Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2006, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

6.5" coaxials in home

hi,

was just wondering what would be the difference in output if I plan to use 6.5" coaxials powered by home amp in my home ceiling.

I mean options do exist for specialized in ceiling speakers; but was unable to make out the difference. Can somebody help please?

I plan to use quality speakers like JBL, Hertz, Alpine etc.
Old 25th November 2006, 15:58   #2
BANNED

Why pay more for car speakers when you can get decent home speakers for less amount?

Car speakers are designed to sound appropriate in their specific applications. No need to spend extra for that when you can get good solutions for less.
Old 25th November 2006, 19:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanx speedzak....pay more for car speakers?? I toh thot car speakers are cheaper, that was the whole idea.

can u plz suggest me some good brands? JBL in ceiling (SP6C) is expensive than 6.5" car coaxials. (SAM bhaiya kahan ho?)

idea is to acertain if there would be a difference in the output?
Old 25th November 2006, 19:12   #4
BANNED

Hey man! This is Team-BHP ICE forum.

Now, Navin will come and kick our backsides verry badly if we are gonna discuss home audio here.

Check out with a nice home audio dealer. And get speakers which comes built in their own boxes to make things easier.

Sam ko PM karna!!! (ooops!!! he prefers email).
Old 26th November 2006, 23:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Panky,

Sorry for the late reply, I was busy at the Autocar show.

Let me explain without getting too technical and without googling anything that you can google up anyways.

Car speakers are essentially short-throw speakers. The distance between the driver and the car is shorter than any other application. Ceiling speakers are designed to sound better at the different distance.

There are many that would say a speaker is a speaker and many that would use home speaker drivers in their car. Navin uses high quality midranges normally used in a home speaker, in his car.

Car speakers are also designed to be very efficient, however home speakers have lesser efficiency. Again without getting too technical, i'd like to say that some of the higher end, clean sounding home speakers have pretty low efficiency by design.
The reason car speakers have high efficiency is because of the lack of power in a car. All amplifier voltages are upscaled (chopped and boosted) from a 12V battery. Also the same reason why car speakers have lower impedance (typically 2 to 4ohms) while home speakers are typically 6 to 16 ohms (8 is a standard for many)

Now let is come to the SP6C (6" coaxial ceiling speaker for home use) versus the GTO637( 6" coaxial speaker for car use)

You are right, the GTO607 costs 4000/- a pair while the SP6C costs 9000/- a pair. The GTO637 is a typical high quality car speakers with characteristics not unlike what i mentioned earlier.

The SP6C is a high quality aluminium driver with a pure titanium tweeter in the dead centre (for even dispersion). The tweeter is on a swivel head, just in case you need to shift the focus of the highs. It is a nice sounding 8 ohms speaker, with a heavy duty dust and moisture resistant construction, with a grille that comes pre-coated with a primer, allowing you to paint it the colour of your ceiling. .. Enough reasons for it to cost more than the good old 637.

Otherwise, regular ceiling speakers from other manufacturers are avialble from 500 to 3000/- a pair.

That said, you CAN use a nice car speaker in your ceiling, it's not such a big no no.

I hope that satisfies you Panky, my dear.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 26th November 2006 at 23:30.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

I have seen this done by many commercial establishments incl my dentist and barber. The sound is bass shy to say the least. Sam has clearly itterated the resons why without getting into the more mundane issues of transducer design and intallation requirements.

Last edited by navin : 27th November 2006 at 13:39.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

yeah, the music sounds very flat. we see these setups in parlours, stores etc. probably you could think of putting a couple of subs too to enhance the bass.
Old 27th November 2006, 14:44   #8
BHPian

But Navin and E_L,do parlours,barbers,dentists install high-end car speakers like focal,infinty,boston,polk audio?I dont think so.
They probably install sony,pio or some local brands like dapic.
What if someone wants to use high-end spk for home use and for lack of bass add some sub as well?What would be the SQ as compared to simliarly priced home audio system?

Few months back i though of getting a pair each of comp+coax 6.5" infinty kappa and using my spare sub,all powered by 4-ch amp+mono sub.

OT I dont think we r discussing OT here but infact this may be one of the better ICE thread.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 27th November 2006, 17:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

Doc I think we were talking about generic coax speakers not Focal etc...

if someone has high end needs one would not use ceiling speakers last of car speakers in the ceiling. Remember one pillar of high end is imaging and from any ceiling speaker accurate imaging will be very limted.
Old 27th November 2006, 17:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even satellite speakers could be hung from the wall. Could be damn cost effective.

@rsj even high end car apeakers are not going to sound great in a room, that too on the ceiling. what do you say ?
Old 28th November 2006, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

thanx everyone (specially SAM).... i just saw ur replies. well, lemme try my hands on experimenting once and will get back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks