the spoilt tv module in its place thereby removing the need for a fibre optic loop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks