Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2006, 19:10   #1

Howdy people,

I installed a Pioneer 5850 in my car. I'm wondering how i can get an Ipod working with it without buying anything expensive.

I did go through this site and read that i would need to buy an iTrip, but that again would be costly.

Any inputs please....

Cheers
Old 14th November 2006, 19:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, don't buy an iTrip. The output over FM is baaaaaad! I was foolish enough to buy one when I bought my iPod 2 years back. I used it once or twice, and have never used it since. It used to be 5.2K then. Dunno how much now. If you can spend 3.5k, you should be able to get a proper pioneer iPod interface. It will charge your iPod as you use it, and you will be able to control it from your HU. And the sound will be as good as regular mp3 cd.

For the cheapest option, get a good MX brand stereo-to-rca cable and get the rca end connected to your HU's aux in. The sound will be as good as the interface. Only, you'll need to work directly on the iPod, and you'll need to charge it separately. The best quality MX runs to 250/-. I'm using one now for the same purpose. You'll also get the same type of cable at prices from 25/- onwards from any electronics store.

Last edited by hydrashok : 14th November 2006 at 19:39.
Old 14th November 2006, 20:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
If you can spend 3.5k, you should be able to get a proper pioneer iPod interface.
EDIT: Buddy, I think the pio interface runs to 5.5k, not 3.5k. Sorry 'bout that :-)
Old 14th November 2006, 21:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Most ipod cables offer limited control over the ipod. For many of us it is enough. For those who want more control and have deeper pockects there are products like Harman Kardon's Drive and Play.
Old 14th November 2006, 21:09   #5
BHPian

A Simple way, but with a little loss of quality is, you can buy a 3.5mm Jack to Tape converter. I just bought 1 today, for 250 Rs. Theres a lil' tape hiss, but its livable with.

Its a temp. solution until I get my Car Audio fully done..
Old 14th November 2006, 21:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

You have two options.

1) DIY cheap project Suggested by hydrashok.

2) Get an Ipod CDIB100II adapter for 5.5K. You can browse songs from HU and ipod will be charged via same cable. But Does 5850 Ipod Ready ??
Old 15th November 2006, 12:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1tya
A Simple way, but with a little loss of quality is, you can buy a 3.5mm Jack to Tape converter. I just bought 1 today, for 250 Rs. Theres a lil' tape hiss, but its livable with.

Its a temp. solution until I get my Car Audio fully done..
Isn't that what hydrashok is talking about ? are you saying there is a hissing sound in it ? hydrashok, please clarify .
Old 15th November 2006, 21:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nope, e_l. Ad1tya got a 3.5mm Jack to Tape converter. That is, there is a dummy cassette thingy at one end and a regular 3.5mm jack at the other. The 3.5mm jack goes into the iPod and the cassette-thing goes into the tape deck. This is not what I was talking about.

I was talking about a 3.5mm jack to RCA connector. The 3.5mm jack goes into the iPod, and the RCA jacks go into the HU's AUX-in. No loss of SQ whatever. I'd recommend this anytime.

I'd used Ad1tya's setup with a Discman back in the days of yore :-) (OK, 4 years back). It works ok, except for the hiss when you turn the volume up. And if the cassette thing is of bad quality, the twin hub things that turn (the gear-like things) make a big racket when they turn. Used to drive me mad and made me get my first CD Changer.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

hows to active the aux-in (6850 HU)
Old 18th January 2007, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Go to initial setting menu by pressing audio or function button for more than two sec...with the HU being OFF...there wil be an AUX option..turn it on by pressing down arrow...you are good to go..
once you connect a player to aux-in..select aux..by pressing source...You are done!!
Old 18th January 2007, 13:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

turn it off. press function button. navigate to AUX. switch to on mode.
Old 18th January 2007, 14:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Nope, e_l. Ad1tya got a 3.5mm Jack to Tape converter. That is, there is a dummy cassette thingy at one end and a regular 3.5mm jack at the other. The 3.5mm jack goes into the iPod and the cassette-thing goes into the tape deck. This is not what I was talking about.
Hydra,will this tape-converter thing help me if i add a cassette player [HU] to my ICE system?
Old 18th January 2007, 14:18   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Hydra,will this tape-converter thing help me if i add a cassette player [HU] to my ICE system?
Doc, an ipod cable is a lot cheaper than a tape deck. I think you have an alpine HU that plays CDs Right? if you are not using cassette otherwise why add the complexity. Were you thinking of this - ipod via casstte adapter to cassette player, cassette player via Aux in to CD HU.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:57   #14
BHPian

navin,i dont have i-pod yet though i plan to get one in near future.
Actually i want to use my casettes in ICE and for that i have 2 options ....

1.Use my sony/phillips walkman but then i need Ai-net cable and something to power walkman from 12v output of car.Can also use AA batteries.
2.Install cassette player HU and connect its power/ground wire to alpine HU but what about remote turn-on wire for cassette HU?AFAIK i may not need it.
If there is cassette HU which has aux out,then i can connect these two HU via this Ai-net cable.Right?

But my main problem is finding ai-net cable.Few months back,LBM told me thats its available for 650/Rs [later 'revised' to 1000/Rs] in New Delhi but its easier for me to get it from states than New Delhi.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 18th January 2007 at 16:02.
Old 19th January 2007, 14:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
navin,i dont have i-pod yet though i plan to get one in near future.
Actually i want to use my casettes in ICE and for that i have 2 options
Your 3rd option is to rip your cassetes to Hard disk and then use an ipod or other hard disk based player. remember you dont have to rip to MP3 there are lots of nicer formats out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks