Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Amp for existing Baleno Setup

Hi forum,

After much reading and asking question on the forum and off it, Bought a new maruti baleno (Lxi) on the 16th of Nov' 06. Also when it came to the ICE turmed back to the ever helpful and always present TEAM- BHP after going through the various threads and excercising my knowledge..

Now the current situation is:

A brand new baleno Lxi

HU: Alpine 9846E
Speakers
Front: JBL CS2165
Rear: JBL GTO937

Now I am not a loud buff but someone who will love music from Panthera to the vivaldi 4 seasons to bollywood.. I just want to add an amp for some added crispness of sound.

I need assistance from the gurus of mobile sound to suggest "should I go for a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp" and then which brand should I go for with the current setup in mind.

Also how much will it cost me to buy it and any other suggestions, they are more than welcome...
Old 7th December 2006, 23:03   #2
BHPian

congrates on buying new car!!

It all depends on ur budget but ideally,u should go for 4-ch over 2-ch amp as u can power all spk from single amp and moreover later if u need to add sub,u can use 2 channels of amp to power that sub and feed rear spk from HU's internal amp.
Cheapest 4-ch amp would be sony for abt 5k.next real VFM is pio6100 for 7k but w/o B&W and then Kicker,JBL50.4,75.4,alpine and audison etc.
U will also need amp kit+spk wire as well.here u can buy china made amp kit for 500-800 which we dont recommend,kicker,JBL,audison.

Do tell us ur budget to get bit more specific answer.
Old 8th December 2006, 02:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

As already suggested by Rsj, you should have to go for 4 channel amp so later when you want to add sub you can use 2 ch for sub and 2 ch for front.

What is your budget ? if you are looking for value for money than you have to buy either Pioneer 6100 4 ch or 6200 4 ch amp. other options are JBL,audiobahn.

Mugen_Power.
Old 8th December 2006, 02:45   #4
BANNED

How many preouts does your HU have?
If it's more than 1, close your eyes and get a 4channel amp.

How much is your budget for this amp?
Old 8th December 2006, 13:37   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys,

My HU is with 1 preout and the following specs
  • 45W x 4 (Max), 16W x 4 (RMS) Power Amplifier
  • 1 PreOut
  • MP3 Playback
  • MP3 ID3 Tag Display
  • Max Tune Tuner
  • Subwoofer Level Control
  • Anti Theft Detachable Face
  • Remote Control Ready
  • Rotary Encoder Knob
  • Bass/Treble Center Frequency Control
  • Loudness
Though budget in not a problem but would still wanna save as much possible( Firm beliver quality does not come cheap), Still would not want to spend more than 7 for the same. Wiring should be good else there is no fun spending so much on the system itself.

Also have learnt a lot about the importance of good wiring from the forum.

As far as the Sub is concerned not sure if I ever will go for it. Hopefuly now you can help me better.

Again thanks a lot guys for the help.

Last edited by Speedme : 8th December 2006 at 13:46.
Old 8th December 2006, 15:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

a 4 ch amp is a bit more flexible. i'd consider the pio 6200 that costs about 7k as a good place to start. add 2-3k for RCA wires and install.
Old 8th December 2006, 15:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

With only 1 pre-out, your options are a bit limited as far as flexibility is concerned. 1 pre-out + subwoofer level control means that that pre-out is actually meant as a sub-out.

Option 1
You can use this preout for a 4-channel amp that accepts one input for all 4 output channels (most do). Ideally this amp should have a pre-out too, so you can give that output to another amp in a daisy-chain fashion if you feel the need for a sub later. (My old Kenwood Amp KAC-848 I think had both options).

The problem with this setup is that you will not be able to fade the output between front and back from your HU. The fading will have to be controlled with the gains settings on the amp.

Option 2
You can get an amp that takes speaker-level inputs. Your speaker wires will act as the inputs for the amp. There will be a small hit in sound quality, but you will be able to use the fader function in your HU, and you will be able to use the sub-out in your HU for another amp for a sub if you plan one later. And, you will be able to control the sub-level from the HU too. (My old KAC-848 had this speaker-level input option too).

Did you mention that you are ready to spend 7K for the wiring alone, or that you are ready to spend 7K for the wiring and the Amp? If it is the second (I hate saying latter), unless you go for real cheap options, it will not work out.

Wiring: You will be able to an Audison Power cable set (FPK300 - Rs 3500/-) and RCA set (FT2600 - Rs 1000/-). This is the best option. A little costly, but it will last as long as the car, and give you very good output.

Amp: A good 4-ch amp will run to at least 8K. We don't recommend the cheaper Sony amps. The JBL CS60.4 is a very good amp. It will come to 9000/-, but it is good value for money, and it will go very well with your alrealy JBL speaker setup.
Old 8th December 2006, 17:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

budget? can I quote an option with a new HU?

dont forget that adding an amp means you would need to spend decent money on installation...2k or so.

and, do get 4 channel the Pio as navin said as it can mix 2 4 channel out even with a pair of inputs.
Old 9th December 2006, 12:05   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
dont forget that adding an amp means you would need to spend decent money on installation...2k or so.
and, do get 4 channel the Pio as navin said as it can mix 2 4 channel out even with a pair of inputs.
Rs. per watt a 4 ch. amp is most economical.

JK, what ever happened to the intall with the Rs. 1L amp.
Old 9th December 2006, 17:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Rs. per watt a 4 ch. amp is most economical.

JK, what ever happened to the intall with the Rs. 1L amp.
that thing sound superb! Me and KB was kindof dancing in his car hearing Thriller and sorts on our way to Masinagudi ( for a TBHP meet). Oh and I still remember that Pink Floyd he played in it. Oh super....
Old 10th December 2006, 13:24   #11
BHPian

Hey JK whatz the gig with Rs. 1L amp (the one naveen is talking about)

Does such a beast exist???

Well i guess I should opt for a 4 Channel pio or a Blau, Since the reviews are not in favour of Sony so will elude the same from my search.
Then I can power all 4 speakers from a single amp, and if some day that is one day i feel the need for an Sub then I can power the rear GTO937's from the HU and the sub can be power happy...

On one of the threads by revtech, Sam has said in regard to the availability of a 10" bass tube by JBL... Maybe some time will go with that.

Hey Naveen, The pio still do the job for it...
Old 10th December 2006, 13:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes it does :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedme View Post
Hey JK whatz the gig with Rs. 1L amp (the one naveen is talking about)

yes it does, TRU TECHNOLOGY T03 4.150

Read more about it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/244258-post203.html
Old 10th December 2006, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedme View Post
Why yes it does... here it is in the hands of the prowd owner...

Old 10th December 2006, 23:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Gunbir,

Any more pics ?
Where is the KB and KB's installation Pics ?

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 11th December 2006, 09:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

i guess he sleeps in his car these days & never goes to work. LOL

Most Viewed