Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 23:37   #1

Ola Play-like headunit for my car?

Dear folks of Team-BHP,

I took an ola play ride today and couldn't help but wonder if we could buy the Ola Play Head Unit for our personal vehicles (Maybe not the exact same one, but something similar).

The screen size is pretty interesting, it almost makes the HU look like the Tesla Model 3! Maps look tremendous on it.

The Head Unit is built on and Android tablet with FM radio and cellular functionality with WiFi. If we can hook it up to an OBD device, this could very well become one of the best Head Units in the market.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention, the kind driver said the tablet make was Lenovo but I'm not sure what brand the Head Unit is. He also said it costs ~30K INR.

I will update this thread as I get more info. I wanted to get your inputs about what you feel about it and any more info that you guys can share.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Ola Play-like headunit for my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashscool View Post
Dear folks of Team-BHP,

I took an ola play ride today and couldn't help but wonder if we could buy the Ola Play Head Unit for our personal vehicles (Maybe not the exact same one, but something similar).
I believe this HU is locked in with OLA registered drivers only.

Since I do not use OLA can you please post a picture of it.

Last edited by navin : 30th August 2017 at 14:58.
Old 30th August 2017, 15:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I will update this thread as I get more info. I wanted to get your inputs about what you feel about it and any more info that you guys can share.
I think getting an Android Head unit with the largest screen size available will be the most comparable setup compared to what is on Ola play. However, excuse me if I am missing something really unique that the Ola Play ICE offers. I havent travelled in one but have seen numerous cabs and most of them display a media window or google maps in Full screen. I think an Android HU will provide all the required functionalities. Which car do you want this in?
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I believe this HU is locked in with OLA registered drivers only.

Since I do not use OLA can you please post a picture of it.
Here is the link to an image, the HU you see next to the driver is the older HU. The new HU is much bigger and is seen in the Swift Dzire Ola play cars.

https://i0.wp.com/anbuboban.com/wp-c...elect-Anbu.jpg

Ola Play-like headunit for my car?-chennaiolaplayolaselectanbu.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 18:10. Reason: uploading image :)
ashscool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think getting an Android Head unit with the largest screen size available will be the most comparable setup compared to what is on Ola play. However, excuse me if I am missing something really unique that the Ola Play ICE offers. I havent travelled in one but have seen numerous cabs and most of them display a media window or google maps in Full screen. I think an Android HU will provide all the required functionalities. Which car do you want this in?
It seems like they have multiple models(small and big). The one in Swift Dzire is much larger and is a fully functional android HU with a large screen. I am sure they are using an MDM (Mobile Device Management) provider to lock the device into a few apps and not show all the device settings.

I intend to put this in my Dzire, however I am looking for something similar to thee large screen model. The screen actually protrudes out a bit and covers a larger area. I wish I had a picture to show you.
ashscool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It seems like they have multiple models(small and big). The one in Swift Dzire is much larger and is a fully functional android HU with a large screen. I am sure they are using an MDM (Mobile Device Management) provider to lock the device into a few apps and not show all the device settings.

I intend to put this in my Dzire, however I am looking for something similar to thee large screen model. The screen actually protrudes out a bit and covers a larger area. I wish I had a picture to show you.
I have seen the one in the Dzire and Xcent. As you say, the screen is big and protrudes out. However, IMO this looks ugly. Especially in the xcent, it looks like a head unit which has not been screwed in. Unless you really want to have such a big screen, I would still suggest any android head unit.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 17:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear folks of Team-BHP,

The screen size is pretty interesting, it almost makes the HU look like the Tesla Model 3! Maps look tremendous on it.

The Head Unit is built on and Android tablet with FM radio and cellular functionality with WiFi. If we can hook it up to an OBD device, this could very well become one of the best Head Units in the market.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention, the kind driver said the tablet make was Lenovo but I'm not sure what brand the Head Unit is. He also said it costs ~30K INR.

What is the benefit of buying an Ola tablet?
Does it really offer any benefit over standard tablets available in the market?

It is better to buy lenovo tablets available at 10-15K and install them using mounts available on ebay/alibaba/amazon.

You can sync the tablet with the HU using bluetooth or Android/Apple technologies (depends on the HU).
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 17:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
What is the benefit of buying an Ola tablet?
Does it really offer any benefit over standard tablets available in the market?

It is better to buy lenovo tablets available at 10-15K and install them using mounts available on ebay/alibaba/amazon.

You can sync the tablet with the HU using bluetooth or Android/Apple technologies (depends on the HU).
Hi abhishek46, Its not the Ola tablet but the Head Unit that I am interested in. I don't want the Ola one, but something similar. It is an Android HU with a big screen that fit into a 2Din slot.
ashscool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 18:25   #9
BHPian

Re: Ola Play-like headunit for my car?

Quote:
Hi abhishek46, Its not the Ola tablet but the Head Unit that I am interested in. I don't want the Ola one, but something similar. It is an Android HU with a big screen that fit into a 2Din slot.
I rode a Ola play sometime back but didn;t notice any Head Unit. Maybe it is fitted only on a few cars as a pilot. Do you have any pics of it? It will be interesting to see how it looked like.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 21:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think its a Android HU - from what i have seen its another tablet which is held in place by a proper mount. Not a difficult task to do. The only difference would be the specific App which is developed by Ola to act as HU interface.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 22:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I dont think its a Android HU - from what i have seen its another tablet which is held in place by a proper mount. Not a difficult task to do. The only difference would be the specific App which is developed by Ola to act as HU interface.
If its a tablet hooked up to the HU area of the car then how is the audo routed to the car speakers without having to plug in an aux cable to the headphone jack or having a charger fixed to it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks